Aussies Living Simply

Urban Homesteading….

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Living within your means Urban Homesteading….

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    GirlFriday

our house is on 1600m2 and i love it. we have horse paddocks across the road so while we are only 20 min from the city (and the motorway noise cheeses me off in the early morning) it still feels kinda rural. I have a vege patch, a worm farm, three compost bins, 6 chooks and fruit trees. my kids have a sandpit, trampoline, hammocks, swing set and swimming pool. Im gradulaly reducing the amount of grass we have (useless stuff) and putting in more gardens. today i spent the afternoon shovelling stinky mushroom compost that we got for $25 for a massive ute load.:D

Hi fl800229, you probably got the mushroom compost from Park Ridge Mushroom farm, we occassionally get some from there, first Saturday of the month when it’s for sale and yes it can be stinky stuff sometimes but does the garden good. Good price though $25 for a trailer or ute load and they pile high too.

Eira Clapton

We have 600 sq metres, so we are just hoping to supplement our food by growing things, not totally be self-suficient. Nevertheless, it still feels like an achievement to pick your own limes for your own G & T, or harvest rainbow chard for a quick omelet. I love fresh herbs for the kitchen.

I am encouraged by Josh Byrne’s garden on Gardening Australia – a tiny place in Fremantle, yet he can grow so much there. Last night’s show had some good ideas for fruiting plants which can grow in pots.

Eira Clapton

Bumping up this thread to see if any of you are willing to share your ideas of urban homesteading.

I know there are the garden log threads, but a space for us city folks is most encouraging.

thepoolroom

We’re on 600 m2, with a fairly large house and not a lot of usable garden space. Still, we’re trying to maximise what we do have. We’re also just starting to rebuild the front yard (mainly to give the kids a level, fenced grassed area to play), and will be putting in a lot of fruiting shrubs and trees as that progresses.

We’ve got a worm farm, 3 compost heaps, and 3 chooks. We grow a fair amount of vegies, mushrooms under the house, and make our own ginger beer.

We’re planning rainwater tanks soon, and possibly solar hot water and grid-connected solar power. Maybe a greywater system too, to water the fruit trees in the front yard.

You can follow our progress on the blog below…

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Nimrodel

Sorry to break it to you Becca and Theresa but I think I win in the ‘smallest yard’ stakes – I have a 2br apartment and a balcony! Eagerly dreaming of the day I have more space but until then I am filling up every spare inch with growing things. Pics at my blog 😀 http://www.ittybittyhomestead.blogspot.com/

becca

Yay for balconies, right?! Took a look at your blog – you’re using the space so well, congratulations! I’ll bet it’s a little haven away from the cityness. What do you do about green waste – could I suggest a bokashi bin if you don’t have anything? Really great for balconies, and because you’ve pots etc, you could even use the product at the bottom of your pots with potting mix on top.

Wombat

baldcat wrote:

for all yo uurbanites 🙂 check out this thread

https://www.aussieslivingsimply.com.au/forum/viewthread.php?forum_id=51&thread_id=13046

Yup, I emailed her!

Nev

Nimrodel

Hi Becca, I do have a bokashi bin and have used the contents mixed half and half with potting mix as I have added new pots, but it doesn’t seem able to handle the amount of organic matter we produce and also takes a while to break down. I have considered converting it to a worm farm because I thought maybe they could chew through it faster. I can still drain the liquid out the bottom and slowly flood the worms to get them to the top when it is full, scoop them out, empty the bin and start again. I wont be fussed if a few of the worms end up in the pots. Not sure how well it would work though :shrug:

Eira Clapton

Bit of a win this week. Telstra man on the block next door told my son he was really impressed with my garden! Helped me see how far we have come in a relatively short time.

I must admit that it does take experience to learn what works and what doesn’t work in growing food in a small space. My raised garden bed (one of those things like a sawn off water tank) has been excellent, and my other veggie beds are improving as I learn to look after the soil.

We are harvesting :

celery

silverbeet

zucchini

salad leaves

at the moment,

and we are hoping to see soon in our harvest:

cherry tomatoes

cucumber

beans

onions and garlic

eggplant

I have started to plant more fruit and I think this can be improved quite easily on a small block. Passionfruit on the fence for example.

I won’t have enough space for chickens, but we do have worms and the local birds are quite helpful at pest control if we leave water out for them.

I have resorted to some pots for herbs and tender leaves because I have had such dramas over the summer here in Perth/

Pictures on my blog if anyone wants a peek

Wombat

Wombat wrote:

baldcat wrote:

https://www.aussieslivingsimply.com.au/forum/viewthread.php?forum_id=51&thread_id=13046

Yup, I emailed her!

Nev

But no reponse!

Nev

jaygee

Wombat wrote:

Wombat wrote:

baldcat wrote:

Yup, I emailed her!

Nev

But no reponse!

Nev

No response to my email either Nev, I was just wondering if it got filtered out into her spam folder, but I guess it did go through now. :shrug:

Roquen

Thought I’d pop in here and give the run down on our little setup.

We want acres, but are stuck with our 460 sqm place for now! We have a small 3 bedroom home and a very sloped front and back yard which makes things a little difficult!

Ok my setup:

COMPOST CORNER – is around one side of the house – 3 large bins

GARDEN SHED – same side flush against house wall – shed is 3m x 1.5m

CHOOK PEN – is a colorbond aviary with external nest box 2.4m x 1.5m (see gallery) this is located back right corner of the backyard

VEGIE GARDEN – (see gallery) is back left corner of the backyard – fenced with star posts and covered in bird netting as we have a lot of myna birds here. I have 2 x square foot gardens 1.2m x 1.2m, and a few other edge beds plus some pots. I’m growing: carrot, zucchini, cucumber, tomato, lettuce, spinach, chilli, strawberries, oranges, kale, beetroot, herbs and so on.

WATER TANK – DIY 230L barrel with downpipe diverter. I installed a tap and fill a watering can from here for the vegies.

I also run grey water from washing machine to the grass out the back.

We bake our own bread, make yoghurt and so on.

I decided this year even though I can’t be back on a farm just yet, I’d make do. The chooks are a hit with the neighbours kids and they love the eggs we share too. I may be extending the vegie patch to go all the way up to the chook pen, which would give me room for our potatos as well as a few other veg I can’t squeeze in.

Metu

Roquen, you made my heart flutter with the neighbours kids going ga-ga over your chooks. What a way to share the experience with a younger generation. :tup:

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.