Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Thrilling blueberry help needed!

Home Forums HOMEMADE In the Garden Thrilling blueberry help needed!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    HumanFriendHumanFriend

I picked up a chuck-out Brightwell blueberry from Bunnings (six bucks reduced from 18!!) that only has a few sunburnt leaves. Anyway, I want to grow it in one of those old, black plastic compost bins (looks like a TARDIS) that is pretty empty but has been sitting in situ for years. So, my question is: has anyone here had great success with blueberries? And, what should I fill the bin up with? It’s quite high/deep.

HumanFriendHumanFriend

P.S. the top of the compost bin is open and, after it is filled up, that is where it will go – just like a very high potted plant.

LioraLiora
    Participant

Sounds like a great idea. No advice though, blueberries haven’t made it to my successful gardening list yet. But I must try again. I hope it goes well for you.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

I have one, and was told to put it acidic potting mix
    I hope to get another one in spring – only have the one so far

SnagsSnags

I had one in a pot for a few years produced lots of fruit,but died when i went away for 6 months and no rain or water.I will get another it was nice picking a few blueberries to put on my bowl of cereal in the morning.

AUSSIEDOWNUNDERAUSSIEDOWNUNDER
    Participant

Great snags will try one in the new air pruning wicking pots

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

I had 3 in straw bales they produced fruit but they really struggled,  so transferred them to large pots where they are doing well. One is in flower again.

HumanFriendHumanFriend

Yes, I want to get a bale of hay to insulate inside against the plastic so the roots don’t cook, but also some bags of potting mix which I will mix with stuff.. What kind of manure do you reckon?

SnagsSnags

I had just potting mix and lots of cocopeat mulched with pine needles.
     they like acid soils

MuklukMukluk
    Participant

Aussiedownunder I would like to hear more about your air pruning wicking pots.  Did you make them yourself?  How do they work?

Participant

They work like those grow bags that the nurseries  use , when the plant sends roots to look for water around the outside is dry  so it sends small roots down

Mine are 1/2 blue barrels with holes around the outside and lined with weed mat

As I make them I will post on what did you do today

Participant

Goggled pine needles to make soil acidic aparentley they are only acidic when they are green

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.