Aussies Living Simply

Top 3 Tips for Living More Simply

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Top 3 Tips for Living More Simply

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    pavbenth

In the spirit of starting a new conversation, I ask this: What are your top 3 tips for somebody wanting to live more simply? (No matter if this discussion has already been done. I am sure our perspectives change quite regularly.)

Mine:

1. Get out of debt.

2. Reduce liabilities.

3. Have a long hard think about what work means to you.

russ

1. Set goals and plan for the future

2. Create a network of like minded people and get involved with the community. Help eachother out

3. Work smart not hard.

ballamara
    Keymaster

believe whole heatedly in what you are doing.

Bel

Great topic pavbenth. My tips are somewhat simpler:

1. Start small

2. Start anywhere

3. Help someone else start

For me, living simply was something that evolved, not something I set out to achieve. Originally, I just wanted to grow a few veggies because I liked gardening, not because they were healthier/cheaper/better for me/better for the earth. From there, I wanted chickens – again, because I like chickens and also because they provide eggs and poo. From there, my dreams and ambitions grew and grew and a lot of inspiration was provided from this site when I came here looking for a solution to bugs in my strawberries. If I hadn’t started with a few veggies, I wouldn’t have been looking in the first place and would likely have no idea about ‘living simply’.

redhen2

I agree with Bel. For us it was accidental and gradual, with some periods of obsession.

1. start with things that are easy to measure and achievable – so focus on putting less in your rubbish bins.

2. look at what you’re buying and think about making those things yourself.

2. look at everything that comes into your house and assess if you can deal with it in your house – i.e. not outsourcing the resulting waste.

porgey

Clearly distinguish between needs and wants.

Get as much nature as you can everyday.

The best instant gratification is a good old chin wag (mindful that the best medication is laughter).

lavman

I agree, great topic pavbenth, I live in a remote community made up of just over 100 blocks mostly ranging from 25ac to 40ac, these blocks were subdivided from a large forested cattle property.

Since moving here 13 years ago, I have seen a lot of people come and go and it is very sad to see them come out to the bush with so much hope and determination to start a new life and end up walking away with their life being turned upside down.

During the fire season, I am constantly reminded of these people when we come across remnants of their shattered dreams and I sometimes wonder wether we could have done more to help, but everyone has their own journey and unfortunately they need to make their own mistakes and I find it’s no good offering advice to people if they are not ready to accept it.

However this is what worked for us and it may work for others;

# 1 Make a list of things you need to live a simpler and healthier life.

# 2 Keep a dairy and at the end of each day write in what you have done to (a) Progress (ie fenced in a garden area) (b) Maintenance (ie turned the compost)

# 3 Live your own life, don’t try to keep up with the Jones’, one day the Jones’ may envy you.

Tassie Tiger

Mmmmm……a challenging thought especially for someone who got involved in all this nearly 8 years ago. I think I might have lost my way a bit. I was certainly happier back then. Perhaps I need to have another look at where I am at could be helpful at the moment in helping me recover.

Steve
    Keymaster

My two cents worth:

[ol]

[li]Be happy with yourself and what you have achieved. Don’t think it isn’t enough, what you have already done is the basis for what is to come.[/li]

[li]Take time out to potter around. While you are pottering you are observing.[/li]

[li]Find a like minded group of genuine people to share your experiences with and to chill with.[/li]

[/ol]

I also agree with porgey, get out into nature whenever you can. And like Bel, my interest grew from gardening and gradually looking for better ways to do things.

Another three:

[ol]

[li]keep it simple[/li]

[li]keep an open mind[/li]

[li]enjoy.[/li]

[/ol]

downshifter

1. Start somewhere

2. Even a bit of work each day adds up

3. Before you spend ask “do I really need this?”

Eira Clapton
    Participant

Great ideas here. Thanks all.

Here are my three:

1. Put a sign on your letterbox saying you don’t want any advertising material delivered. We live in the suburbs and the impact of the ‘spend spend spend” advertising is HUGE. By not knowing what is on sale, we only go shopping when our lives make it clear we NEED something. This then leads to saving not spending, which leads to lives which can be less busy: my husband and I now work part time only.

2. Do what you can yourself.

It is different for everyone, but there is something very empowering and satisfying with becoming competent in something you used to rely on service people for. It could be baking bread or growing herbs or up-cycling furniture, but whatever it is -the accomplishment will lead to more self-reliance.

3. Expect less

This is a valuable counter-cultural skill -not to expect that I ‘deserve’ overseas travel, or luxury cars etc.

Bel

I’m really enjoying this thread – thanks for sharing guys 🙂

froot_loopz

after being by myself for the first time EVER, one child seeing if he wants to be a roof carpenter in perth and the other one in lurve.

My biggest tip is GET RID OF THE KIDS (no washing, no cooking, no getting dressed if you dont want to unless you have to go to work)

😆

Oh and plant a vegie garden

goodfood

It’s possible to live a simpler life, one where you enjoy each activity, where you are present in everything (or most things) you do, where you are content rather than rushing to finish things.

1. Decide what is important. Take a step back and think about what’s important to you. What do you really want to be doing, who do you want to spend your time with, what do you want to accomplish with your work?

2. Examine your commitments. A big part of the problem is that our lives are way too full. We can’t possibly do everything we have committed to doing, and we certainly can’t enjoy it if we’re trying to do everything.

3. Do less each day. Don’t fill your day up with things to do. You will end up rushing to do them all. If you normally try (and fail) to do 7-10 things, do 3 important ones instead (with 3 more smaller items to do if you get those three done).

fruitful

Step 1, go to your meter box and turn off everything except the fridge and oven/stove.

Step 2. turn off your water meter out the front.

Step 3. deal with it for as long as you can, you’ll be amazed at what you have to think about! When you can’t manage anymore turn everything back on and make some changes, keep doing this until you have the ability to do without water/electric/gas as much as possible.

:jawdrop:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.