Aussies Living Simply

Vegetarians, vegans, omnivores…Is it all about food?

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Life Changes Vegetarians, vegans, omnivores…Is it all about food?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    MelroseMelrose

I saw another post on here about this topic but it was all about the food. I’ve always wanted to ask a vegetarian their thoughts on things like leather? Natural food colourings? sheepskin? Manure used in gardens bought from your local bunnings or garden centre.

Some people go on about the food we eat how it’s produced is it humane. but what about the byproducts? Leather? Certain Soaps? Skins? Manure? So on and so forth. If you buy these products you are obviously (either negatively or positively) affecting the industry.

Opinions?

threedogsthreedogs

I am vegetarian. In regard to other animal ‘by products’ (awful term), I try to avoid as much as possible.

But I am not perfect. In Buddhism we ‘practice’. That is we try to do our best but recognise that in this reality we will often fail or fall short. I recognise that despite all good intentions, I am not always going to eliminate things from my life which may cause suffering to other sentient beings. I just keep on trying…

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

Hi Melrose and thanks for the post

I have only been a vegetarian for about 5 years … so need to make up for a lot … 😉

Do I own a leather belt/ wallet etc .. yep. Will I replace it with same? Probably not. I’d prefer a substitute material now. I avoid food colourings if I can, and generally make my own soap out of vegetable oil.

The aim on my property will be to grow and care for my own. Yes, I do like dairy, eggs, honey etc. (in a previous thread I was considering the pros and cons of veganism, but don’t think it is for me). It is hoped the animals on my property will live a stress free life to provide some of my needs. I don’t see this as exploitation – more symbiotic. I’ll look after them: they look after me.

If an ‘industry’ causes pain and suffering to an animal, I will avoid that product, preferring to purchase from an ethical supplier. If that means the industry goes bust, well and good, or they can change their ways.

As threedogs said (though I’m not buddhist) I can only try to do my bit in an effort to ‘improve’ my lot.

casalentacasalenta

Andre post=354590 wrote:

The aim on my property will be to grow and care for my own. Yes, I do like dairy, eggs, honey etc. (in a previous thread I was considering the pros and cons of veganism, but don’t think it is for me). It is hoped the animals on my property will live a stress free life to provide some of my needs. I don’t see this as exploitation – more symbiotic. I’ll look after them: they look after me.

…..

As threedogs said (though I’m not buddhist) I can only try to do my bit in an effort to ‘improve’ my lot.

It sounds like you’ve given it all a great deal of thought, which is great. On the other products thing though – okay if you’re not eating meat I can see why you wouldn’t want leather (and this is one reason why vegan makes more sense to me, although I wouldn’t want to be one). But if you’re going to kill your animals for food on your farm, isn’t it more ethical to use every possible part of the animal than just selected bits? So skin for leather, feathers for down in pillows, eating the offal, etc. using everything possible? So, if you were going to kill a cow for meat, wouldn’t it make sense to use the leather too? What should happen to the leather?

I remember being extremely confronted once by John Walmsey who ran a native animal sanctuary in South Australia and who hated feral cats. He trapped them, but instead of burying the carcasses he skinned them and made hats with them. I was very confronted at the time, but I think I see now what he was about.

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

Yep. I agree wholeheartedly. If I was going to kill an animal, this is what my preference would be (utilising every bit). However, that’s not my intention. 🙂

I should add, if I had to put an animal down due to injury/sickness … I’d hope to be able to do so as quickly and ‘painlessly’ as possible. Perhaps I should undertake some training in this area before I bring in the livestock … 😉

casalentacasalenta

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe the RSPCA does courses, or maybe you could do firearms training? (It seems one of the main reason most farmers have a gun is to put injured/sick animals out of their misery.) I’ve been very glad on many occasions that I’ve done several senior first aid courses. The courses were on humans, but other animals are pretty similar in lots of ways. I saved my dog’s life when she was a few months old – twice – and now she’s beside me nine years old and snoring away! (Once was saving her from choking, and once from a nasty injury and arterial bleeding.) I think it might be a good idea for everyone to do first aid.

AirgeadAirgead

A mate o- f mine is a vegan and will not wear leather. He’s won’t wear plastics etc derived from petrochemicals.

Tell you what, its not easy to fond belts or shoes that don’t use one or other of those.

Cheers

Dave

GirlFridayGirlFriday

No I dont think its all about the food but more about how the animal is disrespected in the current industrial system. We dont eat store bought chicken any more after watching Food Inc (my little boy cried at how the chooks were treated) and have raised and butchered our own. We dont use the feathers in pillows etc but they are high in nutrients so provide our trees with a good boost of fertaliser. Also I choose not to cut their throats and let them bleed out first (i think i would object if someone did it to me) so we do the chop. They are all used to being handled so dont panic when we pick them up.

We are hoping to raise our own pork and beef too and will get a farm butcher out to do the deed. That way we know the creature has been well looked after and had a good life. I have a friend who has already claimed the hides as he knows how to cure them and makes drums out of them.

Both hubby and I are in the process of getting our gun license too as the act of owning an animal means we are also responsible to make sure it doesnt suffer. I am sure I will offend everyone with this post but I dont think a bullet to the head of an animal who has had a good life and been well looked after is cruel. Buying meat from the supermarket and pleading ignorance on how it got there is.

SnagsSnags

Nearly everybody likes a sausage but no one really wants to see one made from scratch.

casalentacasalenta

I totally agree GirlFriday, especially about the disrespect and supermarket meat. There are worse things than death and being an animal in a factory farm is one of them.

casalentacasalenta

Airgead post=354622 wrote: A mate o- f mine is a vegan and will not wear leather. He’s won’t wear plastics etc derived from petrochemicals.

Tell you what, its not easy to fond belts or shoes that don’t use one or other of those.

Cheers

Dave

I recalled reading somewhere about animal products in car tyres, so I looked it up and found this: http://www.treehugger.com/green-food/9-everyday-products-you-didnt-know-had-animal-ingredients.html It’s amazing how many products animal parts get into, and as the article says at the end, they’re most likely to come from factory farm animals.

GirlFridayGirlFriday

I have made my own sausages- they were pretty good too. Nothing like what the shops sell which makes me wonder what on earth is in the shop ones- no wonder they are known as ‘mystery bags’.

So many of our medicines (including herbal preparations) are tested on rats/ guinea pigs/ mice/ dogs so do vegans swear off medicine as well? Just a question- not trying to start a riot. I am studying Western Herbal Medicine at uni and so many of the research papers talk about how some disease or damage was induced in x creature to test whether the compound worked or not. Then at x days’ duration they were killed and autopsied. So much for my view that herbal medicine would be more gentle :-/

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster
    AndreAndre
    Keymaster

Humbug post=354759 wrote: Is this the sexiest vegan over 50 ever.. ??

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=VdeC3OJJIzA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DVdeC3OJJIzA

Are we talkin’ about me again??

oh.. you said ‘vegan’…

I’m not quite there yet. 😆

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

LOL Andre… not unless you have long blonde hair, are 71 years young & have recently had a sex change 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.