Aussies Living Simply

using mushroom compost & cow manure

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables using mushroom compost & cow manure

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    bplumbplum

I have made my first straw bale garden, and have been planting seedlings into “nests” in the straw which i have filled with a blend of commercial potting mix, decomposed cow manure and blood & bone, which seems to be working OK. i ran out of potting mix & planted some seedlings directly into decomposed cow manure, and others into mushroom compost.

Will this burn the roots? any sugestions or advice appreciated.

Lyn BagnallLyn Bagnall

Seedlings can be planted directly into compost but uncomposted fertilisers can burn the roots of plants as the water the seedlings will absorb will be a stronger solution of fertiliser than that those where potting mix has been included. Mushroom compost hasn’t gone through quite the same process as general compost and it’s treated with a lot of lime before sale. This can make some plant nutrients unavailable to your seedlings, resulting in various diseases. The ones in the decomposed cow manure will probably suffer the least problems. Over-fertilised plants are attractive to some garden pests. I’d say try and get some more potting mix a.s.a.p. 🙂

bplumbplum

Thanks Lyn

i will do that, & replant asap.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.