Aussies Living Simply

Want to save some more Money?

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Living within your means Want to save some more Money?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    chester

Stop for a minute, think about it what do you do with that magazine or newspaper you just bought, Throw it out with the recycle rubbish when ya finished reading it ?Notice different mags all carry the same story Paris, Britney, same craps all over. It cost MONEY you could be saving. Don’t get me started on the smoking thing, And what about those coffees we all buy first thing in the morning on the way to work, bottle water is it any better than tap water, freeze a bottle the night before and take that with you. How about making your lunch for work instead of buying something, at least you know whats in it. Add all those expenses up and see how much you are wasting If you don’t believe me keep track on what you spend for a month. We decided not to buy any more mags, don’t smoke anyway, and not buy takeaways on the road anymore. Its up to you:):

Anja

In our street all the neighbours know each other so when one buys a magazine, it usually gets passed around to several people before it gets thrown out. We get to keep up with the ‘news’ and not spend a fortune!

roadwarrior

And what about those coffees we all buy first thing in the morning on the way to work

Caffeine is an addictive drug. It’s effects decrease as your body gets used to it and you need to take more to have the same effect.

I’ve always been caffeine/coffee/tea free, and arrive at work more alert than all my other collegues. Two of the guys I work with have a coffee each hour.

You’ll find if you give it up you won’t need it anymore…aside from a few mad cravings every now-and-then.

kimble

Two of the guys I work with have a coffee each hour.

That was me once. Then I discovered my Blood Presure was sky high due to my smoking and caffeine habits..

You’ll find if you give it up you won’t need it anymore…aside from a few mad cravings every now-and-then

This is true, I week of feeling like crap, then its all good except for the odd cravings which make you want to kill stuff to get a fix LOL πŸ˜†

Geoff

Didn’t some great philosopher once say something about how hollow and pointless life would be without coffee? How all those millenia of evolution would be wasted if it were suddenly done away with? Or was that just me?

πŸ˜†

Mumchook

geoff wrote:

Didn’t some great philosopher once say something about how hollow and pointless life would be without coffee? How all those millenia of evolution would be wasted if it were suddenly done away with? Or was that just me? πŸ˜†

Sir Christopher of Belize, I imagine!

πŸ˜†

πŸ˜†

πŸ˜†

stark

by not buying anything what are we meant to do with the extra money?

live like peasants and die rich?

george best a famous soccer player was once asked how he lost millions of dollars he earned and replied “Most of my money i spent on booze and women the rest i just wasted”a far better motto for life from my point of view:clap:

Chezza

We have a coffee shop open in the street behind where I work….During the breaks you often see coworkers race down for a coffee that they can drink at their desks…By the end of the day the waste paper bins are overflowing with throw away coffee mugs…..What a waste!!

chester

Nothing wrong with drinking coffee, your work place should provide tea/coffee free not as good as coffee shop. My objection to mags, some folk buy 2/3 per week, some running the same stories, this week He’s going to leave me, then he’s might cheat on me, someone had a boob job….. who gives a sh… anyway. Best you have to pay to read it. Is that wishfull thinking Stark, I am sure if you had a few million, you would spend it bit wiser the Mr Best.

forest

george best ended up an alcoholic and died much too early. Great role model.

Stark, chester is giving ways of drinking coffee and having lunch without spending a lot of money on it. With that saved money you could pay off your mortgage and retire early. There is a lot of space in between the “stark realities” of living like a peasant and dying an alcoholic.

sapphire

there are so many ways to reduce spending and still have everything you want

the key is in sharing ideas and education

what is good for one may not be for another and all the rest of those wonderful quotable quotes

for cold drinks .. fill your container to one third with water/drink then freeze over night .. then in the morning fill to top and go .. this means no frozen solid drink at 11 am πŸ˜†

i have several bottles with one third frozen water like this in the freezer most times ready for any quick exits

i believe coffee and tea are overated but yes they have their uses πŸ˜‰

NavChick

stark wrote:

by not buying anything what are we meant to do with the extra money?

live like peasants and die rich?

Hardly… I spend it on things that I get a lot more than 10 mins enjoyment out of (rather than the time it takes to flip thru a glossy mag).

You could invest in super, put it on your kid’s mortgage, get an expensive hobby, buy CDs…

Living simply isn’t about peasantry. DH and I still have what we want and need (with some notable exceptions like $150000 cars) – we don’t go without (who gives a flying f whether Britney is niteclubbing with Paris). In fact we go on holidays more often than most other people we know. I still buy the odd coffee, he gets his lunch from work… but who needs the lastest pair of [insert expensive shoe brand here]???

