Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Tick prevention/bite remedies anyone?

Home Forums HOMEMADE Natural Remedies and Health Support Tick prevention/bite remedies anyone?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    tipsypixietipsypixie

Hi all

After living tick free for the past 12 years we have now moved to what appears to be tick central. I’ve got the dogs, horses, cats and even chooks covered but what the hell do I do for us people.

I pulled one out of the hubsters head a week ago. I’ve got at least 5 nasty sores from the damned things at the moment and the child has complained to me this evening that she also has a couple.

We’re picking them up when we’re working in the garden, mowing and mulching and so on. I grew up in Grafton which was a nasty place for paralysis ticks when I was a kid but have never had the problem with them attaching themselves to humans as often as is happening here.

So, any ideas on prevention for people? Also, any good tried and true remedies for lessening the pain and crustiness of the bites once we’ve got them would be greatly appreciated. We’re currently alternating between tea tree oil, dettol/savlon creams, lavender oil and antihistamines. Nothing is bring relief.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers

C.

chesterchester

Hi TP, we nearly lost our springer to 2 p/ticks, only about 20% chance he would make it, but with excelent care (5 days)from our vet, he just pulled through. not risking the dog again for a fun weekend again. I got provent a tick collars (produce store) and frontline before he got sick. Then 2 weeks after that a tick got me but not p/tick., the knob stayed for a while though. Up river they burn the grass to kill the ticks but suppose ya can’t do that there.

Maybe you need to spray with …. will get the name for you from the vet …. kills them without removing them first, within mins. I would spray myself, as long as it works.:)

tipsypixietipsypixie

Hi Chester

We lost a cat to paralysis tick when we lived down the road at Coolongolook but since leaving there haven’t seen any. We also spent several fortunes saving a few and no matter how vigilant we were and how much frontline etc we used the buggers used to occasionally get one. When I was a kid I (sadly) knew of several people that lost horses to the damned things.

I’d happily spray myself with Malawash if the stuff didn’t make me feel ill with the slightest skin contact. I’d also bathe or dust myself daily in sulphur if the cost wasn’t so prohibitive. Maybe a drop or two of frontline or similar could be the solution. I’ve heard of people successfully treating their kids with it for head lice infestation – not an option I would condone or recommend, but hey, desperate times sometimes call for desperate measures.

Looking forward to the name of the stuff you’re thinking of.

Cheers

C.

HobbyFarmFunHobbyFarmFun

Malawash? Can you still get Malawash? I’ve been searching everywhere for it – can’t seem to find it anywhere anymore. Seems to have disappeared. I know it’s probably full of nasties, but if it is a choice between nasties and having the dog be tick free, well….

tipsypixietipsypixie

Hi HobbyFarmFun – it’s called “Inca Malaban Wash Concentrate” these days. You can buy it at some pharmacies and most produce stores here in NSW. It may be illegal to sell it in Qld though. We’ve found several products that are in common use and over the counter products in some states are banned or prescription only in others.

Oh, it sells for around $15 for 250ml.

Cheers

C.

HobbyFarmFunHobbyFarmFun

Oh okay thanks TP – I didn’t realise it was the same stuff. I have seen Malaban at the produce – but upon reading the label it didn’t make the same claim as Malawash which said it would prevent the attachment of paralysis tick for up to 3 days – we found Malawash worked for at least a fortnight in the height of tick season. I used to get Malawash at the supermarket, but it disappeared about 18 months ago. I’ll try the Malaban then and see if it works for us. Thanks again!

tipsypixietipsypixie

No worries. Have a great day.

Cheers

C.

daviesgangdaviesgang

I got Malawash at Woolworths a couple of days ago. It was in the petfood aisle. I didn’t want to get it and i have tried everything else including Frontline and Advantage etc but they haven’t worked. So I currently have 3 cats and a dog with fleas and now the house is jumping as well 🙁 . Any ideas on how I should use this stuff? I have never used it before as it is the first time in 14 years that I have had fleas on my animals.

HobbyFarmFunHobbyFarmFun

Hi daviesgang –

When we used malawash, we started off by washing the dog in normal shampoo then rinsed thoroughly, then made up a bucket of malawash as per the label directions (so many ml malawash/L of water) and just sponged it over the dog’s coat all over (except for head) – no rinsing.

It stinks :rip:, but it sure does the trick.

daviesgangdaviesgang

Ah ok well we washed the dog in Tea Tree Shampoo today and we are going to wash him in it each day for a week and see if it helps. If not then the Malawash will be used. it just makes me nervous as after googling Malawash we found so many things saying it was dangerous for animals:confused:.

happyvalleyhappyvalley

I made an antiseptic cream which is great for tinea. Ive used it on all the animals cuts/sores. I put some around a paralyis tick yesterday on the dogs ear. It reacted, didnt like the cream and I pulled it out suckers still intact. Rubbed the cream into bite and it hasnt got infected. One last week I just pulled out a tick on the same ear and put cream on after and that is still swollen. There is Tea Tree and Lavender Essential oils in the antiseptic cream.

Not sure if this helps repel ticks, but its good for fleas.

I use a castile liquid soap. Much more gentle on dogs skin and very few bad chemicals.

Daviesgang,

You could probably try this with any shampoo to start.

To around100mls add a capful of good oil ie.Olive etc. This helps to stop skin drying out, and gives the dogs coat a nice feel.

I then add essential oils, up to 5mls, (20 drops equals 1ml) mixture of: Lavender, tea tree, pennyroyal. these are the basics.

Pennyroyal is great for fleas. Dilute and spray around dogs bedding/napping areas.

Mixing the oils together is not as pungent or as overpowering as just one. Shake bottle and work the shampoo into a lather for a couple of minutes. Gives the fleas time to die… The fleas seem to suffocate with the combination of oil/essential oils.

It wont kill 100% of all fleas, but 90+% I reckon. Good luck.

Bathed my girl this afternoon and she is clean, soft and smelly. Cats turn next……:lol:

daviesgangdaviesgang

Thanks for that happyvalleyherbals. I am going shopping tomorrow so I will pick up the essential oils. Any suggestions for a shampoo to put it in? I would also love the recipe for the antiseptic cream you made if you are happy to share it. Please. Thanks for the advice. :tup:

happyvalleyhappyvalley

I use the liquid castile soaps.

Melrose make some and its cheaper to buy them in the bulk health food shops. I think Mrs Flannerys have them. Take a container to put them in, or you can buy one from them.

If you want to make your own products.

You can order all of the products from my supplier, here Im giving away trade secrets:lol:, http://www.escentialsofaustralia.com

There are recipes on there too which are good.

Re: my recipes, Ive been working on these for a few years and am selling them so cant share exact ingredients. Getting the australian website organised at the moment. You can check the ingredients I use on http://www.happyvalleyherbals.com

But the recipes to make your own base creams which I did the course and loved it, go to http://www.pindariherbfarm.com and you can find directions on how to make ointments/creams/tinctures. Ken also does courses, he is in Tassie.

Good luck Deb

daviesgangdaviesgang

Thanks so much for those links. I wont tell a soul any of your trades secrets….I will keep them between you and me….and anyone else reading this thread…:lol:

GgangGgang

You are crazy to use Malawash 🙁 th side effects include uncurable muclewasting – I know I have it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.