Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Thermomix owners (or wanters)….I have a few questions for you

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Homecooked food (Recipe Request) Thermomix owners (or wanters)….I have a few questions for you

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    dierichdierich
    Participant

veginout post=347062 wrote: fruitful they do run special cooking classes for thermie owners that cost $15 for ingredients and instructor fees. I’ve been to a couple of demos at no cost – except a few basic ingredients for they one I held to get the thermoserve – a free lunch for my guests.

There was no pressure to buy, except a questionaire that asks something like ‘when will you buy?’ that everyone fobs off with ‘I whish’ or similar.

I think of it as a scullery maid – watch the temp and stir the sauce, beat the batter, chop the onion, grind the LSA/wheat/rice/sugar – she has never burnt a thing and I haven’t had to tell her off once.

LOL – so true :laugh:

redhen2redhen2

Hi Vanessa. I’ve had one for a couple of months and I, too, was hesitant because I like to cook from scratch. However, there were things that i wasn’t cooking because i just don’t have time and patience.

It certainly takes the palaver out of some things: i made a small batch (6 jars) of jam while i was making dinner; i made quince paste without burning myself; i can make custard while i do something else. i’m planning to start making coconut butter for cooking (better for you than many alternatives – but expensive to buy).

I’m liking that it is a good introduction to cooking for kids. my 11yo son has made custard several times, banana bread etc.

when i CBF cooking, i can whip up pumpkin soup with very little effort and time – saving money that may be spent on take away.

things i don’t like: the noise. some things take a long time to cook and the whirring for an hour drives me mental. i also struggle with the 1/2 second until your parmesan turns to powder. i think the self-cleaning claim is a little bit of artistic licence.

i’m happy to have it and i use it pretty well every day.

VanessaVanessa

redhen2 post=347065 wrote: Hi Vanessa. I’ve had one for a couple of months and I, too, was hesitant because I like to cook from scratch. However, there were things that i wasn’t cooking because i just don’t have time and patience.

It certainly takes the palaver out of some things: i made a small batch (6 jars) of jam while i was making dinner; i made quince paste without burning myself; i can make custard while i do something else. i’m planning to start making coconut butter for cooking (better for you than many alternatives – but expensive to buy).

I’m liking that it is a good introduction to cooking for kids. my 11yo son has made custard several times, banana bread etc.

when i CBF cooking, i can whip up pumpkin soup with very little effort and time – saving money that may be spent on take away.

things i don’t like: the noise. some things take a long time to cook and the whirring for an hour drives me mental. i also struggle with the 1/2 second until your parmesan turns to powder. i think the self-cleaning claim is a little bit of artistic licence.

i’m happy to have it and i use it pretty well every day.

Thanks for that Redhen2 this is the sort of things I am thinking of too, and as for the noise I have read that people sometimes lock it in the laundry if it needs to do something for an extended time, or wrapping it in a thick towel reduces some of the noise.

redhen2redhen2

so, did you get one?

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Wow! Redhen2! Haven’t seen you for simply YONKS! Welcome back.

VanessaVanessa

Yes I did get one and I must admit that I used it a bit to start of with, but I have been a bit slack in the kitchen department in general lately.

I don’t dislike it (apart from the noise) but would I buy one again?? well I would probably say not. Would I get rid of….probably not….. hehehe

I did like the fact that soups that would normally take a couple of hours to cook (and not all that easily un-attended on our electric stovetop) took maybe half an hour, and made enough for tea for the two of us and leftovers for lunch.

Salads…. I must say that I tried a couple of times (with the first being the given mush which seems to come as a rite of passage with being a new Thermomix owner) and although it is quick and if you can resist that turbo setting and take a couple more seconds on about level 4 it does pass as edible, but I think I have been spoilt by a knife and grater and like the diffence between chopped and grated.

