Aussies Living Simply

Tomato sauce, Dick Smith and Aldi.

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Tomato sauce, Dick Smith and Aldi.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    BlueWrenBlueWren

I will find out about the Aldi tom sauce source as I was going to mention it too in Porgey’s thread.I find Aldi extremely open about where their products come from and with respect Porgey, and I know this is NOT the point of your thread and request, but I think Aldi is not really as bad as sometimes portrayed, and Dick Smith’s foods not always that good either.Having said that we eat simply and well,and I only ever buy Aldi’s Australian made/grown products, as I do from anywhere if possible,and I find plenty of them at Aldi.What I save on made/grown products allows me to buy Aldi’s free range and organic Australian meat and poultry.I buy their Fair Trade ground coffee at a great price and it would satisfy any coffee snob.I know he hates Aldi with a vengeance, but why doesn’t Dick ask them to stock his foods? Bet he wouldn’t even think of doing that.Not much difference ethically between Woollies and Coles stocking his foods and Aldi surely? Why won’t Woollies stock them anyway?

I have asked about the Aldi Chinese veg.Some,ie the frozen broccoli, is labelled as Chinese so it never reaches my basket.The frozen peas are labelled Product of NZ,not Packed in NZ, which if from China it would have to say.I’ve checked that out too.I do nearly all my grocery shopping at Aldi and as an extra plus all their foods are artificial colouring and preservavtive free, and all the canned fish is sustainably caught with pole and line.They must be supplying an outlet for many smaller Aussie producers perhaps? And jobs for Aussies? They have less than 5% of the grocery chain marKet share so hardly a major threat.We have bought many tools and three computers from Aldi and they are excellent value, never had a moment’s trouble with any of them, and DH’s computer in particular has done many years of constant daily work, mainly photographic.

I am an absolute supporter of local growers and producers, Oz companies and products and decry what is happening to our companies,our workers, our centralised food supply, sale of our assets and land overseas etc etc.Porgey,I’ll try Dick’s sauce if I can find it…………but logically,if we whinge about imports what right do we have to export anything to other countries that could produce those products for themselves?I think we do that? Correct me if I am wrong.

Meanwhile,Aussie Aussie Aussie ……..and I’m off to brew some Fair Trade coffee! :laugh: :tup: :clap:

PS Edited to say I don’t for a moment want this to be a continued for/against Aldi thread.We all make our own informed choices about shopping and I respect that.I’m sure Aldi is not perfect but I do feel credit is due for what they do right,according to what we ALSers call “right” ,as is true for any company.

porgeyporgey

The thing about Aldi, Coles Safeway etc is a lot of the proceeds of there sales goes offshore which is totally unnecessary in mho. Australia could be self sufficient if we had the vim to do it but we are all letting our selves down in allowing the foreign takeover of our food supply, land and even laws. Its such a shame and sadly I have come to the conclusion that not enough people really care or could be bothered/have the time to do anything about it.

Money and short termism rules in so many facets of our lives now that concerning ourselves with distant future events/possibilities just falls off the radar. Most people on this site do give a toss about there country and I just hope there are enough committed Australians to keep hold of the farm. My Tomato Sauce Pledge thread is a simple way of at least trying to support Aussie food workers.

gartenfeegartenfee

whole hartedly agree with you BW. well said.

BlueWrenBlueWren

porgey post=334877 wrote: The thing about Aldi, Coles Safeway etc is a lot of the proceeds of there sales goes offshore which is totally unnecessary in mho. Australia could be self sufficient if we had the vim to do it but we are all letting our selves down in allowing the foreign takeover of our food supply, land and even laws. Its such a shame and sadly I have come to the conclusion that not enough people really care or could be bothered/have the time to do anything about it.

Money and short termism rules in so many facets of our lives now that concerning ourselves with distant future events/possibilities just falls off the radar. Most people on this site do give a toss about there country and I just hope there are enough committed Australians to keep hold of the farm. My Tomato Sauce Pledge thread is a simple way of at least trying to support Aussie food workers.

So do ALL Woollies profits stay in OZ , Porgey? Perhaps they do, and if so I didn’t know that.And if so, good on them!If they have a better price than Aldi for a similar Australian sourced/made product I’d be happy to buy it, if it tastes as good.Most people will want taste and quality ingredients along with price.I will pay more for Aus goods if the quality is there too.

But I’m with you all the way, Porgey.

What else can we ALSers do to help reduce the problem, apart from all the things we’ve talked about, buying local,Aussie etc?

Is there any kind of orgainised national movement committed to the protection of Oz products, workers and companies?

