Aussies Living Simply

This incessant heat

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up This incessant heat

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    MuklukMukluk
    Participant

Yesterday the temperature outside was over 43 and the temperature inside the house was over 33. I felt very ill so did not do much, I spent most of the day vomiting and resting. At 10:00 at night it was still an unpleasant 33 outside.

In the evening I went to put the poultry away and found many had died from the heat! They free range through the orchard so have plenty of shade, they also have a lot of different water sources. One hen was dead in deep shade under a thick shrub within 3 meters of 2 different water containers. I don’t know what to do. We can’t afford to get by without the chooks and ducks. I feel terrible, I try to check on them throughout the day but was not up to it yesterday, I don’t know what to do when I go back to work.

The vegetable garden is in ruins after looking ok yesterday morning. I watered it heavily in the morning in anticipation of another hot day and yesterday afternoon the beans were mostly dead, the corn is alive but leaves are badly burned, the potatoes are on the way out, the list goes on. I need to build shade structures over the vegetable gardens but until then I am at a loss as to what to do.

Some of our well established fruit trees and olive trees have died this year because it is too dry even though I have tried to water them. Many of the surviving trees are not going to provide any fruit.

It looks like we are going to have a very lean year this year.

At least we don’t have bush fires at the moment.

BronBron

So sad about the animals 🙁

When it is hot, I put the sprinkler on or I water the leaves of trees in order to create some cool areas. We do have town water though (if you didn’t, can you re-use the shower or laundry rinse water?)

MuklukMukluk
    Participant

I feel terrible, I can’t imagine how much those poor things must have suffered.

The rooster watched me carry one of the bodies away so I could bury it, he is looking very stressed today. I have already hosed down their favourite resting places so that it is a bit cooler for them, plus today is not as hot as yesterday.

We are not on town water. We normally use laundry water to water trees at night, but your idea of using it with a sprinkler is a good one. I would gladly lose a few more trees if it meant that the animals were more comfortable.

BobbeeBobbee

Yes that is very sad Mukluk. :hug:

I hope your health improves soon. :hug:

For the garden, a ‘make do’ could be to shove sticks in the ground to act as posts and throw anything you have over the top to create shade, eg old sheets, blankets, shade cloth, bags.

For the chookens, what Bron says sounds good to me, also we have found that filling the dust bath areas ( usually depressions in the ground) with water, letting that soak in and refilling a couple of times creates cool areas for the chookens to lie in.

You would need to do this every very hot day so if water availability is an issue for you I am not sure what else you can do. Do other folk in your area have chooks, if so ask what they are doing to help their animals cope with the heat.

All the best Mukluk. :hug:

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

so sorry about the chooks :(, I even hose down the dogs, – my floor is concrete, and I let them inside dripping wet, the just flake on the concrete floor

a friend in Port Augusta in SA, posted a photo of towns outside temperature digital guage, 51c !!

Anonymous

water is getting critical around here, at least we can buy water when funds are available, might mean water an no mulch the mulch keeps the root runs, catch 22.

our gardens have not been fully watered so what we do is spot water each plant, only just works, all second hand waer gets used.

we find the humidity is the worst part of the heat, it draws out our energy, no amount of shade works with humidity.

this year teh east needs water badly, any rain has been patchy, so much so our neighbour 100 meters away claimed he got 40mm and others further away to his west got 25mm, we are on his east side we would be lucky to have recieved 10mm.

the official rain guage recorded 80 odd mm over 2 days a couple weeks or so ago and all the rest of the district were up in arms over incorrect reporting, but alas that’s how it was no good abusing weather readers on tv.

sticky again today it just goes on.

len

jeanette kirkJeanie
    Participant

Dont know where you are Mukluk sorry about chookies I only have 3 luckly I have access to tank + town water put the sprinkler under the mandarin tree which also waters my pumpkin plant and my chooks dig themselves into the wet ground dont think I will have much of a harvest berry leaves scorched even with s cover its the hot winds lost strawberries with wilt, beans not growing ,suds starting to shrivel etc this is the first place Ive lived where Ive had trouble growing my house is made of fibro very very hot have 1 aircon in bedroom I escape into there when heat gets unbearable with also my computer

lostinthefoglostinthefog

Sorry about the chookies 🙁 ,it’s heartbreaking to lose animals. We lived in SA for a year many years ago and I found that dreadful, searing heat hard to cope with…tropical heat is much kinder even tho’ the humidity can be uncomfortable…I grew up in FNQ and lived there until 2011 and never found the heat as bad as that one summer in SA.

We now live in Tassie…I was tempted to say “move to Tassie…you’ll never be hot again”! But it has been hot here by Tassie standards…even went for a swim in the river :jawdrop:, we’ve had temps in the mid to high 30’s and one day of 40…nothing really, in fact quite enjoyable as such a prolonged spell of warmth is unusual here, I feel for the residents of NSW today…lets just hope things don’t get too dire…

PeterDPeterD

Feels like we were living up in Canberra down here with the heat and the garden destruction. Lost my beans, all shriveled up, lost 40+ walnut tree saplings. Lost the Oca, half of the leaves on the Yacon. Lost most of the other fruit tree saplings, cherries nectarine and lost 10 out of 13 avocados.

As you say watering heavy didn’t help. Our garden was flooded in water. The beans barely survived the 2 days of heat but the third one is what did them in.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Peter , that’s an awful lot to lose………..I’m complaining about a relatively small garden loss in comparison. Almost making me think it’s just not worth the effort or the finance involved to be able to produce food in such conditions.And it’s not just water and shade the plants need – I understand there’s lots of necessary growth requirements in the atmosphere when it’s raining, and from lightning, and hose watering just doesn’t provide all that.

My two bath tub wicking beds are going OK, both full of silverbeet, feral tomatoes and I think a feral cucumber.But the beans didn’t grow at all – perhaps they don’t like silver beet.I’m going to build more wicking beds I think and give up on in ground planting.

I began my veg gardening seriously a couple of years ago when we were receiving all the rain that resulted in the QLD floods.Our property drains perfectly and we were fortunately not affected by the floods at all but my veg gardens were bursting with produce.The last year has been such a different story………

S.O.PS.O.P

I started last year, attempting to major in perennial food for the ability to withstand dry conditions.

Problem is, they didn’t get time to establish and are struggling badly.

Tamarillo is a good plant to watch, probably an excellent plant to teach children on what a wilting plant looks like. It really wears its lack of water quite obviously.

Can the Aquaponics people chime in and state how they are going?

SnagsSnags

Leeks, parsnips and silverbeet are still doing well even without water.

Parsley,rocket and zucchini have a pulse but only just.

MuklukMukluk
    Participant

Wow snags we lost all of those except silver beet and leek a while back. My leeks are perennial leeks and when the weather gets too adverse they turn into an underground bulb. They went underground a long while ago even though i was watering them, probably because we were having temps of 39 in November. The silver beet is alive but not currently edible as it is mostly burned and damaged.

We even have a lot of succulents in the garden that have died recently. This year I had a feeling it would be hot so grew some things in pots that I have moved under shade, they are all sticking in there for now.

I too am keen to hear how aquaculture is standing up to this weather if anyone would care to share with us.

BlueWrenBlueWren

mmmmmmm………my second name is Tamarillo ……

BronBron

This morning I let the sprinklers work under some citrus that are suffering. Some are in the chook pen so the chooks aren’t feeling the heat (only 33* here so not as bad as it will be and not as bad as many other places). I also let the grey water drain onto them. These trees are about 40+ years old so there’s no way I’m letting them die if I can help it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.