Aussies Living Simply

Vintage hand-cranked Singer sewing machine

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Spinning, Dyeing, Knitting, Sewing, Weaving Vintage hand-cranked Singer sewing machine

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    roadwarriorroadwarrior

I bet when you woke up this morning you wouldn’t have thought you’d be reading a thread by yours truly about sewing.

However achievements like this deserve a certain amount of celebration. Not only was I able to successfully thread my vintage, hand-cranked Singer sewing machine, including bobbin and shuttle, but I made my own heat wheat bag using the leg from an old pair of corduroy trousers.

The stitching may be a bit wobbly (only using one hand requires some skill), and originally the bag was so big I couldn’t fit it in the microwave, but it’s now happily sitting on my shoulder soothing the days aches and pains away. Group hug! :hug:

rw

Attached files

GiannaGianna

That’s a great little machine RW and you’ve done a wonderful job on the wheatbag. I’ve got a 1926 Singer Treadle and I love it to bits. Hehe “group hug”. :hug:

HTHT

Nice work RW :clap:

I think if 50 is the new 40 than that sewing machine is the new must have,becaue I clearly need one…..didn’t know I needed one till I saw your :kiss:

HT

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

well done

roadwarriorroadwarrior

The machine is a model 28-K, which I think was built around 1901. So that’s 110 years old and still going strong. Bet you couldn’t say that about any machines sold today. In another 110 years this thing will probably still be going.

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Jolly good job :tup:

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

Well done RW :clap: Do you have a serial number for your wonderful looking machine or just the model number?

Ive got a treadle from 1912 which Im yet to try out, must get around to it and see how it goes. (and then add it to the stockpiled list :tup: )

pennypenny

Love the old ones- I have a treadle as well and love it. Not only does it sew but it is in such a beautiful carved cabinet which looks good as a piece of furniture. We use the top of ours as a table. :clap:

great job RW , i have my grans old singer treadle machine , but it was left under a leaky roof and needs a major overhaul 🙁 , one day i will get it looked at and fixed up , still turns tho which is good and i still have her box of needles,bobbins and alternate feet for different materials/things u use them for , as well.

BronBron

gorgeous machine and great job on the wheatie!

roadwarriorroadwarrior

A few afternoons ago I got the kids to help me make two more heat bags, this time out of the second trouser leg. I was a bit more sensible, cutting the leg in half and making two smaller bags instead of a single huge one. The kids each had turns winding the machine. They all loved it! And are now very proud of their own little heat bags.

In fact I can’t get them to sleep without them. It’s becoming a nightly ritual to bung them in the microwave and give them to the girls, otherwise they won’t go to sleep. In fact daughter number two is sound asleep next to me right now as I type, with her head cushioned on the bag as she watched me type.

It’s funny how something so simple can have such a profound impact on your life; an object made by our hands is now their favourite thing.

rw

NeataNeata

:tup: Wonderful :hug:

roundthebendroundthebend

The old singer manuals ( and treadlies) are great……………learnt to sew on a treadly :whistle: ( showing my age!).

My electric sewing machine is now 30years old and nearly worn out and you have got me thinking about tracking down an oldy but goody now :laugh:

The wheat bags make great gifts as well 😉

GiannaGianna

roadwarrior post=321616 wrote: A few afternoons ago I got the kids to help me make two more heat bags, this time out of the second trouser leg. I was a bit more sensible, cutting the leg in half and making two smaller bags instead of a single huge one. The kids each had turns winding the machine. They all loved it! And are now very proud of their own little heat bags.

In fact I can’t get them to sleep without them. It’s becoming a nightly ritual to bung them in the microwave and give them to the girls, otherwise they won’t go to sleep. In fact daughter number two is sound asleep next to me right now as I type, with her head cushioned on the bag as she watched me type.

It’s funny how something so simple can have such a profound impact on your life; an object made by our hands is now their favourite thing.

rw

That’s really nice. :hug:

mountainmummountainmum

Great work RW- and how lovely for your kids :clap: Fine example of upcycling!

I’ve made a lot of these (out of cord fabric too) and they sold like hotcakes at the market, probably because the shop ones are ridiculously expensive and made of horrible cheap fleece :S

I made some ‘sectioned’ ones too- they are great for necks etc as the wheat doesn’t all fall to one end. (Make longer shape, fill a third, sew, fill 2nd third, sew, fill, close. Easy peasy- but shops charge around $30!! )

And I agree, they do make fine gifts too, everyone loves a bit of warmth :hug:

So whats next on your Singer sewing quest? 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.