Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Transport Post the Peak

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    PinetreePinetree

So we know the peak has been and gone, we have organised how we are going to feed ourselves (more or less), safety/security (we do what we can).

The next issue I have is Transport, both personal and something to help me do the jobs I will still need to do to survive. Such as collecting firewood and or some work(people will still need carpenters I hope). We are about 20km from town in a area with smaller blocks, with about 30ac of poorish grazing. Enough grass to fattern a few killers, but a horse will be pushing things.

So what are others planning, a lot of walking, push bikes, Bio diesel, horse, electric something….

If you are willing some fors and againsts would be helpful also.

Pinetree

caddiecaddie
    Participant

I have been thinking about this too.

I am 15ks from town so a bit far to walk.

When we were first married we were 30 miles from town and did not just pop in when we needed something. We went to town maybe evry 2 months.

I kept a list and added to it as I went along.

Remembering that MIL only went to town twice a year in a horse and cart so planning was essential.

I guess now either a horse or bike would be a bit much given my age, but it is amazing what one can do when pushed.

I would plan on making as few trips as possible and see how things go.

weaverweaver

I have been thinking about this too. We are 30 kms from town. I am hoping that given it will be an issue for everyone there will be a community response to the issue. I am hoping that perhaps buses will run on biodiesel and rather than just being school buses there may be a community one occasionally.

Another option may be bartering for a ride into town once a month with someone who needs something that I am able to produce.

WazzaWazza

Have thought about a team of horses and a buggy for personal transport, but the nearest town is 23 kms away. A 46 km round trip in one day is too much for horses. There are 8 of us as definite starters and 4 more possibles to form a cooperative this year to produce our own biodiesel. We have visited other farms already doing this and the equipment to do it is available off the shelf from China at reasonable cost.

donkeynomaddonkeynomad

Horses and donkeys are the way to go if you can feed them. I spent a number of years travelling around southern Australia with my pack donkeys, and then with a little trekking cart. Donkeys are easy to handle and large (yes they come in 14 hands and over)ones are great in a cart or under saddle.

Sorry – can’t upload the photos of my working donkeys and my trekking cart

Rowan

I’ve been wanting to get a couple of donkeys too. Ones broken to saddle and cart would be perfect.

Donkeynomad, I’d like to know more – have you started a donkey thread?

veginoutveginout

I’ve always admired mules; they are stronger than donkeys but have more sense than horses. The retired pleasure horses I have agisted here have passed useful work and not broken to harness but do supply barrow fulls of quality ‘base product’.

Realistically I think bio-fuel/hydrogen/gas will be around for a good while yet, just very pricey, so long trips will not happen without good reason/payback.

donkeynomaddonkeynomad

Mules are great but they take very special handling. If you do ANYTHING wrong with them while training they can turn bad, and a bad mule is really BAD – but a good mule is terrific. You have to be trained to train and handle a mule before you should even think of getting one.

PinetreePinetree

Thanks for the thoughts, can I play devils advocate?

caddie, the bike thing sounds alright to me also for personal transport (ie visiting friends etc), particularly if vehicular trafic decreases, the problem I see is carrying a load, I have seen some of those photos of people carrying all sorts of things in asia, but for me 20km to town with a few decent hill both ways??? And I also am not as young as I was yesterday.

Weaver, the school bus is the only public transport out this way now, I would hate to be relying on it post crunch, the driver would be busy trying to feed his family.

Wazza, it sounds like you have the Bio diesel thing well in hand, have you worked out what percentage of land you need to put to crop to supply your needs (read someware 25% ???), also what addatives do you need to turn to oil in to fuel? Are they easy to get hold of? Would you be willing to share links to the equipment suppliers?

I agree with the opinions expressed regarding Horses, Donkeys and mules, my issues with livestock for transport is feeding them for limited productive use(I can not see myself eating horseburgers, then again if I am hungry???), bullocks may be an exception there. Also the amount of Time required to look after/train them?, I am fairly busy now, when I need to produce all our food etc I can see myself being flat out. I understand that bare foot hoofed animals have problems with tar roads also???

