Aussies Living Simply

Tony Abbott: Who is he?

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Tony Abbott: Who is he?

• This topic has 22 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Snags.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Snags

I just dont understand why we even have elections they should just get Rupert and Gina to pick who they want.

porgey

Who Is Harry Crumb? is a far more entertaining.

Bullseye

This is where the news papers put there support.

Daily Telegraph – Coalition

Sydney Morning Herald – Coalition

Australian Financial Review – Coalition

The Australian – Coalition

Adelaide Advertiser – Coalition

Hobart Mercury – Coalition

Herald Sun – Coalition

The Age – Labor

West Australian – Coalition

NT News – Coalition

Courier Mail – Coalition

Canberra Times – Coalition

Do you reckon we got balanced reporting of this election campaign?

GirlFriday

Anyone ever read George Orwell’s book ‘Animal Farm’? One pig will get in and one pig will get out. Meanwhile the horse starves to death.

Snags

Cutting $7 from single mothers and giving $75000 to rich mothers

Robyne

I couldn’t understand why the government cut single mothers money. You should see outside my granddaughters school all the pregant single mothers. They were cut off so they are pregnat. Yet the real single mums are trying to make a go of it.

My idea would of been to say you go back to school or you loose all of you’re pension when your child is 4.

If you get pregant again it is your problem.

I get nothing for my granddaughter as the mother is still claiming for her, Centerlink knows and yet she is profiting form it for her drug problem. And she has had 2 more children to an aborignee. I have to buy all of her clothes all from an opshop or I make them. My son works 38 hours aweek and has to pay her support as she lies through her teeth and they believe her over us.

If you want to see what GST is doing??? look at your shopping docket, vets bills, electrcity accounts, etc, it all adds up to a lot being taken off of us.

We pay in SA a Murray River fee it came in when they river was empty and was told it would go when the river filled up again but its still there. Emergency levi on all car regos. Victims of crime on other things. It all adds up to the point it is hard to make ends meet.

I like Clive Palmers ideas but again I would of added bringing back Trade schools, not every one will work in an office. I know it would send my youngest son mad he is hands on.

I would make prisioners work in the prisons to feed themselves and to earn a living.

I would make it harder for people coming in boats but then tell them if they have somethign to offer Australia don’t pay the crimals have an office in the camps to find out and screen them there, so they can come here properly.

I do not like Abbott or his party I don;t trust him Its that smile that makes my flesh crawl. They are all Howards boys none of them are new.

trandto

Robyne post=358178 wrote: If you want to see what GST is doing??? look at your shopping docket,

Last weeks grocery bill is in front of me and is $88.77 with $1.07 GST. (Two people) No GST on fresh food, milk etc etc and we eat very little meat. No GST at the farmers market for example.

Robyne post=358178 wrote: vets bills,

wait, what… I don’t have any pets, big costs savings to be had there I suspect ? We do have chickens but they give us eggs (and GST free custard with our GST free milk and home grown eggs) and meat when we kill them.

Robyne post=358178 wrote: electrcity accounts,

We live off the grid, so no electricity or water bills. I see this granny lives very frugally, no car, only using 1 light and a kettle, I am guessing her electricity bills are VERY low.

<a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/nov/13/ethicalliving-carbonfootprints%5Burl%5D

Robyne post=358178 wrote: etc, it all adds up to a lot being taken off of us.

Sure but where do you want it to come from so you can have more to spend ? The ideas you put forward so far would see you get a few cents back. You could save considerably more just getting rid of any pets, (humanely) let alone the environmental benefits.

Robyne post=358178 wrote: Emergency levi on all car regos.

Sold the car.

Robyne post=358178 wrote: I would make prisioners work in the prisons to feed themselves and to earn a living.

I see NT is doing that, in a salt mine, of all places, because the mine can’t get staff to work there

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-10/nt-prisoners-set-to-work-at-central-australia-salt-mine/4947880[url]

Robyne post=358178 wrote: I would make it harder for people coming in boats but then tell them if they have somethign to offer Australia don’t pay the crimals have an office in the camps to find out and screen them there, so they can come here properly.

When you say “harder”, what do you mean, shoot them ? because at the moment it’s pretty hard just to get here in a crappy old boat and then they put them in a tent in PNG of all places. They aren’t criminals as they are legally allowed to be here, they just have no visas. That aside, that’s not going to save much and you punish some of the most downtrodden people on the Planet. Often people we have gone out and crapped all over by shooting at eg Afghanistan, Iraq and Vietnam spring to mind as debacles. What is it, 80 – 90% of them are found to be genuine refugees.

You do know what the biggest expenses are for the Federal Government don’t you ? Welfare being the huge stand out of course eg pensions for oldies, payments to people with kids etc . Not against it per se, just stating that it’s a huge and growing bill and assuming the NDIS goes ahead, that’s another few billion that has to be found, Gonski is another few billion etc etc. Health expenditure is growing at an unsustainable rate according to a broadcast I was listing to by Dr Andrew Frazer some time ago (HPV vacc guy) etc etc Now you have an interest bill from the deficit that needs to be paid back, then you need to come up with $300Billion+ the capital back. Then lets not talk about how terrible our CAD is and the huge level of private debt.

