Aussies Living Simply

Timber benchtops

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    LeecyLeecy

Yeah I don’t want polyurethane finish – the idea of any chips getting into food somehow doesn’t sit well with me. Thanks for telling me it chips too Kirsty – just won the argument with DH’s little brother 😆

I’m thinking of opting for the oil/wax finish – just so it would be more water repellent around the wet areas. I prefer the non-high-gloss finish too :D:tup:

Bubba LouieBubba Louie

This was our first home. We had the kitchen put in about 1985. The benchtops are laminated Brush Box ( not to be confused with laminex) finished with 2 pack estapol.

Scroll through the photos and you’ll find it.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&id=105107496&f=0&p=10&t=res&ty=&fmt=&header=&cc=&c=55610174&s=qld&snf=rbs&tm=1218446949

It’s back on the market now and we went to the opening on Saturday. It’s got some minor damage but nothing terrible. MrBL said if he had his time over he’d go with oil.

A friend made his own laminated benches useing narrow floor boards and it turned out well.

mamacazmamacaz

I LOVE the idea of timber bench tops and turn green every time I go to my friend’s house with her magnificent redgum kitchen (her DH is a cabinet maker so her’s is like the display kitchen).

I have a wooden chopping board and I recall that the oiling instructions suggested to use *some other oil that I have forgotten the name of* (glad to be so helpful;)) rather than vege oils as they can go rancid.

What about this crowd? http://www.designerpaintco.com

Or this lot? http://www.house-paint.com.au

Not sure if they have any suitable products but they might be able to advise you.

roundthebendroundthebend

This is my daughters kitchen, the bench tops are made of recycled rain tree and finished with tung oil and look as good today as when they were built.

LeecyLeecy

Cant see anything RTB :geek:

espinay2espinay2

We considered wooden benchtops for the new house, but I like to do a lot of things right on the benchtop when I am cooking and didn’t want to be worrying about damaging it – we went for stone as an alternative.

roundthebendroundthebend

Hopefully this works:confused:

redhen2redhen2

that is beautiful.

kirsty, i love your splashbacks.

kiwimamakiwimama

We have one wooden-topped corner unit – we prepped it with tung oil.

🙂

MichPMichP

We have jarrah bench tops that are sealed (polyurethane or whatever). Wood looks good but not having them sealed I think would be better, as Kirsty said they get scratched and chipped which can make them look a bit ratty over time.

These are ours (excuse the crap on the bench)

In the 12 years I have been making kitchens I have talked numerous customers out of timber bench tops, simply because they don’t age well. Our kitchens units are timber and I used to always say “there is plenty of timber in a timber kitchen without needing to have a timber top”. If you want stone spend the money on proper stone (the fitting mess is worth it) and not the 5mm epoxied chips that some “transformers” hawk at home shows

toosusietoosusie

I love timber bench tops. Maybe because I think any damage they may incur over time gives them Character and a story to tell :shrug: Having said that, I’d also add, they can be resanded and reoiled if something too yucky happens. I adore the river red gum timber too. Guess it depends a lot on your kitchen habits and how easy you want life to be but I’d agree about a seperate chopping board, oil as opposed to polyurethane & hygiene.:tup:

jennifer gjennifer g

Kirsty, I was wondering what to use for the kitchen splash backs, you’ve just inspired me! that looks great!

Jen.

MumchookMumchook

I really like the look of timber benchtops and that’s what we’re aiming for too – heavy duty recycled hardwood which hubby is installing himself. We do have some suitable timber here but not enough of it, so he’s gradually looking for more.

I have used timber before and been very happy with it. Like others have suggested, oil it and have separate chopping boards.

If you already have the recycled timber, then go for it. Sounds absolutely wonderful.

:tup: :clap:

Ree

creekercreeker

We’ve got a wooden benchtop – pine + polyurethane. Love the wood, the odd character mark adds to the rustic charm, but do not like the coating at all. It is peeling in places, like old sticky tape, and has not been very well sealed around the taps.

It is on the Project List to strip it back and redo with tung oil. I’d also like to inset some tiles or marble slab on the bench next to the oven so I can put hot dishes on it without damaging the wood.

I always use a chopping board, or a sheet of newspaper to collect veg scraps which then go to chooks or in the compost.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.