Aussies Living Simply

Turning 2 acres into a profitable business

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Turning 2 acres into a profitable business

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Friends of ours sell eggs from their front gate for $3.50 a doz… They have 20 chooks and can’t keep up with demand. I know they shouldn’t but no ones stopped them in approx 2 years. They also sell voluteer pumpkins that spring up all over the place… Would be a great little earner…

porgey

BV, the most important thing is to do what is right for you, your family and possibly your community. You appear to be on the right track by talking it over with your hubby and hopefully you can include your children in the decision making process.

Its so disapointing to me that schooling and occupation has become so separated from family, friends and community. Why we unwittingly out source so many things these days is another topic but I can next to guarantee that you will get more out of an integrated organic home and garden than you will ever get from a shop, school, or work place.

As I wrote before if you can reduce your outgoings then your existing income can go so far. Even better if you can involve the kids, hubby and friends.

I agree Porgey… My little family is on a very limited imcome and we have cut out many things… Reducing your outgoings is very clever way to make the best use out of the $$ you have… It is fun to think of new ways to be frugal…

One way I’ve learnt to save spending money is to try and keep the things I have well maintained, esp the mowers etc… I never used to and when I decided to start it was a huge jop… I decided that if I use the saw I would wipe it over with oil and put it away properly. Gradually worked my way through all my tools maintaining them when I used them…

Thanks porgey. Yes, the children are always involved in things that affect our lives. My bigger one, who is just 6 years old wants to start her own seedling business & sell the seedlings on a stand out the front of our place. Bless her. We will make it happen. What a wonderful & rich life experience for her.

garden_girl

Hi,

I am looking at trying to do similar and supplement my income from our land. A couple of books I have come across are from the author Sarah Beth Aubrey. They are called “The Profitable Hobby Farm” and “Starting and Running your own Small Farm Business”. I can’t tell you what they are like cause I only ordered them from Fishpond this week and haven’t got them yet, but you might be able to get them from a library.

On 2 acres I would agree with the others that livestock is probably out of the question, so that leaves growing something. In deciding what that should be there are a couple of things I would suggest you consider in making your decision.

1) look for things that sell at a premium in small amounts. EG. a small punnet of raspberries was selling in our local supermarket for a price that worked out to be $40/kg, better than green beans at $4/kg.

2) There seems to be (but probably not always) more money to be made in valued added products. EG. selling preserves compared to the raw produce.

3) Try to find a gap that your can fill. Check out your local markets and see whats missing, the less competition the better.

4) and of course something that won’t be too hard to grow in your climate/soils etc.

Good luck.

mauzi

Agree totally with bring up children in a self sufficient lifestyle. Our boys are now 22 and 21 and were bought up this way. The biggest difference I notice is that they are much more creative, have learned a lot of skills that most young people do not have (most adults for that matter) and their attitude is, if I can’t afford to buy it, I can make it…it is fantastic to see how they automatically think of how to make something, rather than first think how can I buy that.

In a way, becoming self sufficient was the best decision we ever made (bar moving to Tasmania ha! ha!)otherwise we would have stayed working in a way we did not want to, living in a way to buy things we did not need in the first place, and in many ways, selling our souls and wishing away our lives. Strong words, but so true … well for us anyway.

One of the things I did in the early stages, was to see what I did as a job (not forgetting to also enjoy the lifestyle), but in truth, what do you work for … to put food on the table etc. and so my contribution of growing our own food, breeding high quality animals for ourselves and to pass on as breeding stock to others…trade …. (to purchase some of the other goods, make crafts, and so forth. For many years our total extra food expenses was $25.00 per week and that was for 4 people. One of our boys is 7′, the other 6’5 and hubby 6’3, so you can imagine what they ate 😆

Dayla

Oh my goodness Mauzi what have you fed your boys on to grow so tall?

How tall are you?

Dayla

mauzi

😆 all that good organic food …DH is a Chef as well 😆 and country life. I am 5’6″. The tallness comes from DH’s line. Out of 70 of them, he is the second shortest (at 6’3) so that says a lot. DS 1 is now the tallest at 7’1″ as he reminds me not to forget the extra inch 😆 which I do constantly.

Steve
    Keymaster

mauzi post=335715 wrote: DS 1 is now the tallest at 7’1″ as he reminds me not to forget the extra inch 😆 which I do constantly

haha 1 inch out of 85 is very important! 🙂

mauzi

:D: seems to be 😆

Bel

Last summer the kids and i painted a sign for selling our excess produce. We set up out the front of our place alongside a main road and sold all our veg before long. I reckon we made about $50 or so from extra veg we just happened to have on that one day. I always plant too much and it was easy to sell excess, even from our suburban block. I also sell excess eggs & veg at work. Selling seedlings is a good idea – something I would do if I had the time.

Sprite

If you like grafting, one way of making a decent amount is to graft some fruit trees. Dwarfing root stocks, if bought in bulk, are about $3 each. If you then sell your trees for $24 (which seems to be what a customer is prepared to pay for a fruit tree), that is an eight fold profit.

The beauty of selling trees is that they are perpetual, if you don’t sell some this year, you can always sell them as more mature stock next year.

dianne
    Participant

thats a great idea Sprite, thanks for the idea. :tup:

Iduna

No one has talked about growing snails. They live just about everywhere and eat just about anything. Restaurants and bistros pay a lot for for live purged snails and they don’t take up much space. The hard part would be finding the buyer.

Greth

Having seen your place, you arent on a main road, so would have trouble selling at the gate. Your rainfall is pretty good, should be able to grow almost anything there. You already have quite a lot of established fruit trees, and doing well on that regard.

As you seem to be good at poultry, have you considered rarer beasties like pheasant and quail? Even pheasant feathers are worth a fair bit for hatmaking etc, a consideration.

May be able to help you a bit with feed, DH is working at a wheat mill now and we are getting some products to use as animal feed.

But my horticulture lecturers oft repeated advice – find your market first, before you invest in a single seedling, let the market dictate what you grow, or you could end up putting a lot of work into doing something which will not be saleable.

Theres prob quite a few herbs I could start you out with, which would have good sales potential either as potted plants or dried product. Some would do far better in your climate than ours. When our new shed is fitted out it will be animal proofed to be suitable for food production, hopefully, but dont hold your breath just now!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.