Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

toowoomba's dams

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    sue esue e

does anyone know if toowoomba’s dams are filling? i was wondering if it is possible to pump water from wivenhoe to them rather than releasing water from it. i thought thats what the water grid was about.just curious!

kathykathy

I heard on the news last night they had pumped 4000 megalitres to them so far ,seems like a small amount when they are releasing 32000 megalitres a day out of wivenhoe

gleanertgleanert

Its crazy to think that not that long ago the govt was on a path of wilful destruction to build dams without regard for fragile eco-systems…and now Brisbane dams are over 100% and the water has to be released!!:rip:

Think of the millions and probably billions of dollars of waste washed down the rivers by bureaucratic short-sightedness.

Its a great example of the need to think long-term and not be driven my short term benefits.

I haven’t heard whether there is water reaching toowoomba’s dams.

sue esue e

i guess it will flush the river out a bit!

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

they are not interested in anything long term, they could be out by then and wont get the credit

it’s all about ego

gleanertgleanert

14 dams in southeast queensland are more than 100% and have had water released!

And the rain keeps falling!

porgeyporgey

The rain is wonderful and it is so great that existing dams are filling or are full. Here in Victoria taxpayers money has been spent on building a north south pipeline and a desalination plant that is being constructed right now at huge cost. This expense is insane in mho especially in the light of the fact that frugality & better pricing, water restrictions & savings, domestic water tanks, and the catch up of natural rain cycles render this infrastructure unnecessary. Currently the N-S pipeline is not being used and regardless of its use or not the desal plant will have fixed costs amounting to $100 of millions every year. Bloody pollies! Thats my whinge for the month, cheers porgey.

sue esue e

they just got our desal plant working here as well porgy. it was started during the drought i think. the water grid, as it is referred to here, is supposedly the reason our water costs have skyrocketed. now some shires are even charging for the water you collect in your own tanks! i had a look at toowoomba’s dam stats and according to the information on there they are at 16% max. so you wonder why the water can’t be shifted up there.

Shangri LaShangri La

sue e, I saw on the news tonight that they are pumping from Wivenhoe to the Toowoomba dams.

now some shires are even charging for the water you collect in your own tanks!

Where did you hear about this? It sounds like a good old urban myth to me, not that I don’t think councils come up with some rather amazing levies! Which councils were referred to? I’d be quite interested as quite a bit of my research is linked to the activities of councils

sue esue e

on the north side. pine rivers shire i believe. good to know that the water grid is working as planned!

Shangri LaShangri La

sue e

I had a look at the Moreton Bay Regional Council’s website and I think whoever has told you that might be getting mixed up with the concept of having to have a building approval (in some cases) which of course will involve a fee but they can’t charge you for the water in your tank. Council have lost the control of water to Unity anyway. The building approval makes sure people don’t manage to inadvertently contaminate the town supply when they use tank water for flushing toilets etc. There’s no doubt the cost of water has gone through the roof as government just can’t afford to subsidise it anymore (i don’t work for council! or state government!)

I’ve just realised – it has stopped raining …. please be fine tomorrow…

sue esue e

Shangri La thanks for that info. i’m sure i read it in the courier mail and we all know what a reliable source of information it is.lol. it is scary to think that we are all paying so much for our water but it is a finite resource and the population generally does need to change its behaviour- the same applies to our energy use and painful as it can be the hip pocket is the best behaviour shaper. who knows what the weather will do in the future? this maybe our only decent rainfall for another 10 years. have jsut put a load of stinky towels on to wash so that will create another downpour for sure!

Shangri LaShangri La

sue e, i was listening to ABC radio this morning and someone was complaining that water wasn’t being pumped into Toowoomba dams and then the radio announcer explained that they had been told by SEQ water that they were pumping as fast as they could but the pipe was only so big. That makes sense but I couldn’t help imagining this little 2 inch pipe carrying the water lol – let’s hope not.

Then yesterday I read an article in our free paper that a man on the Coast who had cut of his town water years ago (has a bore) received a water bill from Unity…. he was still connected to sewerage of course so had to pay that but is seems Unity had just guessed a water usage component and I reckon that’s what might have prompted the article you read as there are lots of stories around of people getting water bills based on estimates of water use, not actual readings.

The big issue is that we had it free for too long and the government is playing catch up with the infrastructure. Whether the types of infrastructure being delivered (de sal etc) are ideal is another issue – they are still costing a fortune. Coast residents are being particularly parochial, complaining about having to pay for water infrastructure for residents outside the area (we have good rainfall and dam storage) but that kind of misses the point that we are all in this population growth problem together. It would be like people in the coal mining/ power station areas arguing that they should get cheaper energy because it’s in their backyard.

Having said that, i’m a believer in the mining resource tax on coal to return some profit to the broader community but would want to see it spent on renewable energy to offset the damage it is causing now and into the future.

hmm – that has nothing to do with Toowoomba’s dams, I need to go back to bed.

lynnielynnie

A friend in Victoria was telling me that the councils are charging water storage for those people who have water tanks that got the rebate, she said there is loads of people who have bought a tank but not got the rebate.

IMO i don’t think it will be too long before all states will be doing this….

sue esue e

which is why we would never claim the rebate(even though it is no longer in place but you get my drift) as it is just another way for council to keep tabs on what you do in your own back yard. we actually have to register guinea pigs now!i know that there must be rules and regs as some people will always overstep the mark but it is hard not to believe that a lot of this is revenue raising – which is also fine as we all use the various infrastructure that council/government provides- but i often get the feeling that there is a lot nest feathering and wastage as well.or am i just oversimplifying or just plain cynical?:lol:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.