JMHO

liz_gcmama

Hey, if you live a simple life but your one “extravagance” is a pricey coffee at the Cafe across the road from work, then more power to you! It’s all about choices. For some unknown reason, people actually enjoy reading trashy gossip magazines. That’s cool, they can still have a “simple life” with that being their “thing”. I remember a thread here about having a shower but grtting wet, turning the shower off, sudsing up, rinsing off etc and one member said “All well and good but we have a LONG hot shower as our reward at the end of the day for slogging it out doing “simple life” things. A long hot shower is one of our simple pleasures in life”. Or something to that effect.

Stark, don’t be so miserable!

stark

touchy aint we…when did i say george best was a role model..u just made that up to suit yourself

point was we can get way to petty about or spending etc for the so called cause and lose sight of life itself

its all about perceptions really…like if i worked for a oil company or big multi national i would be torn between the money and wanting to do the right thing by the enviroment…but i think if you choose the money you lose the right to preach to others on living a simple life so i would chose my concience

Mumchook

liz_gcmama wrote:

Hey, if you live a simple life but your one “extravagance” is a pricey coffee at the Cafe across the road from work, then more power to you! It’s all about choices.

and

I remember a thread here about having a shower but grtting wet, turning the shower off, sudsing up, rinsing off etc and one member said “All well and good but we have a LONG hot shower as our reward at the end of the day for slogging it out doing “simple life” things. A long hot shower is one of our simple pleasures in life”. Or something to that effect.

You’re absolutely right, Liz – it comes down to choices. Choices and attitude.

I get a coffee occasionally and I occasionally have a (longer) hot shower, depending on the water we have at the time and whether I have an aching back (see thread on reducing our water consumption challenge)! I like a good coffee however at home and at work I drink water and herbal tea, so feel it’s okay to lash out once in a while. Simple living doesn’t have to mean total deprivation.

If I didn’t have the money or I didn’t have the water I wouldn’t do it. If I’m saving for a particular goal then I’m extra careful with money. We’re not extravagent people living a frivolous lifestyle, but just occasionally, we say darn it – we’ve been working hard, we’re off to the movies tonight! Or some such thing. And enjoy it all the more as it’s well earned, so to speak.

I shall tell you about an experience I’ve had this week – cruise right on by if you don’t like stories or long posts! It may or may not be appropriate for this thread however relates to choices.

Hubby and I were asked if we wanted to have a 50% share in an investment property this week. It’s not that expensive and has the potential for a good return down the track. It’s an old house (lots of potential just there, it’s got “good bones”) with approval already set in place for a subdivision of the backyard and a 3 bedroom home to be built at the back. The other people really think it’s a great idea and may buy it on their own. I just couldn’t. I like the existing home (great timber floors, high ceilings, etc) but from an ethical point of view, if I’m going to be throwing my hard earned cash into an investment property it’s got to be along reasonably environmentally sound lines. I realise that these people, or others, are going to buy it and probably make money on it one day. I just cannot be part of a plan to build a second home squashed up against the back door of the front one, both having to forgo a yard of any sort bar a paved courtyard or some such thing. One saving grace was that council will not allow a big tree to be removed. Otherwise, just about everything else would have to be ripped out. Hot, confining little boxy rooms with no thought to orientation, cross breezes etc. The DA was approved prior to environmental specifications being passed by council, so the others weren’t interested in putting in a water tank etc if they didn’t need to. They probably think I’m nuts, but there you go! Fortunately DH listened to what I had to say and even if he may not have agreed with me entirely, he agreed to not go ahead with it.

End of story!

πŸ˜†

Edited to add a couple of things:

That Stark posted his message whilst I was still typing mine, which ties in with my lil’ story. So, Stark – yes, I went with my conscience. Some people do not and others cannot – for the time being. However I believe if you’re in the position to be able to choose then you choose what is best for the highest good of all, not just your pocket or immediate gratification.

Often I think our threads here are like preaching to the converted. However I also think that we have a degree of responsibility to impart information to others and to lead by example. Be good role models, if you like.

πŸ˜‰

:uhoh:

πŸ˜†

The other thing I’m adding is to say I’m not against medium density housing either and realise that in many regions there is a housing shortage or a land shortage – or both. It’s just that I believe we should go about it in a more environmentally sound manner, not just build little – or big – hotboxes that then require airconditioning etc and don’t take into consideration seasons, angles of sun, position on the block etc…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.