Can I throw a few others into the mix

Walking, would be OK for short distances, cheep, safe, alright for light loads, need good boots.

Electric car/tractors etc, Limited range?, pricey, battery life?, Quiet, Charge on solar?, might work for around the block?

Sorry if I am sounding too negative about something you have committed to, if you have decided on an option to suite your needs well done, you are doing better than this little black Duck(sorry white, see avata for details).

Cheers Pinetree

RobyneRobyne

Bio fuel is fine. Somewhere we have to plans for making it, Hubby thought he would run the truck on it. Wouldn’t the government want all bio diesil for their use. Mother Earth as an artical in their earlier aditions on a car that was made during WW2 that burnt wood for fuel :tup:

I did have a tag along for bubs when she was younger but now she wants to ride. Someone near here has a bike she bought through Ebay from China that looks like the old postie bike the one with the huge front with 2 wheels on each side and 2 wheels at the back. 4 wheels all up. She has 4 kids she takes to school in and shopping. I have seenher inthe other town 25ks away. She would of had to travel along the bike track to get there. [Hope it wasn’t too windy.]

Something like this would be good not only transporting kids but lots of things and if it is strong enough maybe a trailer behind could be used. :shrug:

ThalassThalass

I’m going to convert a motorcycle to electric power when i have my licence, which will cost me about $5000 or so, after buying a bike with a dead engine. I should be able to get about 70km or so and i’ll be able cut out most of my own petrol use. The only time i’d need my own car is taking my kids to daycare, and other than the weather i can probably ride on my pushbike with the kids in the trailer – about 5km each way.

Any time we go on longer trips we use the wife’s car anyway, and i might be able to convince her to go electric once Toyota sell one haha

As for charging i’d love to have a wind turbine and some form of solar with battery backup (it’d be really embarrassing if i was late to work because of a power outage) but living in a suburb means i’ll have to deal with neighbours and their “oh no, house prices going down!” crud.

diannedianne
    Participant

when things go, dont you think there will be very little need for long distance travel? :shrug:

maybe once or twice a year for a stock up type of thing from a bigger city, and then wouldnt you turn this into, at the least, over night type of trip. but day to day we will need to be very local based. I think to start thinking about transport in the post oil time we need to change the thinking of how we use transport.

RobyneRobyne

When I clicked on I saw at the side in the articles the bike the woman down here has written by Sonia only she has 2 wheels at the back but other then that it is the exact bike for what she uses it for

DB346DB346

Why would you need to travel to any place? You assume they will have supplies and stuff you can purchase? Is the point missed?

Depends how bad it gets, but I would strongly suspect any travel (unless to a community based market or similar) would not be worth the effort.

Some food for thought. Why will the city or town have goods in the future noting they will be subject to the limitations of fossil fuels and costs?

Hence the immportance of local resilience. Do you really need the items?

You can hope that supplies will continue to be available, but it is certainly not a given. My research into these areas has left me full of doubts noting our reliance on road freight, diesel trains and the fossil fuel inputs in the production of everything.

RuddyCrazyRuddyCrazy

The only thing with making ones own bio diesel is the need for methanol and lye which are used to convert the oil into bio diesel. I do have a good pdf on bio diesel which is attached. It’s one from a US Uni and goes right into it from making it to all the hazards and the legalities for the US anyway. But keep in mind if the mass’s do switch to bio diesel those dictators who run our so called free (no longer lucky) country will soon put a big enough tax on it no-one would be able to afford to make it. Where oil will run out for sure there is an abundance of natural gas here in Oz and even with 99% of it exported there is still enough there for the Oz population for decades. Of course it’s always the same thing out so’called honorable leaders only have a 3 years outlook on life and their pockets are that heavy from big business the good of the mass’s will NEVER be taken into account.

Cheers Bryan

[attachment]agrs103.pdf[/attachment]

GRRRRRRRRR the file attach didn’t work

Edit 2

The file is only 768kb which in reality is only a small pdf file but the forum max size is only 148kb or some ridiculous small figure. If there is a place on this forum for me to include that SMALL pdf file I’ll have to put it there as I can’t put it in the relevant thread.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.