Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

True preparedness is not having cases of toilet paper and a propane gas stove………

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Community Activism and Self Nurturing Communities True preparedness is not having cases of toilet paper and a propane gas stove………

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    BlueWrenBlueWren

Do you know about “Yes” magazine?

Here’s an article to get you thinking outside the box……….of toilet paper.

http://www.yesmagazine.org/blogs/shannon-hayes/toilet-paper-preparedness-or-true-resilience

…and there are many other worthwhile reads too.

RobyneRobyne

Interesting reading Its food for thought

haven’t heard of the magazine

BlueWrenBlueWren

I signed up a while ago for the free highlights emails.

Has anyone read “Radical Homemakers” by Shannon Hayes?

fruitfulfruitful

I don’t really understand why she ended up feeling guilty?? Surely they could have helped people with their ‘stash’ and as was mentioned, by being prepared themselves they allowed resources to go to people who really needed it?

I do feel for people who lose everything they have, I haven’t experienced it myself but I try to help when and where I can (if saying a prayer is all I can do I believe it is better than nothing), but I’m not about to beat myself up about it like she did.

:shrug:

Good link though, always something else to learn if you look hard enough. 🙂

BlueWrenBlueWren

I think I need to go and reread that fruitful! Thankyou.

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

fruitful post=343336 wrote: I don’t really understand why she ended up feeling guilty?? Surely they could have helped people with their ‘stash’ and as was mentioned, by being prepared themselves they allowed resources to go to people who really needed it?

I do feel for people who lose everything they have, I haven’t experienced it myself but I try to help when and where I can (if saying a prayer is all I can do I believe it is better than nothing), but I’m not about to beat myself up about it like she did.

:shrug:

Good link though, always something else to learn if you look hard enough. 🙂

I didn’t read it as her feeling guilty but rather she was upset about the judgementsl attitude of her friend. I got from the article that at times like this, it is a community effort. Some lose homes while others ‘are lucky’. The people didn’t have any control over who lost and who didn’t. The disaster was too big for that.

The person that rang was outside of the area and didn’t know what it was likebut was still ready to offer an opinion and judge…

Just what I got from it – I could be entirely wrong… 🙂

fruitfulfruitful

you may be right there Steve, that’s the trouble with print, it’s very one dimensional and I can’t always read between the lines very well!!

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

Me too fruitful. So easy to interpret things in different ways and who’s to say which one is right… :shrug:

🙂

BlueWrenBlueWren
    calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

and I agree with her,

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

I also agree. I’ve just finished reading the three ‘Hunger Games’ books. While they are fiction, they were quite disturbing and I could see in them elements of what this article is about.

BobbeeBobbee

This thread is worth bumping up for floks who may have missed it, imo.

:hug:

roadwarriorroadwarrior

As much as I profess the absolute need to prepare with beans-bullets-an-bandaids, I do agree in part with this article.

However there is a large caveat associated with this agreement. Shannon’s well-meaning friend was right to talk about the possibility of future calamities to come. A flood is a terrible disaster, that’s for sure, but they are relatively easy to prepare for, predict and recover from. If you’ve ever lived through a flood you are probably disagreeing with me, but hear me out.

Imagine if a natural disaster, like a major flood, were to occur right now in Greece. Most people there can’t even pay for simple health care at the moment. Try rebuilding your life without money or friends who are financially stable, or a bank prepared to lend you money to rebuild your home, or the health and fitness required to invest in the effort of recovery.

There are a myriad of infrastructure and economic safety-nets that allowed Shannon and everyone else in her community the ability to recover from the flood, however Shannon is taking these safety-nets for granted because in her life they have always been there. They won’t always be there, and that is what her friend is trying to refer to. They know that there are other disasters knocking at the door that make a flood look like a dip in the pool.

Imagine there is no welfare, superannuation, health care service, government disaster agency, police force or a neighbour with a propane stove and canned food. Then imagine a flood on top of that and you can start to see the real potential for disaster.

Greece is only the beginning, and the contagion is quickly spreading.

rw

BootstrapperBootstrapper

Along the same lines, John Robb appears to be swinging away from military theory, towards resilient communities – http://www.resilientcommunities.com/

An island of sufficiency in a sea of abject poverty is going to be a tempting target for predators. There is a need for bullets ‘n Band-Aids.

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

I really feel for the people in Greece, some cannot even afford or if they can afford it even get basic medications for things like asthma and the like. There is a very limited supply.

On the other hand I just read in the news that China’s economy is slowing which in turn affects the Australian economy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.