Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Using treated pine shavings?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BronBron

I’m guessing the answer will be ‘nothing’ but just in case it isn’t 🙂

I have a large pile of treated pine shavings. I know they can’t go onto a normal garden bed, but what about an area full of weeds? How long does it take the poison to leach out? Or will it simply kill all the worms and organisms in the soil?

Just trying to find a use for it, rather than sending it to the dump (which is as bad, I suppose, cos won’t it kill the bacteria that helps decompose the rubbish?)

XioXio

Treated with what?

Arsenic?

something else?

Xio

JarnJarn

Just trying to find a use for it, rather than sending it to the dump (which is as bad, I suppose, cos won’t it kill the bacteria that helps decompose the rubbish?)

There is no decomposing of rubbish at the dump, the dump is lined ( usually with concrete) to stop leaching but also stops the normal process of macro-invertebrates moving in and the practice stops oxygen from reaching the rubbish so there is no breaking down. A decommissioned tip close to where I live approx 2 years back had to dig a section up as the lining had failed and toxins were leaking into the sub soils, anyway a 25 year old newspaper was unearthed in slightly crushed but perfect condition (no decomposition at all).

Arsenic was the primary additive in treated pine, some of the new ones do not use it now due to concerns in its use in children’s playgrounds, but it will break down into the soil making the soil unhealthy, and unsafe for a very long time, not to mention the leaching into the water table. best to send it to the dump at least the toxic materials are all in the one place and are being monitored and sealed in. :cheer:

Anonymous

usually the product comes with a warning to dump off cuts and sawdust, we had battens done under our house and builder made a point of saying don’t use it, put it in the bin.

len

BronBron

Thanks all. I’m not sure what it has been treated with. So will continue to include it in the rubbish bin 🙁

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.