Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Very interesting talk given at Low Carb Down Under conference

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Life Changes Very interesting talk given at Low Carb Down Under conference

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    BronBron

The information on this video may just change your life 😉 It’s 19 minutes long but is worth seeing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL0sZiSWe2M

SnagsSnags

That is quite eye opening.

Who would thought fructose was the bogey man.

My wife and eye are reorganising our pantry and shopping list accordingly.

Thanks for that…..I think….. as I now feel guilty gorging on my ripe peaches. :dry:

ZeitgeistZeitgeist

Finally a scientist that tells the truth, not just about fructose but cholesterol, give this guy a medal {seriously}. :tup: Now if only he’d mentioned the amount of processed foods that have high fructose corn syrup in them. Had he done that, the presentation would have gone much longer and scared the absolute bejesus out of everyone there.

Don’t worry too much about your peaches Snags, like he said eat your fruit in season and if you eat too much your bum will let you know. :sick: The biggest concern with fruit is when it’s turned into juice, heaps of fructose, no fibre. Nature designed fruit to be eaten as fruit when in season, then humans screwed with it. Nature also designed humans to eat seasonally. If humans really thought about things they would realise that we are just cavemen with mobile phones, we have not physically evolved to any measureable degree since the time of the hunter gatherer.

The obesity and disease epidemic in modern society is a direct result of humans ignoring the laws of nature. This link might help prove my point http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/45045

Good post Bron :tup:

SnagsSnags

Beside all the fructose in processed food.

Supermarkets are designed to give us bananas all year and globalisation ensures we can have US cherries and grapes in winter and ours in summer.

Not to mention Australias varied climate zones allow us to have many fruits all year or over prolonged periods.

Adds on TV tell us to have fruit its healthy (as well as tonnes of junk food but we know thats no good)

The problem even goes back to the Macedonian’s introducing fruits from Asia to Europe Marco Polo introducing fruits from China to Europe and the Spanish introducing fruits from Latin America to Europe.

Then add fridges and trucks

We in the affluent multi cultural West have a massively diverse diet not only saturated in fast foods but consisting of foods that aren’t traditional or seasonal.(but delicious)

You travel through the 3rd world and the food is predominantly fresh local and seasonal.

Even rural Europe is still pretty regional and seasonal.

Unfortunately

When living in the Sub tropics with a permaculture food forest we can selective plant trees that will produce fruit for a long period of time for the whole year.

And lets not think about preserving to have our favourite foods out of season.

More of a necessity for colder climes and a luxury and financial buffer in warmer climes.

We have abundance.

The human body has adapted for feast and famine,we are too affluent and hedonistic for our own good.

AirgeadAirgead

Actually… scientific evidence for frutose being a serious bogyman here is basically zero. After all, its been part of our diet (in fruit – fructose = fruit sugar) for millions of years.

There are zero credible, peer reviewed papers linking fructose to anything much. It has the feel of truthiness about it but there is zero actual evidence.

There is good evidence that high fructose combined with high fat and salt (the so called bliss point) is addictive however. This is why modern junk food (which is designed around the bliss point) is so harmful.

But fructose on its own. Nahhhh.

Balanced diet. No too much. Not too little.

The plural of annecdote is not data…

Cheers

Dave

porgeyporgey

Airgead post=351374 wrote: Actually… scientific evidence for frutose being a serious bogyman here is basically zero. After all, its been part of our diet (in fruit – fructose = fruit sugar) for millions of years.

But fructose on its own. Nahhhh.

Balanced diet. No too much. Not too little.

The plural of annecdote is not data…

Cheers

Dave

I have always struggled with my weight for various reasons, including stuffing my face with “food” that has more in common with a laboratory than a jungle. Bliss eating is great while it lasts, and junk food scientists, psychologists and marketers have got there penny from me over the years, but it can be a bugger to keep ones weight under control.

Nature gave us so much of the right foods to eat and there lies the answer. Eat foods that are as close to nature as you can, mainly raw, and excess weight should not be a problem I am trying to stick to a predominately raw diet this summer to help shed kilos and that includes lots of raw fruit fructose. Time will tell if I am on the right track.

MetuMetu

I respectfully disagree there is no scientific evidence behind fructose being bad for the digestive system. The research into diabetes alone, documents the effects on all sugars in the body (not just fructose) and they’ve found not only is food high in fructose addictive, but it also impedes the digestive process in order to consume it in high amounts.

The fruit our ancestors used to eat, was seasonal wild fruit, not the hybridised fruit we now breed for higher sugar content. So people eating a regular amount of fruit in their diet today, are consuming way more sugar than their ancestors.

