Aussies Living Simply

tomato paste concentrate

Home Forums HOMEMADE Home Preserving, Food Storage and Stockpiling tomato paste concentrate

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    MargoMargo

I’m SO JEALOUS of all those tomatoes!! Will PM if I can to organise a time

on the tomato paste side of things – I’m assuming you leave the lid off hte crok pot to let the excess water evaporate?

re chooks and porrigde – D’OH! I didn’t think of that!!

Topend TamTopend Tam

True, Creeker :D. Lol!

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

leave the lid off hte crok pot to let the excess water evaporate?

Yes, that’s right. But it’s a bit like Rotorua, splutters everywhere, so a splatter guard is a good idea.

MargoMargo

I got impatient after 5 hours, and put it in the dehydrator.

I now have tomato concentrate ‘leather’:tup:

dustygrl70dustygrl70

Has anyone canned or bottled tomato concentrate, or can anyone advise me about the safety of this?

Usually I freeze tomato concentrate in icecube trays, but this summer I wanted to pressure can it – but am wondering about the safety of this. I’ve read that modern tomatoes are borderline for acidity so you can add citric acid to the bottles before canning, but still wasn’t sure if it was safe because the concentrate will be so thick – have also read that very dense foods can stop the safe temperatures being reached in canning?

And if anyone in the Toowoomba area would like a few heirloom tomato seedlings let me know, we have a little overflow of them!

df418df418

Dusty, we bottle tomatoes (sauce, paste, whole) providing the PH is below 4.2 it is safe to BWB (we aim for 3.9).

I would not keep them for 12 months, ours are lucky to last us until winter is over (6-8 month)

dustygrl70dustygrl70

Thanks df:) That sounds great.

GirlFridayGirlFriday

Lady B can i ask for a recipe for the mulled wine please???:D

I havent thought of doing tomato paste in the bottles. I do pasta sauce which is so easy. I do put a teaspoon of citric acid in each jar when i bottle them up (because thats what the recipe says).

how long would you be able to keep them assuming they were bottled properly etc? We would probably use a large jar every month or two.

df418 how do you test the ph? would litmus paper work?

df418df418

GF. What does “bottled properly” mean?

If you mean Glass jars & Boiling Water Bath for 40 minutes (I think without looking at our book). Would easily last 12 months possibly 2 years. use common sense, if its mouldy throw it. Chances are you are going to cook the sauce (bring to boil for 10 minutes) so any nasties are toast anyway.

We use an electronic PH meter (cost about $20.00 from DSE)

GirlFridayGirlFriday

thats what i meant;) I meant sealed/ boiled etc. i am going to check out the Ph meter- sounds like a good purchase.:tup:

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Mulled Wine

WARNING: I have been known to get rather “merry” on this. You have been warned!

4 thin orange slices

8 thin lemon slices

8 cloves

3 cinnamon sticks

pinch nutmeg

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup water

1 bottle (750 ml) red wine

1/2 cup brandy

Put orange and lemon slices, cloves, cinnamon sticks, nutmet, sugar and water into saucepan, bring to a simmer, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Add wine and heat almost to simmer, but don’t boil. Stir in brandy. Strain into heated mugs and serve hot.

This is the most wonderfully warming drink when you’ve just come in from a freezing cold day. Warming, and very, very addictive!

(hic)

GirlFridayGirlFriday

ooh THANK YOU!:hug:

DocDoc

:rol:

Must try that one, Lady B.

Great way to get rid of, erm, leftover orange and lemon slices. 😉

Always wanted a recipe to use them up.

hiccingly yours

Doc 😉

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Great way to get rid of, erm, leftover orange and lemon slices.

Yes, sure beats marmalade!

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.