Aussies Living Simply

Transplanting Arrowroot?

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables Transplanting Arrowroot?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rinelle

Would I hurt my arrowroot if I move it at this time of year, while it’s in full growth? I’m wanting to replace it with something more hedge like (that doesn’t die down at the end of the year), but want to get the new plants in so they get the full summer growing season. Any hints on the best way to move my arrowroot?

Silent

I’m no expert but our arrowroot seems indestructable. I just replanted the tubers/bulbs/whatever and waited. I am pretty sure we have the Queensland variety Canna edulis.

Rinelle

Thanks for that Silent. I think I’ll give it a go, transplant half of it, see how it goes for a week, then do the rest if it survives. It have plenty of it, so it’s unlikely I’m going to lose it all, LOL.

Just wondering if I should cut off the leaves when I transplant it, or leave them on?

Silent

Er…I have no idea. I just dug the tubers out, ate most and put the rest back into the ground. It wasn’t skillful. i guess what I am trying to say is that if I couldn’t kill arrowroot then arrowroot can’t be killed. 😛

We got ours as tiny little brown sticks about the size of my finger. We put them in the ground inside an old tyre. A year later the tyre was so full of tubers I harvested them with a sledgehammer.

I planted the tubers whole and they are growing well. I treated them like potatoes and that seems to work fine.

I wrote this when I first harvested them. I don’t remember much else I’m afraid.

Rinelle

Thanks. Really interesting read. 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.