Aussies Living Simply

tomato paste concentrate

Home Forums HOMEMADE Home Preserving, Food Storage and Stockpiling tomato paste concentrate

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    suziwong66suziwong66

Hi all,

i’d like to make my own tomato paste concentrate and pressure can the result in bottles.

Has anyone got a suitable recipe?

thanks for any hints, tips, recipes etc

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

The one I just made was 5kgs tomatoes, chopped. Cook them till soft, puree then push through sieve to get seeds out. I was supposed to add some salt, but forgot.

For the slow cooking part (after puree), to thicken it, I do it in the crock pot. Less chance of it burning.

suziwong66suziwong66

How long did you have to cook it to thicken it LadyB?

how many bottled did you end up getting?

taa for your info

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

The initial cooking I guess was an hour or so (just till they’re quite soft – I didn’t really time it), the second slow cooking in the crock pot was probably about 5 hours – again I didn’t really time it, just cooked it till it was thick enough. I ended up with 9 smallish jars, I guess about 220 gram size.

suziwong66suziwong66

i hadn’t thought of using the croc pot…will have to drag it out of the cupboard and give it a go.

thanks for your info on methods

SpriteSprite

I read somewhere recently that a good paste can be made by dehydrating the tomatoes first, then blend them up and bottle it through the usual preservation methods.

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Sprite, yes, that method I think is in my dehydrator user manual. Haven’t tried it though. My dehydrator gets used to make dried tomatoes in oil. Another yum thing to do with lots of tomatoes.

Sue, a crock pot is your friend – we use ours a lot and not just for making tomato paste.

suziwong66suziwong66

i REALLY like the dehydrator method….good excuse to buy one 😆

MelissaMelissa

lady b i wouldnt mind a list of other things you do with your slowcooker (crock)

MargoMargo

I’m not ladyb, but I am a slow cooker fan! I do as much as possible in mine – in winter it’s out almost every day.

I make pasta sauce (bolognaise or vege), casseroles, pumpkin soup, vege soup, curries…. definately want to try the tomato paste idea, but not enough tomatoes to make it worthwhile.

I’m, a big fan of the “stand back and throw” method of cooking and the crok-pot suits that perfectly :tup::lol::lol::lol:

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Margo, I’ve never heard that method described before, but it’s exactly what I do!

Melissa, I do all the sorts of things Margo described as well as pot roasts, corned beef, porridge. It’s also useful for mulled wine – great in winter, particularly after skiing. 😆

MargoMargo

the “stand back and throw” method has been handed down through several generations in our house :lol::lol::lol: Of course the downside is when oyu make something that tastes fab you can’t reproduce it because no recipe was involved :p

oooooooooooooh porridge – now THERE’s a good idea!

do you do that overnight lady b? would that method be OK just for porridge for 2? I think our crokpot might be a bit big for that :tdown:

I managed to scrounge 2kg of assorted tomatoes so I’ve got the tomato paste part 1 on the go now :tup:

Topend TamTopend Tam

My mum used to do porridge in the crockpot when I was kid. As the official washerupper I was never happy about the horrid crusty rim around the sides, so when I got my own crockpot I decided to cook porridge in a pyrex bowl sitting in an inch or so of water inside the crockpot. No more crusties :).

creekercreeker

Curries and boston [baked] beans

Tammie, dogs and bull ants are good for crusties, saves water too 😀

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

something that tastes fab you can’t reproduce it

Happens here all the time! Bob will now say to me “PLEASE tell me you’ve got a recipe for this!”

I do the porridge overnight, probably a bit much for the two of us, but the chooks like warm porridge too. Tammie’s method of the pyrex bowl is a great idea as you could actually make a bit less.

Margo, (or anyone else for that matter) if you want more tomatoes, come over and pick some from our patch, PLEASE! They’re all Roma, but there’s way too many for us. Bob’s picked about 10 kgs this morning and there’s probably another 20 kgs ready with oodles of green ones still to ripen.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.