Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Vegetarian recipes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    mistyhollowsmistyhollows

Hi ALSer’s,

For health reasons we are changing over to a vegetarian diet. As I am doing this slowly I am gradually introducing new meals. Does anyone have any tried and true vegetarian recipes that they use?

casalentacasalenta

I have a great book called ‘Meals without Meat’ by Alison Holst, and if you can get hold of it I highly recommend it. One of the really good things about this book is that there are a number of recipes that are vegetarian analogues of meat meals, which go down well with those who are making a transition.

For example, you can replace minced beef with red kidney beans in almost every recipe, such as Shepherd’s Pie, just substitute red kidney beans for the meat and make the potato component richer by adding cream or cheese. The same goes for beef stroganoff and burgers.

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

Thanks casalenta. I had thought of using brown lentils to replace beef in shepards pie and spag bol but hadn’t considered kidney beans. Might have to try that one.

BobbeeBobbee

mistyhollows I mash beans when I use them in some recipes as Mr Bobbs has an aversion to ‘whole’ beans. He doesn’t know the mashed stuff is beans unless I use red kidney beans which have a distinctive taste (and colour).

I think I have mentioned elsewhere that I often start with stir fryed veg and then add tofu, beans, fish or whatever. Works well for us.

🙂

PS: Mashed beans are a great base for all kinds of burgers too, also mashed tofu. Change the shape of the burgers or rissoles and call them croquettes.

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

Funny you mention beans Bobbs. I bought a few tins of butter beans today to try on the kids mashed up and mixed in LOL.

It’s going to be a bit of a slow process as we use up the meat in the freezer I had piled up but I’m finding new recipes to use and just have to be brave enough to face the onslaught when they are dished up without meat. DH is fine with it but DS2 may not be so happy :dry:

I’m wondering if I can turn mashed up beans into some type of chicken type nugget? I’m thinking an egg with some mashed potato as well to bind it all together then roll it in bread crumbs??

BelBel
    beckcurbeckcur

Hi Mistyhollows,

My DH and me (more me) have also gone Vego. We are still eating some seafood, mainly salmon and tuna. We’ve changed for a few reasons but also have found it difficult to find receipes. I did find a product called TVP – textured vegetable protein, that you can use as a mince substitute. You buy it dehydrated from many health food shops and some aisles of the supermarket. You soak it in vegie stock and use when you need mince. It smells weird, so you need a very strong flavoured food base to hide the smell. Something like Bolognese or Shepards Pie is perfect. We’ve substituted it in burritos, with a little added red kidney beans also.

Good luck

Beck

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

Thanks for that link Bel. I’m finding it hard to find recipes as well beckcur. I had a salad with nuts sprinkled over for lunch today and then got a major case of the munchies late arvo. I think I should have added more protein at lunch :laugh:

GirlFridayGirlFriday

I was going to suggest the brown lentils too 🙂 TVP works in spaghetti sauce if its one of those sit-on-the-stove-and-simmer type sauces because it lets all the flavours develop and mingle and hide the tvp taste.

I love adding cashew nuts to stir fries for crunch and protein.

Bean mash works well with corn chips and salsa for nachos.

Years ago our ‘roast’ was a seasoned yorkshire pudding with all the roast vege trimmings and gravy. Yummy!

Butter beans can be mashed and mixed with salt and herbs to make a good sandwich spread for school lunches as well.

Will you eat eggs? They are an excellent source of all sorts of nutrients.

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

Yep will eat eggs as we have our own chookies. Will probably eat fish occasionally so I guess that’ll be classed as pescetarian not vegetarian but I’d rather the natural source of fish oil as much as possible and not out of a bottle.

We’re still getting through the freezer as I had a huge backlog in there but I’m down to vegetarian prob every 2-3 days now. It’s a bit of a slow change over.

GirlFridayGirlFriday

We eat vegetarian at least three times a week (and for those who dont like it they are always free to cook their own- they never do though 😉

Pizza can taste terrific without meat (in fact I prefer it that way)

Fritatta when the chooks are going all out with the laying is a good dinner too- I keep the leftover veges from the roast or steam some up and chuck it in a huge baking dish (there are 6 of us after all) and pour eggs whisked with milk over the top and bake it. Its great for teenage lunchboxes the next day too.

Stir fry veges with cashews and pumpkin kernels and rice noodles is nice- if you have time you can cook up eggs in a thin omlette and slice it on top too- very popular in my house.

Nick CarrollNick Carroll

I find looking for traditional recipes works well. Throughout history all cultures have had there standard veg recipes. Mexican beans, French onion soup, fried rice with egg, baked beans, tomato sugo with kidney beans, eggs baked in a tomato sugo etc. this style if recipe usually tastes great.

Also I’ve read recently that new research is saying that you don’t have to worry about eating legumes and grain in one meal. As long as you get them across true day. We generally do combine them thou, as there are so many great trad recipes.

It does take a while to find recipes you like and enjoy.

I’ve been veg/vegan for 15 years, but for the last 5 years have started eating fish from the sea and the odd chock from the back yard.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the challenge

goodfoodgoodfood

Google it.

pavbenthpavbenth

The interwebs is alive with resources but it can be difficult to find the good ones.

A few of my favourites:

She Cooks She Gardens (Not just food, gardening too)

What The Hell Do Vegans Eat Anyway?

The Veggie Mama

I was vegan for 4 years. When I first started out I found the easiest way to cook was to veganise dishes I already liked. Burgers, lasagne, bolognese, pizza… these are all dishes that can be made vegetarian or vegan without too much fuss.

One tip: steer clear of the heavily processed “faux” meats. Some are quite okay – the Eatwell veggie burger patties from Coles, my god they’re delicious and they’re made from whole ingredients – but most are rubbish.

pavbenthpavbenth

The interwebs is alive with resources but it can be difficult to find the good ones.

A few of my favourites:

She Cooks She Gardens (Not just food, gardening too)

What The Hell Do Vegans Eat Anyway?

The Veggie Mama

I was vegan for 4 years. When I first started out I found the easiest way to cook was to veganise dishes I already liked. Burgers, lasagne, bolognese, pizza… these are all dishes that can be made vegetarian or vegan without too much fuss. When eating out, most non-western cuisines have heaps of vegetarian and vegan options. Think: Indian, Chinese, Thai, Italian, Middle Eastern.

One tip: steer clear of heavily processed “faux” meats. Some are quite okay – the Eatwell veggie burger patties from Coles, my god they’re delicious and they’re made from whole ingredients… They’re not really “faux meat” though – but most are rubbish.

Nowadays I have introduced a bit of meat back into my diet, along with dairy and eggs. (I don’t know whether it is the right decision yet but we’ll see.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.