Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Thick yoghurt in a slow cooker

Home Forums HOMEMADE Dairy products Thick yoghurt in a slow cooker

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    chase02chase02

As I eat the last of my 4th successful batch of yummy thick Greek-style yoghurt, I feel compelled to share this awesome technique for yoghurt making!!

All that is needed is a slow cooker, 2L of milk and 1/2 cup of store bought, live culture Greek yoghurt.

You will end up with 2L yoghurt, or slightly less if you strain at the end. So costs $1/liter after the first batch (you will use some of your own yoghurt as starter for the next batch.

1. Pour all milk into slow cooker, heat on LOW for 2.5 hrs

2. Turn off slow cooker, leave lid on. Wait 3 hours.

3. Ladle out 2 cups of the warm-ish milk, whisk in your starter yoghurt. You can add 1/4 cup of milk powder to help thicken if you wish. Dump back in slow cooker.

4. Leave lid on slow cooker, but leave turned off. Wrap in thick towels & wait 8 hours or overnight. Wake up to fresh yoghurt!

Should be pretty thick as is, if not then strain through a coffee filter or unbleached paper towel. Keep straining for 24 hours if you want to make Labneh!

Blend in fruit you like.

RobyneRobyne

I will give this recipe ago,

I usually make mine in apan and Ihave an old yought maker simaler to a flask sometimes it works we eat it, sometimes it doesn’t so we drink that one

threedogsthreedogs

We have been using the YoGo yoghurt maker which has been great but it works out a lot dearer than $1/L.

I think I might try to just put 1/2 cup of my yo-go yoghurt into milk and mix in the YoGo container and use the YoGo maker as per normal. I think that would work? A lot cheaper – don’t know why I haven’t tried it before. The slow cooker sounds great for larger quantities. I might have to give that a go too! Thanks. 🙂

Matty AlanMatty Alan

That’s an awesome idea; and so easy. Thanks!

zippyzippy

I have an easyo yoghurt maker and just left 1/2 cup of the prev batch in there, shook around some boiled and cooled milk (with extra powder added) and it worked. not as thick but nice.

I like your idea of the slow cooker!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.