Hi,

I emailed Heinz tonight as I was so mad after the announcement on the news that Heinz have closed the tomato sauce making plant in Victoria and moved to New Zealand because it is cheaper to make there.

What will all of these companies do when no one in Australia has a job and cannot afford to pay for the products that these companies take off shore. Australia cannot rely on tourism and mining for our jobs. Not everyone is suited to work in the tourism industry of the mining industry.

I also emailed Julia Gillards office to protest the flood of imported foods into Australia, and to support our farmers and manufacturers but I suppose my voice won’t be heard as an individual. But I hope the Australia people yell long and hard at the next electiion and hopefully we will be heard.

Well I have had my 2 cents worth, maybe everyone should voice their disapproval to Heinz and the Government and maybe we may be able to save what is left of Australian ownership of our country.

Lets look after our own country and people before we look after other countries and their people. There are many Australians that need help also but seem to be the forgotten as successive governments try to support other nations when it is this nation and our people they should be supporting.

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

Here is a link to the only oz shopping site with their list of other Aussie owned and manufactured tomato sauces:

http://www.onlyoz.com.au/index.php?page=shop.browse&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=83

BlueWrenBlueWren

mistyhollows post=334968 wrote: Here is a link to the only oz shopping site with their list of other Aussie owned and manufactured tomato sauces:

http://www.onlyoz.com.au/index.php?page=shop.browse&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=83

Good link mh but I couldn’t find any tomato sauces. ???????? Did I miss them somehow?

GiannaGianna

You took the words right out of my mouth BW. Started to write much the same last night but then decided that I couldn’t be bothered. 😉 Let’s all remember that Aldi brought prices down and that they employ Australians. :tup:

PS: Dick Smith peanut butter (last time I checked) was made with imported peanuts.

marigoldmarigold

Blue Wren said

Good link mh but I couldn’t find any tomato sauces. ???????? Did I miss them somehow?

Yes you did BW. Go to ‘Select’ and look at “pop’s tomato sauce

” :tup:

Personally, I find this site overly expensive – then add shipping, and Oh Boy! :dry:

Can be useful to identify brands though.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Thanks marigold.Found it.

Today I discovered that I broke my own Aldi shopping rule bigtime!! I usually never buy ice cream from anywhere, preferring frozen yoghurt, but thought some in the freezer over Christmas would be a good idea.Today I washed out the empty container and with this thread in mind just checked where it was made………GERMANY!! :jawdrop: Now that is ridiculous, importing ice cream from half way across the world…….just keeeping it all frozen must use an incredible amount of energy,assuming it is imported ready made.

In trepidation I checked where the Aldi frozen yoghurt is made…….Thankfully in Australia! :tup: :clap: No mention of ..”from imported products” so hopefully it’s the real deal.

If Dick Smith makes peanut butter from imported peanuts I will not buy it on principle because of his Aussie only mantra, but I do admit that I buy American peanut butter from Aldi, the one exception I do make because it is soooooooooo much nicer than other brands, and that from a lass who lives in Kingaroy is almost sacrilege!

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

marigold post=335027 wrote: Blue Wren said

Yes you did BW. Go to ‘Select’ and look at “pop’s tomato sauce

” :tup:

Personally, I find this site overly expensive – then add shipping, and Oh Boy! :dry:

Can be useful to identify brands though.

I had a bit of a :jawdrop: at the prices too. Will use it for brands to buy elsewhere though I think.

julientuaregjulientuareg

I think it is important for our future food security to maintain the ability to produce our own products. If we no longer have the manufacturing capability what happens when the price of oil means we can no longer bring items long distances?

In regards to peanut butter, I make my own its basically just peanuts and a bit of oil. Tastes much better than store bought.

Julie

ImarniImarni

Pretty annoyed with Aldi right now always going about healthy for kids no colours and additives! We were halfway through eating a product when I noticed it hag 621 (msg) in it which all my family react too, should have checked I know stupidly I figured they would not have those products!! :shrug:

BlueWrenBlueWren

Good point.I will keep an eye out for that in future.

Better go check the Aldi tom sauce I bought yesterday.It does say Made in Australia and no mention of imported ingredients so hopefully it’s fair dinkum.

No MSG in the sauce but what’s an Acidity Regulator? 260 I think it is.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Imarni post=335319 wrote: Pretty annoyed with Aldi right now always going about healthy for kids no colours and additives! We were halfway through eating a product when I noticed it hag 621 (msg) in it which all my family react too, should have checked I know stupidly I figured they would not have those products!! :shrug:

You could ask your manager to inform Aldi Head Office about your concern with the 621.There’s a form to fill out that you and the manger sign.No harm in letting them know – to their benefit if it can be removed.What does msg do for a food anyway?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.