Aussies Living Simply

Treadle Sewing Machine

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    bella

I am so, so rapt! I went to a LETS Trade Day today and came home with a Singer Treadle Machine in a cabinet. It is an EH serial number, which, according to this site: http://www.ismacs.net/singer/singerdates.html means it was made in 1951-2. It’s marked that it’s made in England.

Has anyone else got this or a similar model? Thoughts, ideas, advice? I have no manual for it, but I see there are some online, such as this (of a much older machine): http://sewing.about.com/library/weekly/aa012400b.htm

It looks like this one below, if a little more scuffed (borrowed pic from online):

wow! Lucky you !!! A treadle machine should be pretty intuitive. They were sold to women who had never owned a machine before in their lives and so were designed to be easy to operate and to understand. Threading is fairly straight forward, and because you are the power source you can go as fast of slow as you want. I would recommend practicing on a sheet of paper before you get stuck into a major project so that you can fiddle tensions if necessary. They will take the usual Singer machine needles so no problems with that.

bella

Thank you HG. πŸ™‚ DH and a couple of the kids had a tentative go this evening (disengaged the side thingy so the needle didn’t move, just the belt). Seems there’s a knack to that treadling?

yep, you have to keep it steady, to start, just give the wheel a whirl. If you whirl it in the other direction it will sew backwards – very simply to operate, once you get the rhythm going …

Chezza

What a score!!!! I bet you were/are excited!!! :tup::clap:

I recently was given a treadly that belonged to a family member. It was made in the mid 40s in Scotland… Luckily it came with all the attachments and the book… I need to get a new belt for it as the little old lady whe owned it had fixed the old belt with a bit of wire. She would have known to “baby’ it when sewing but I just started to sew and off course it got stuck and snapped…

I eventually want to set it up so that I sew mostly with it…. Though I do love my Bernina, a treadly won’t cost anything to run….

I could photocopy my booklet and send to you, if you like. I don’t think the machine itself would have changed too much…. Is it black?

lefty

Hi Bella :wave:

I havve one of these – they are really lovely but do take a little while to get used to – I am still getting the hang of mine. The one thing that I find really important is getting the tension right and holding the threads and gently easing in the directon you are going to start off with.

I chose this model after being given an older machine and finding out that needles are no longer available for many models older than the 1950’s. The model you have takes a standard size 15 needle which is the same as modern machines – a real bonus.

I have a manual which I am happy to photocopy and send to you. PM me with your address and will get it in the mail ASAP.

Enjoy πŸ˜€

Glenda

Robyne

Mines a lot older and is in need of a good service at the moment. The book that’s with it says 1911. Its a Singer.

I can still get needles for mine you need the finer ones.

I went to a garage sale a while ago and found a box of bits for the machine the woman had sold hers and then found all the bits. So I have spare covers for the bobbin needles etc.

Gianna

What a great find. :clap: Like everything, you need to practice a bit. There is a definite knack in the foot action which will come as second nature eventually. I have an old one here.

Chezza

Darn… Didn’t know that about the needles, lefty!!…. I have a few packs that came with the machine…. I’ll treat them like gold!!!!

baxters6

bella

there should be an sewing machine shop near you try not one of those fancy sewing shops or else find a good singer mechanic, they usually have all sorts of parts. we have one here in dee why. i got given a new one 2 christmas ago. not as strong as my old one (which all still go). i will see if i have an old book with my bits & pieces

bev

bella

Thanks Chezza, Glenda and Bev!

I PMed Chezza, then saw that Glenda (lefty) and Bev might also have books to suit. Let’s see whose is closest to the 1951-2 black Made in England model and I’ll get a copy of their book, please? I’ll pay for copying and postage of course.

I had a Singer before my Janome, a 30-odd year old electric one. I have needles in a packet from that in my sewing box I think. Good to know it’ll take those. I heard along the grapevine that there’s a guy here in the hills somewhere who supplies all the parts, so I’ll chase down his number too.

Bron

woohooo, what a find! have lots of fun with it bel πŸ™‚

Chezza

Any Singer is a good Singer…. :hug: πŸ˜†

Bron

not a modern, low end machine :tongue:

baxters6

sorry i had a look at my old books, nothing there for your model. ours must be older, and the other books are for the first electrical ones. bev

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.