Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Trying to declutter – who else finds it hard?

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Organisation and Decluttering Trying to declutter – who else finds it hard?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    HumanFriendHumanFriend

I like clutter. Saving for a rainy day or the next generation has certainly helped me out by my own parents. Maybe it’s because of modern day affluence that the fashion is now to not do this? Either that or because things used to be better made compared with now?

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

You have  point a there HumanFriend, a lot of( “stuff” kept will come in handy one day is my DH’s motto ) 

SnagsSnags

Ive been breaking down my old chesterfield couch
    It died and it was real sad nearly 30 years of service
    Ive kepts ome of the good leather
    Kept as much wood as I can thats worth keeping and breaking the rest down into small packages I can get rid of

dentydogdentydog

Yes totally agree that certain things will be of use, most of my house is furnished with second hand goods, lots from my parents/grandparents. But I have found having too much becomes impractical, in that I can’t find it or there is no room to store it.

One that is an issue is old video tapes, have looked up recycling options and had friends check it out too, but alas there doesn’t seem to be any options for these at this stage in our locality, other than the bin, but still holding out hope! Will certainly see if I can sell or give away or repurpose these before I throw them in the bin.

SnagsSnags

Ive got a box of VHS the librarian wants them to watch so she is getting them.
    Other than using the tape as bird scarers I cant see what else can be done,
    Maybe a retro wall sculpture ???

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

I need to do a bit more declutter here – only inside stuff though 🙂
    nothing from outside

dentydogdentydog

Yes snags there are a few out there ideas on Pintrest etc for various video crafts, not sure they rock my world, but hoping I have a brainwave at some point!

SnagsSnags

My pile is getting smaller

AUSSIEDOWNUNDERAUSSIEDOWNUNDER
    Participant

Took a ute load to the tip today bought 1/2 a ute load back so i am winning

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I’ve been thinking today I must declutter the kitchen but everytime I pick up something it brings back memories .. like the glass dish Mum used to make baked custard, the heavy glass jelly mold that jellies were made in for   special occasions, all the dishes we used at Christmas for sweets and nuts, the glass butter dish, the depression glass, the flower vase with frog …. I know they are all old most being 60yrs+ old but they are still useful….. magazines and cook books I don’t have too much trouble with.

SnagsSnags

I just inherited a second set of stainless steel saucepans …My ones are excellent quality but the new ones have glass lids, stay cool silicone  handles but arent as robust…..I dont need both,I dont have room for both but they are both good in their own way…….decisions deciosions 

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Well you could be like Solomon and keep half of each  :))

TropicalRoseTropicalRose
    Participant

I am in the not so fortunate position of having moved 3000 kms with very little and generously having so many people’s ‘stuff’ dumped on me to help me out. Too polite to say no. Now I have to deal with getting rid of it instead of it being their problem. I am more of a minimalist and even the op shops wouldn’t want some of it. Sigh

AUSSIEDOWNUNDERAUSSIEDOWNUNDER
    Participant

Yes o know what you mean on the last move took a load to the op shop and they knocked ti back

SnagsSnags

We had the local op shop come and take their pick from the MiL flat when she went to the nursing home…..I got rid of heaps more stuff today from my place….priorities keep changing…the stuff I kept to do something with has sat there long enough and need to find a new home….still heaps to go

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.