Here’s an interesting link, you can put in your income and it shows you were your income tax is going and how much you pay.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/nov/13/ethicalliving-carbonfootprints&#8221; class=”bbcode_url”>http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-09/interactive-budget-2013-where-will-your-tax-go/4682404″>http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/nov/13/ethicalliving-carbonfootprints[url]

Robyne post=358178 wrote: etc, it all adds up to a lot being taken off of us.

Sure but where do you want it to come from so you can have more to spend ? The ideas you put forward so far would see you get a few cents back. You could save considerably more just getting rid of any pets, (humanely) let alone the environmental benefits.

Robyne post=358178 wrote: Emergency levi on all car regos.

Sold the car.

Robyne post=358178 wrote: I would make prisioners work in the prisons to feed themselves and to earn a living.

I see NT is doing that, in a salt mine, of all places, because the mine can’t get staff to work there

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-10/nt-prisoners-set-to-work-at-central-australia-salt-mine/4947880[url]

Robyne post=358178 wrote: I would make it harder for people coming in boats but then tell them if they have somethign to offer Australia don’t pay the crimals have an office in the camps to find out and screen them there, so they can come here properly.

When you say “harder”, what do you mean, shoot them ? because at the moment it’s pretty hard just to get here in a crappy old boat and then they put them in a tent in PNG of all places. They aren’t criminals as they are legally allowed to be here, they just have no visas. That aside, that’s not going to save much and you punish some of the most downtrodden people on the Planet. Often people we have gone out and crapped all over by shooting at eg Afghanistan, Iraq and Vietnam spring to mind as debacles. What is it, 80 – 90% of them are found to be genuine refugees.

You do know what the biggest expenses are for the Federal Government don’t you ? Welfare being the huge stand out of course eg pensions for oldies, payments to people with kids etc . Not against it per se, just stating that it’s a huge and growing bill and assuming the NDIS goes ahead, that’s another few billion that has to be found, Gonski is another few billion etc etc. Health expenditure is growing at an unsustainable rate according to a broadcast I was listing to by Dr Andrew Frazer some time ago (HPV vacc guy) etc etc Now you have an interest bill from the deficit that needs to be paid back, then you need to come up with $300Billion+ the capital back. Then lets not talk about how terrible our CAD is and the huge level of private debt.

Here’s an interesting link, you can put in your income and it shows you were your income tax is going and how much you pay.

[url]http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-09/interactive-budget-2013-where-will-your-tax-go/4682404

I have no solutions because but I suspect people don’t want solutions. I also suspect it will get much worse (slowly) for people and never get better than about now.

That aside, this was the first time I have ever voted informally (in the lower house), not one candidate represented an Australia I want to see.

Snags

Here is an interesting article challenging our mythology.

Something’s awry when the needy are dismissed as welfare spongers and the well-off crave handouts.

We’re not thinking, of course, of the 44 per cent of taxpayers who get more in benefits than they pay in.

Who dares suggest ”working families”, even if quite well off, are guilty of some sort of moral failing for accepting state handouts?

It seems the better off feel entitled to better treatment by government.

Their status as wealth generators is a passport to ”diplomatic immunity” from accusations of sponging off the state – however disproportionate to need their benefits and tax concessions may be.

Similarly, while age pensioners get the biggest slice of $132 billion in welfare spending (36 per cent of the budget), they are seen to have earned the right to be dependent on government – even those living in $1 million-plus homes.

Pensioners and their assets are untouchable, too.

The young, unemployed and single mothers are subject to a different standard.

They get lower benefits, often too low to keep them out of poverty, but are treated as a morally suspect underclass that lives off taxpayers who have worked hard for everything they have.

Single mums have already copped it.

The Gillard government shifted them from a single parent benefit to Newstart, which allows fewer hours of paid work before payments are cut. The government disregarded the impact on low-income families to save $728 million over four years

Families with children are the second-biggest recipients of welfare spending – about $34 billion a year. Most goes on family tax benefits A and B, but there are also childcare benefits and rebates, paid parental leave, schoolchildren’s and baby bonuses and carer allowances. The full list of family benefits is very long.

Many who receive family welfare are, on any reasonable definition, not needy.

Couples with two children in the middle 50 per cent range of incomes ($80,000 to $135,000) may qualify for most or all of the above benefits.

One partner can earn up to $150,000 and the second up to $25,623 and they can still get something from Family Tax Benefit B, which costs about $4.5 billion a year

you’d think the budget costs of ”middle-class welfare” would be a natural target for savings,

Super concessions work by taxing contributions and earnings at 15 per cent instead of a taxpayer’s marginal rate, so the benefit expands the more you earn.

Treasury calculates the top 5 per cent of earners get 37 per cent of the value of concessions.

The average male’s total super balance as they near retirement isn’t worth even half the top earners’ average tax concessions of $520,000.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/comment/who-are-the-real-bludgers-20130312-2fyf3.html#ixzz2edlEhWzR

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.