Aussies Living Simply

Total Solar Eclipse – Cairns Nov 14th

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Total Solar Eclipse – Cairns Nov 14th

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    roadwarrior

On November 14th there will be a total solar eclipse that passes between Cairns and Port Douglas. I was involved heavily with safety preparations and supply of eclipse glasses for the Ceduna eclipse in 2002, and while I have less of an involvement with government health departments this year, I’m still helping with the distribution of eclipse shades throughout Qld and NSW.

I recommend that anyone interested in watching the eclipse grab themselves a pair of CE certified eclipse shades or eclipse viewers. They are a simple and safe way of protecting your eyes while watching the amazing spectacle of a solar eclipse. If the moderators will allow me to place a gratuitous plug on this website, orders can be placed on the Port Douglas Eclipse website.

There are plenty of other safe methods of viewing an eclipse too. For more info on safety and practical viewing options there’s Joe Cali’s website.

[/gratuitousplug]

BlueWren

Can you please explain to an ignorant what you mean by “passes between Cairns and Port Douglas” ? Won’t a much wider area be affected?

….or am I really ignorant and missing something………… :dry:

Silent

It won’t be visible everywhere. Total eclipse can be seen only in certain areas on the planet. There will be partial eclipse in other areas and the rest of the world won’t notice.

Basically, you need to be under the shadow to see the eclipse.

Better pics

BlueWren

Thanks Silent. :tup: I just thought the shadow would cover a bigger area.

Great pictures on that link. But the following comments made me so very grateful for the fair, generous folk who keep ALS so enjoyable as a forum.

Thanks everyone! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Later – just seen Silent’s second link added while I was posting! Oh my!!

crystal

Wow, you know, i believe ive seen a partial eclipse when i was younger… either in NQLD or SE SA… And did you know how lucky we are that a few years ago we saw a ‘BLUE’ Moon! You know that saying ‘Once in a Blue Moon!’ A true ‘blue’ moon happens only once in 77 years 😉

roadwarrior

BlueWren post=336915 wrote: Can you please explain to an ignorant what you mean by “passes between Cairns and Port Douglas” ? Won’t a much wider area be affected?

….or am I really ignorant and missing something………… :dry:

The area where a partial eclipse is visible is huge. It covers most of the eastern portion of Australia.

The total eclipse, where the moon completely covers the sun, in this case for a few minutes, is fairly narrow. If you are in either Port Douglas or Cairns you will see totality. Authorities expect around 40,000 people to flock to the area.

The centre of the shadow passes over Oak Beach just south of Port Douglas. I’ve been told there is still some accommodation available in Cairns, but if you are planning to see this eclipse you’ll have to book your accommodation soon otherwise you may miss out.

For everyone else, the sun will rise over the ocean already deep into the partial eclipse phase. It will be an amazing sight and easily visible being on the horizon, and that is were the danger lies. People will be tempted to stare and the partially eclipsed sun and may permanently damage their vision.

Eclipse blindness is not uncommon. There were five people who received eyesight damage during the Ceduna eclipse (they were in Adelaide), and there were over 150 cases for the 1976 eclipse.

It is easy to say “don’t watch it or you’ll go blind”, but people are curious creatures and the temptation leads to experimentation, which can lead to eyesight damage.

There are several extremely safe and simple ways of observing an eclipse. People just need the correct education to show them how.

Eclipse shades are arguably the easiest, safest and most satisfying ways of watching an eclipse. And unless you have more expensive equipment, they will be the only way to watch the transit of venus in June.

rw

crystal

wait… venus? whats this? What am i missing now? Remember to remind us all about the eclipse or we will forget to watch! I guess i better check out your glasses… They better look good, no need to look like a dork while watching an eclipse! ROTFL

roadwarrior

crystal post=337004 wrote: wait… venus? whats this? What am i missing now?

Crystal, have a look in the photo above of the harbour bridge climbers. That little black ball above the guy furthest to the right, that’s venus. When either mercury or venus pass in front of the sun it is called a transit. The last time a transit of venus occurred was in 2004, but the next one after this year won’t be until 2117.

If you miss this year’s transit on June 6th you’ll never see another one.

rw

roadwarrior

I need some help testing my website’s payment system. I’ve got an ad going in the Cairns Post tomorrow and I’m anticipating a lot of customers, but I haven’t had any sales yet and I’m not sure if the checkout system actually works other than with my own paypal address.

For anyone from ALS interested in watching the transit or eclipse, especially those in Qld who are considering getting eclipse glasses, I’m prepared to offer 5 glasses for the price of one. All you have to do is purchase one $5 pair of glasses from the Port Douglas Eclipse website tonight, Friday the 3rd of Feb 2012. When (if) the order comes through I’ll send you 5 pairs instead of the one you ordered.

Please note this offer is only valid for one of the $5 glasses, not the $10 premium glasses or the $5 viewers.

Please PM me if you do this as well, that way I won’t get confused if someone outside ALS buys a pair before the ad hits the newsstand in the morning.

Thanks.

rw

roadwarrior

Finally figured out how to get an eBay Store up and running.

You can visit Cairns Solar Eclipse Glasses <- by clicking here.

rw

roadwarrior

I’ve had quite a few people buying my eclipse glasses since starting my eBay store, but an interesting statistic is that at least 70% of the buyers are women. I’m assuming they are mums buying them to protect their family, as the women seem to buy in bulk lots, where’s the guys are just buying ones and twos. Most of the female buyers are also in Queensland.

If anyone lives in or around Cairns please keep an eye out for my ad in the Cairns Post which should be on page 7 in today’s edition (Sat 14th April). I’d like to know that the ad was printed successfully, and if the QR code links to my eBay page.

Thanks.

rw

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.