Aussies Living Simply

Turkey in slow cooker?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    starruby

Since I have to go to my sisters home for lunch and I’m having my DH rellos for dinner I was thinking that maybe I would put the frozen turkey breat roll in the slow cooker with veggies etc so I don’t have to rush home to get it cooked.

Does anyone have any suggestions for recipes? I found a nice one using turkey thighs,(which has veggies and gravy) could I just cut the breast roll in chunks to substitute it?

also on a different note I’m in the process of cooking Lyns lovely Christmas pudding recipe. But I don’t think I should have started it after being in a Westfield for 5 hours :jawdrop: cause I forgot to add the golden syrup and bicarb :p Its being cooking two hours and smells sooo yummy will is still be ok? I don’t wont to give it to my doggies as Christmas dinner

thanks so much

Sandra

Bobbee

A good cook I am not so I can’t help you Sandra.

But I am sure someone will be able too.

Just keep bumping until you get some help.

:hug::hug:

narelleh

not sure re pudding but if smells good prob taste ok too;)

i would just cook the turkey breast roll as i would a chicken in the slow cooker would be equiv size wouldn’t it ?

Eira Clapton
    Participant

I think the bicarb is part of the rising agent for the pudding – I think it reacts with the fruit to make it a bit lighter, but as Christmas pudding is hardly a light cake I doubt anyone would notice.

The golden syrup is a form of sugar, but you probably had other sugars in there as well, or just put a bit more in the custard and no-one will notice!

I agree about the turkey -treat it as a chicken in the slow cooker and you should be OK.

Turkey thighs have the bone in, and the roll doesn’t so I would not cut it into chunks until serving time if it were me. Might cause it to overcook and fall apart …

starruby

Thanks so much for the replies. I didn’t think about treating it like chicken what a good idea. :tup:

The pudding is finished and I unwrapped it a bit and cut a little off and it tastes ok but I think I’ll put a bit more sugar in the custard like suggested – we’ve all got sweet toothes in our house so noone will complain.

Thanks again and have a Merry Christmas:hug:

sandra

weaver

Hi Starruby

I always cook my roast in the slow cooker on low for a couple of hours and finish in the oven to brown off.

I usually put a mix of either stock or water, some herbs and some baby onions in, Enough to come up at least half way on the lump of meat. I have never had a failure yet. Mmmmm love turkey.

Weaver

Bubba Louie

You are going to thaw it first aren’t you?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.