Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Trying to declutter – who else finds it hard?

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Organisation and Decluttering Trying to declutter – who else finds it hard?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    dentydogdentydog

If you love it or use it keep it… easier said than done with books! But very rewarding to pass books on and have someone appreciate it, feels good to know the books is being loved by someone and not just gathering dust!

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

there are times when I get so fed up with the whole lot, it’s very easy to declutter

Eli_MunnEli_Munn

I threw out all the things I don’t need. Stuck with Scanpan, and several others. My life is beautiful again. 🙂

dentydogdentydog

Glad to hear decluttering is making your life good Eli_Munn!!!

And yes calliecat, some days it is easy, others not so 🙂

JazJaz

School went back last week and so that means it’s spring cleaning time. I divide the house into areas and tackle one each week of term, everything gets sorted and cleared out to stay on top of the clutter. I moved 8 times in 12 years so my personal clutter is quite minimal, and avoid the shops at all cost so tend to not bring much home with me. My biggest problem is the clutter that other people bring to my house, all the bits my kids get from extended family and then there is the junk my dad brings around. When I first moved in with a toddler and a newborn he would come around 5 days a week and bring a bag of ‘shed stuff’ every time, plonking it on my kitchen bench, I just threw them out in the shed and haven’t got around to sorting them yet, I am determined that this year will be the year, I will be able to find a screwdriver when I need one 🙂

dentydogdentydog

The shed…. putting that off, even though it really needs doing as I can never find anything when I want or need it…. but have been tackling my wardrobe the last couple of days, OMG I have so many clothes. Have been looking at these “wardrobe capsules” online, and I think this may help me, as nearly everything I am taking out is one off, as in it doesn’t match other or go with other things so has limited use really, even if it looks nice… mind you the pile I took out doesn’t seem to have made much of a dent there is still lots in there…. wish me luck…

BubbyBubby

Being an artist, its so difficult to throw things out and have the best excuse to collect and recycle things into sculpture, collage, handmade books, mixed media, textile
    artworks etc. in my arts business. I found this article helped,  https://www.onekingslane.com/live-love-home/marie-kondo-book-declutter/ very interesting from the book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo.

I actually tried out the book idea a couple of months ago. I absolutely love books among, other stuff, I collect. I just don’t have enough shelves anymore and cant fit them. I started to de-clutter my books in the bedroom.

Pick up a book  and say to “Does this book give me real joy.Do I use it ?” if not, toss it. I only tossed  20 books out of about 100 in my bedroom. but,boy how better i felt, and just love, looking at my shelf of books now, I really, really love. Its a pleasure. I have even started reading them now. I’m going to keep going through my whole house.

SnagsSnags

Im slowly working on it
    Lots of gifting
    Some selling
    And trying to recycle what I can and break bigger things down to fit in the bin (no ute or trailer)

JazJaz

Well got the house done by the end of term, yay! Started on the shed the other day, 4 green bags sorted and a full 0.5sqm of shed cleaned, it’s going to take a while…..

SnagsSnags

Im still working on it
    It is getting smaller every week

AUSSIEDOWNUNDERAUSSIEDOWNUNDER
    Participant

I took a ute load of junk to the tip yesterday and only bought 1/2 a load back so is that declutering

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

De-cluttering a magical word that my DH some how never seems to hear. He just rearranges it. 

SnagsSnags

A bit more left the building

Im eating the elephant one bite at a time.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

I even decluttered most of my FB friends the other day,

dentydogdentydog

Have been away, so progress has slowed slightly, but will be aiming to continue the declutter in 2016 and hopefully finish it (mostly)

Yes i have heard that book is good Bubby, thinking I will finishing reading my current books and hit up the library for that one!

Glad to hear some of you are making progress 🙂 (lol aussiedownunder… that happens to me a lot…. tips and op shops!)

If I make it through I can then consider crafting or re-purposing things as a reward!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.