Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Transition Town – Gawler – 2nd INFORMATION/FILM NIGHT 30 April 2013

Home Forums Regional Groups South Australia Transition Town – Gawler – 2nd INFORMATION/FILM NIGHT 30 April 2013

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    VanessaVanessa

This was mentioned at the GTG yesterday.

And I was able to find this website with some information, seems they are having a meeting this week.

Anyone from the northern suburbs interested??

Anyone else been involved in Transition Towns and want to share their experiences?

Vanessa

jaden62jaden62

What exactly is a Transition Town? I’ve seen it mentioned before, but even that website doesn’t exactly sit down & say “this is what a Transition Town is, & this is what we’d like to do & how we’d like to get it started”. I’m assuming it might be about keeping as many things as possible local (not if the govt has anything to do with it!!), but their information just seems a little abstract.

VanessaVanessa

My understanding and a little bit of google searching is that a Transition Town is to help the community “transition” from the “oil reliant world” of today to the “after the “end of the world as we know it” world” of whenever it is all to happen.

Basically looking at local, and also self reliance and “community” things. (my understanding anyway)

Turns out that I actually work with one of the Co-founders of the Gawler Transition Town.

They have a meeting this Thursday evening which I am hoping to get to to find out more. Chench out here if you are interested http://transitiongawler.org/2012/11/23/205/

VanessaVanessa
    froot_loopzfroot_loopz

Vanessa post=353211 wrote: My understanding and a little bit of google searching is that a Transition Town is to help the community “transition” from the “oil reliant world” of today to the “after the “end of the world as we know it” world” of whenever it is all to happen.

Basically looking at local, and also self reliance and “community” things. (my understanding anyway)

thats how I understand it tooo

beckcurbeckcur

Morning,

Just realised this is “going on” in Gawler, Awesome !! :clap:

But did anyone go last night ??

Beck

VanessaVanessa

I went to the meeting on Thursday night.

In some respects I was a little bit dissapointed because it is in it the really early stages and so they haven’t yet got anything to “offer” yet.

But by attending this meeting and doing a bit more research on “what is this transition thing” I have come to understand that “Transition” is individual to each location, it is not something which is defined by the “organisers”, it is a way to bring people (the community) together and provide them with the means to develop what they are interested in. So although it may be “driven” by the founders or original organisers, it is ultimately shaped by what the community wants. Sort of like putting people in touch with others who have a shared interest then helping them to develop activities/initiatives etc that they have. Or linking into other organised things which are already happening. One idea they have is “chicken linking” which would “link” people who are interested in keeping chickens but dont know where to start with “experienced chicken keepers” who could share information about where to get the chickens, different breeds, how to set up a chook run (maybe even with a permablitz style, chicken run set up, get to gether) all those things which chicken people take for granted and non-chicken people are put off by because they dont know the answers. I hope that all makes sense.

They are in the raising awareness stage at the moment and are organising a film night in Gawler, which will be their first information night. I think the details are still to be confirmed but they should have info on their web page, http://transitiongawler.org

VanessaVanessa

Just letting those who are interested in Transition Gawler know that they are having their first information and Film night at the Gawler Arms this Thursday night at 7pm

See this page for more info http://transitiongawler.org/2013/01/09/transition-1-0-movie-night-in-gawler/

BobbeeBobbee

I think it’s great the way you are keeping everyone,and especially your locals, up to date with the Gawler Transition Town process Vanessa. :cheer:

Well done. Another person walking her talk. :clap:

🙂

VanessaVanessa

Transition Gawler are having another information film night on 30 April 2013

This time showing Transition 2.0

I’ll try to attache the flyer, nope it doesn’t seem to be working for me.

Here are the details:

The Prince Albert Hotel, Murray St, Gawler

Film Starts at 7:15 followed by a discussion

Gold Coin Donation. Refreshments Provided

jaden62jaden62

Thanks for that Vanessa. I’ll try to get along to this one.

VanessaVanessa

Ok I’ll try this again, Nope doesnt seem to be working, is there something wrong with the add attachment thing?

jaden62jaden62

Vanessa, is there a URL for a site that it’s advertised on? If you’re not able to attach pics/flyers, it might be easier to use that. I wasn’t able to attach pics from my computer, so I put them into an online photo-storage site & was able to attach them from there.

BobbeeBobbee

There are a few problems that haven’t, apparently, been fixed/adjusted as yet jaden62.

There is a thread on it somewhere, but I can’t remember the title, sorry.

You could contact admin/mods and ask for help that way or ask in a new thread if you want.

🙂

VanessaVanessa
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.