Aussies Living Simply

Transplanting by the moon

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables Transplanting by the moon

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    FeyWindFeyWind

I’m just trying out moon planting… I understand when I should plant things when I direct sow, but how about seedlings? I tend to plant seeds inside, prick them out into small pots at the two leaf stage and keep them in pots until big enough to compete with weeds/snails etc.

So when do I transplant and prick out? In the same quarter as they’re meant to be direct sown in or another?

jeanette kirkJeanie
    Participant

Ask Lyn she will know:tup:

drdreaddrdread

when you feel like it!

when it has just rained!

observe nature – does she wait for a chart to tell her when to sow!

Lyn BagnallLyn Bagnall

FeyWind wrote:

So when do I transplant and prick out? In the same quarter as they’re meant to be direct sown in or another?

Feywind, you can find when to sow or plant out seedlings each month on my blog here.

While moon planting is not essential to successful gardening, it does provide a bit of extra help in getting plants off to a good start. Sowing and pricking out seedlings is done during a suitable phase, but roots of seedlings started in individual cells are not as disturbed by transplanting, and you can be more flexible planting out these. ๐Ÿ™‚

FeyWindFeyWind

Lyn – I’ve been following your blog, but I got confused as to whether you transplant at the same phase as you sow.

Drdread – usually do that – especially as I have 3 kids under 5 and not a lot of time. I just thought I’d experiment with moon planting

Lyn BagnallLyn Bagnall

Sorry FeyWind, if I didn’t make it clear. We found that the timing of sowing seed is more important than the planting out. Most seedlings take at least a couple of weeks to get to transplanting size so, if you sow the seed in the correct phase, seedlings will often be ready to plant out sometime after the moon begins to ‘wax’ again. All seedlings suffer some transplant shock, and planting out annual seedlings pricked out of punnets during the waxing moon phases is said to lessen the shock, but as I said above, seedlings grown in individual tubes have their roots protected by the growing mix, and they don’t seem to suffer much shock in whichever phase they are planted out. Hope I made it clearer this time. If you are too busy to do things at the appropriate moon planting time, prepare punnets early, and sow seed when the time is right. Don’t forget, moon planting was developed by farmers who do this stuff all day, everyday รขโ‚ฌโ€œ not by busy mothers. ๐Ÿ˜€

FeyWindFeyWind

Yup – I was coming to that conclusion about moon planting being for full time farmers, however, it has been reminding me to keep planting each month as I see the moon is right for it. I’m not going to stress too much about it but I will just casually try and give it a go.

Thanks for the advice – that makes it much clearer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.