A lot of the research into what causes chronic disease and how to treat them, have found food to be the main issue for investigation. Those developing these diseases have the genetic make-up to reject fructose, gluten, and various forms of proteins, but all derived from the consumption of food.

The numbers of people developing these chronic conditions are climbing so high that the research into which genes are responsible, are not that reliable. Not as much as researching how certain foods impact on the digestive process. I’m not suggesting there’s no research into the gene connection, it just takes longer. There’s certainly more information to be found in relatioon to the foods people are consuming, because there are so many people with food issues now.

AirgeadAirgead

Indeed… we do eat much more sugar than we used to. In fact we eat way more calories in general than we used to.

Modern processed food is designed to be addictive and is massively energy dense. Fructose isn’t the problem here. Its addictive energy dense food. I will re-iterate – there is no scientific evidence at all that fructose has any different effects on the body that other simple sugars (glucose, sucrose, maltose, etc).

Its not fructose. its the fact that we are eating more and exercising less.

Calories in no longer equal calories out and we gain weight.

“Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.”

Eat less.

Move more.

porgeyporgey

Interesting.

Origin Food, Origin Movement.

MetuMetu

Fructose “is” energy dense food. Arsenic doesn’t kill people when eaten in limited quantities either. What does it do to your digestive process over a lifetime of consumption though? If you alter your digestive system through what you eat, you will alter the way “energy” is stored in the body altogether.

Cummulative effect, cannot be researched in the short time-frames often given to research papers. The problems start to manifest however, in the ongoing research into chronic illness – of which obesity (problems storing fat) is one of the biggest epidemics of the 21st century.

porgeyporgey

The answer really is quite simple; eat and move the way nature intended! Medicos, food processors, even the government may not like this simple and effective approach but more original foods and more movement will almost guarantee good health.

Of course the execution is a bit harder!

BobbeeBobbee

I hope I am not off-topic, I don’t think so, but :shrug:

We eat fruit ‘in season’, eg right now strawberries and boysonberries and locouts are ripe and taste great so we (perhaps I mean ‘I’) am eating these fruits like there is no tomorrow.

I have them with every meal, as I expect humans from the cavewomen onwards, have always done so. When the fruits we grow are ripe we eat them. We also preserve them for times of no fresh fruits. BUT I eat the berries au naturale, no added ice cream, cream, custard or other yummo additives like sugar. Just delicious fresh fruit.

My blood glucose levels remain stable. At every meal I have protein.

When the berries are finished then I will eat the next fruit in line. I am talking home grown here.

SnagsSnags

From Harvard Medical School

Is fructose bad for you?

The short answer is yes. I’m not an expert on sugar metabolism, but I’ll tell you what the experts at Harvard Medical School tell me.

There is considerable evidence that today’s high levels of fructose are harmful.

Virtually every cell in the body can break down glucose for energy. In contrast, about the only cells that can get energy directly from fructose are liver cells. What the liver does with fructose, especially when high levels enter it, has potentially dangerous consequences for our health.

When fructose enters the liver, it goes through a series of changes. One remarkable change is that the liver uses fructose, a carbohydrate, to create fat.

Give the liver enough fructose, and tiny fat droplets begin to accumulate in liver cells. This buildup is called non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. It looks like what happens in the livers of people who drink too much alcohol.

http://www.askdoctork.com/is-fructose-bad-for-you-201205301909

In modern diets HFCS

is the major source in manufactured foods not fresh fruit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-fructose_corn_syrup

ZeitgeistZeitgeist

And a link from Princeton University about the effects of high fructose corn syrup http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07/ . This may also help dispell the myth that all calories are created equal.

casalentacasalenta

Airgead post=351374 wrote: Actually… scientific evidence for frutose being a serious bogyman here is basically zero. After all, its been part of our diet (in fruit – fructose = fruit sugar) for millions of years.

There are zero credible, peer reviewed papers linking fructose to anything much. It has the feel of truthiness about it but there is zero actual evidence.

Cheers

Dave

Dave, there is a problem with relying on peer-reviewed papers on research in that someone has to pay for the research, and in health that’s generally the pharmaceutical companies. If there’s nothing in it for them they won’t pay and it’s difficult for scientists to get funding to do the research in the first place. Hence, no or few peer-reviewed papers.

Fruit of course is no problem – if it’s eaten in a natural way, which means eating the fruit not the juice and eating only fruit that’s in season. We no longer eat fruit the way we have for millions of years, and that’s the basic problem.

My two cents.

Linda

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.