Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

toowoomba's dams

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    trandtotrandto

calliecat wrote:

they are not interested in anything long term, they could be out by then and wont get the credit

it’s all about ego

but the voters MUST be happy, they keep voting them back in 🙂

ccBearccBear

They tryed in Qld last year but a group of Lawyers told them they would do a class action

Their reasons were simple the government and councils encouraged people to put tanks in with rebates so the responsibility rest with the government.

Otherwise they would argue that the rebates were offered as a prelude to a hidden tax(Storage tax). The Qld government and Brisbane council dropped the matter real quick.

Michael1973Michael1973

Our local council offered free micro-chipping of cats recently then announced that cats would have to be registered once they knew who had them from the microchip exercise. My theory is what they dont know doesnt hurt them. Way to much revenue grabbing going on by the Bligh government and the local councils have gotten wind that they can play the game as well.

sue esue e

we will never have our cats microchipped or registered. we keep them indoors day and night. i cannot see how registering them will make for responsible ownership. our cats run from window to window some nights while other peoples cats roam our yard yowling and fighting. we often find feathers form dismembered birds in our yard yet our cats are kept confined. when they decide to make it compulsory to keep cats contained then i will believe its due to environmental issues that they want them registered.

grumpy3grumpy3

Michael1973 wrote:

Our local council offered free micro-chipping of cats recently then announced that cats would have to be registered once they knew who had them from the microchip exercise. My theory is what they dont know doesnt hurt them. Way to much revenue grabbing going on by the Bligh government and the local councils have gotten wind that they can play the game as well.

I take from your pic that you like series 2A landy.

trandtotrandto

gleanert wrote:

Its crazy to think that not that long ago the govt was on a path of wilful destruction to build dams without regard for fragile eco-systems…and now Brisbane dams are over 100% and the water has to be released!!:rip:

Think of the millions and probably billions of dollars of waste washed down the rivers by bureaucratic short-sightedness.

Its a great example of the need to think long-term and not be driven my short term benefits..

The flow from the Dams will help heal the downriver ecosystems that have suffered from the drought.

Pumping water UPHILL is incredibly expensive (someone has to pay for it) and extremely damaging to the environment (massive power generation will be needed) and massive infrastructure needs to be built, damaging ecosystems. I am not defending or supporting, just making a point.

If environmental damage is a concern it’s time to face the facts. The only way to reduce the need for more water storage is to; reduce usage (the locals did that) and to use recycled water, that latter option didn’t appear to appeal to the majority of Toowoomba or Brisbane residents. Longer term the ONLY way is to mitigate the huge environmental damage from rampant population growth is by encouraging people not to have children or more Dams WILL have to be built and water WILL have to be pumped uphill or massive desal will have to occur, no option is environmentally friendly.

With massive population growth you will get massive environmental damage from ANY choice Government makes. People have to realise they can’t have it both ways. Exporting the problem overseas (eg building Dams in PNG) is incredibly unethical and I despair and despise that as a “solution”.

I do not envy State or Local Government though, people (voters) are incredibly hypocritical.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

Humans are good at breeding, annoying and destroying…

I rest my case 😆

trandtotrandto

Judi B wrote:

Humans are good at breeding, annoying and destroying…

I am in the middle, good at annoying.. 😀

but at least tat has way less impact on the Planet and therefore on other humans then the first or third 🙂 albeit I love to practice the first 😉

gleanertgleanert

trandto wrote:

gleanert wrote:

Its crazy to think that not that long ago the govt was on a path of wilful destruction to build dams without regard for fragile eco-systems…and now Brisbane dams are over 100% and the water has to be released!!:rip:

Think of the millions and probably billions of dollars of waste washed down the rivers by bureaucratic short-sightedness.

Its a great example of the need to think long-term and not be driven my short term benefits..

The flow from the Dams will help heal the downriver ecosystems that have suffered from the drought.

Pumping water UPHILL is incredibly expensive (someone has to pay for it) and extremely damaging to the environment (massive power generation will be needed) and massive infrastructure needs to be built, damaging ecosystems. I am not defending or supporting, just making a point.

If environmental damage is a concern it’s time to face the facts. The only way to reduce the need for more water storage is to; reduce usage (the locals did that) and to use recycled water, that latter option didn’t appear to appeal to the majority of Toowoomba or Brisbane residents. Longer term the ONLY way is to mitigate the huge environmental damage from rampant population growth is by encouraging people not to have children or more Dams WILL have to be built and water WILL have to be pumped uphill or massive desal will have to occur, no option is environmentally friendly.

With massive population growth you will get massive environmental damage from ANY choice Government makes. People have to realise they can’t have it both ways. Exporting the problem overseas (eg building Dams in PNG) is incredibly unethical and I despair and despise that as a “solution”.

I do not envy State or Local Government though, people (voters) are incredibly hypocritical.

Agree with most of what you say! and yes, its good to see the flow through the water ways.

Yes building dams uphill is stupid – look at the Sunshine coast hinterland – developers building unsustainable houses and then getting water to be pumped uphill to supply an area that gets about 2000mm per year rainfall.

I think they need to look at what infrastructure there is and where rainfall is etc etc and working with a multiple of approaches, not just building dams.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.