Aussies Living Simply

Timber benchtops

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    LeecyLeecy

Wondering if anyone on ALS has timber benchtops, and how you find using/caring for them and how they are finished. Seems there are two options. Polyurethane :rip: or wood oil. DH is attempting to make some at the moment from some recycled hardwood.

Wasn’t my first or second choice for bench tops but he recently got access to a heap of nice timber and wants to try it out and it’s allot cheaper than granite and stainless steel.

DocDoc

I made some for our kitchen and finished them with vegetable oil.

Does not contaminate the food when it makes contact with the bench :geek:

Oilingly yours

Doc 😉

Edited coz ‘them’ don’t have 3 m’s in it 😐

LeecyLeecy

U got pics Doc? I think i’ll be going with some kind of oil or oil/wax mixture. Greener the better :tup:

redhen2redhen2

we’re going to be replacing bench tops soon and i’ve been thinking about recycled timber.

what type of timber are you using ellice?

and, timber is porous of course. do you worry about germs (eg raw chicken :rip:) getting in or does the wood retain some antiseptic qualities and take care of it by itself?

kathy

sunflowersunflower

i read somewhere that mayonnaise is good for protecting outdoor timber – haven’t tried it yet myself but plan to when the weather gets a bit warmer

WozWoz

>timber is porous ~ germs ~ or does the wood retain some antiseptic qualities

Bingo! Wood has natural tannins that are antiseptic and hence provide a cleaner workspace than some other materials. For example, plastic is not recommended for chopping boards as it could become scuffed and trap food particles that could then become toxic. Not so with wood for the above-mentioned reasons.

As for finishes, I would have thought natural oils to be preferable. Which ones though I do not know.

Woz

DocDoc

Although I use the top for general chopping, I would never advocate chicken in direct contact with the top.

The natural tannins (see previous post) only work to a certain extent and raw chicken can be quite nasty, sickness wise.

I tend to use a seperate wooden chopping board for chicken and meat (and onions) and then they can be cleaned and UVed for a while before being re-oiled.

Choppingly yours

Doc 😉

Edited coz chopping has 2 ‘p’s and 1 ‘o’ in it, then re-edited coz some of the words fell off the screen…been a long few days 😐

WozWoz

Hmmm, grammar gets a bit out of kilter there but Doc is correct. A separate chopping board for meats, and perhaps one specifically for Chicken, rather than using the bench top willynilly is definitely a good idea.

Woz

LeecyLeecy

redhen2 wrote:

we’re going to be replacing bench tops soon and i’ve been thinking about recycled timber.

what type of timber are you using ellice?

and, timber is porous of course. do you worry about germs (eg raw chicken :rip:) getting in or does the wood retain some antiseptic qualities and take care of it by itself?

kathy

It is a mixture of hardwoods that DH has scabbed. It’s mostly river red gum and yellow box apparently. Should create some nice contrasting colours against the stainless splashbacks.

With the hygeine issue I prefer timber cutting boards over any other, and yes it does have anti-septic qualities. That being said, it’s not going to clean itself so you need to wipe anything up straight away and with by board (too big for me to carry over to the sink) – I give it a scrape with one of my knives to get any gunk off, a bit of a scour and re oil it now and again. About every 6 months or so I cover it with salt in the hope it will draw any nasties out before re-oiling it. Not sure if this is necessary or good but I’ve had it for yeeeeeeeeeeeeears and its still like new.

Mythbusters tested chopping boards a while ago and timber when cleaned properly was the most hygenic, mostly because bacteria didn’t spread like it does on plastic.

I’m just not sure how it will go as a whole benchtop – hoping for some experienced answerers 😀

DocDoc

Oops, sorry Woz left some of the words on the keyboard :geek:

I will correct that now

Doc 😉

WozWoz

>left some of the words on the keyboard

>I will correct that now

Nah! They probably wanted to be there anyway. Leave them, I’m sure they’re happy. 😉

Woz

redhen2redhen2

i don’t think that i would chop on a wooden benchtop just because it would get damaged and look manky.

i like the idea of a freestanding butchers block arrangement. phoar. that would be lovely.

thanks. sorry to hijack ellice. 🙂

KirstyKirsty

:confused:I have wooden benches with stainless pressed steel splash backs. I had them made at a joinery and installed them and stained and sealed then myself:clap: Here is a pic…ignore the big teapot thingo. Next time I would only oil them, not use a polywhatsit sealer

KirstyKirsty

I meant to add that the oil wouldnt chip as the sealed finish does…did that make sense? Sometimes I’m not as gentle as perhaps I should be and dropped ceramic bowls or what not have chipped the finish where as an oiled finish would just bruise/dint…..I think:shrug:

sunflowersunflower

ooh kirsty that is soooo beautiful

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.