Bread…..we were experimenting with a gluten free diet, and tried time and time again to get something resembling bread out of the thermomix with very little good results. We have now abandoned the gluten free and gone more “limited gluten” with good results and got given a second hand bread maker by MIL, so Saturday night is usually “make a loaf of bread for bacon and eggs in the morning” night. Which is working quite well (especially for the price tag of $2) and we have found that DP doesnt seem to react to the homemade bread as much. But should give the Thermomix another chance with normal bread maybe.

I did make a batch of lemon cordial though which I did like, based on a recipe my mum used to make which was orange and lemon and I remember taking at least a full day simmering on the stove before we could bottle it, this one was done and bottled within an hour I think.

I also made some tomato paste which I thought turned out pretty good, again what would have taken hours and constant attention to reduce on the stove was done in maybe half an hour or so, while I was off doing something else.

I made a citrus peel “slush” with peels I had been saving and storing in the freezer, and poored it around the garden where the neighbours cats like to visit…seemed to have some effect for a while.

And I have brought myself a dehydrator for Christmas, so I can see things like roll ups and dehydrated soups being tried with the aid of the Thermomix.

In hind sight I probably would have been better off buying one of the cheaper “cooking machines” and a half decent food processor, which does slice/chop/dice etc, but for now I am happy with the collection of half decent knives I have for those functions, and I am only cooking for 2 not an army.

redhen2redhen2

Hi Lady B. Thanks for the welcome. It has been a long time.

Vanessa, don’t give up. It might be a good idea to book a Varoma demo – this will focus on the steaming function, which can do some very nice things. I agree that sometimes chopped will not do and things must be grated.

I have made some excellent bread. we have had a breadmaker for aaages and when we’re all at home, my partner will make bread most nights and that’s lovely. But, when we’ve forgotten and dinner is in an hour and it’s chicken soup and how can we not have bread, a batch of bread rolls whipped together in the TMX (obviously, this requires the oven as well).

WHile it’s so hot, make a sorbet and you’ll fall in love with it.

Since i first commented on this thread, i have become a thermomix consultant. I’m too far away to come over and make bread with you, but you might find my Facebook page (not linking properly: “Inventing Dinner”) helpful to inspire you or answer questions. It also focuses on growing food.

VanessaVanessa

Thanks for that, have found and liked your page.

I need to have a demo as when I ordered my machine was when they were doing the two thermoservers deal, but I only get them when I have a demo.

Even if I haven’t had a demo can I request a varoma demo?, and how can I find a decent consultant, as I will not be dealing with the woman I bought my machine from, as when I was in the process of ordering I said that I wanted the sale to go to my dad (as he was becoming a consultant, and was the one who introduced me to Thermomix), but he hadn’t yet done the training and got his consultants number, so she agreed that on paper if I ordered then my sale would go through her, and then the first sale she made after dad got his consultant number would go through him. Well she ended up going back on her word, changed her story to he had to make it trough the trial period or something, and never gave dad a sale in place of mine, as she had told both me and Dad in seperate conversations!!!! From what dad tells me it also happened to co-inside with her being very close to the sales needed for some free trip overseas, so hence my dad didn’t get the benefit of my sale, and didn’t make the quota in the trial time and got told he couldn’t continue as a consultant. So hence I am not giving her any chance to promote herself or make any sales. (Can I make a complaint to the company about her?? – I know in hindsight I should have just waited, but I got sucked in)

dierichdierich
    Participant

My best friend’s sister-in-law is a consultant (bought mine from her) – she’s south so not sure if she travels, but I’ll pm you her email address if you want to contact her. She may know someone in your area if its too far for her.

I would make a complaint if I was you – they may not be able to do anything, but you’ll feel better having done something!

BelBel

My friend is a Thermomix consultant. She is lovely & not at all pushy. Let me know if you want her details 🙂

VanessaVanessa

Bel, would you please send me through her details. I know my dad is looking for another consultant (not surprisingly) to go through if he needs any spares or extras.

mudhenmudhen

Did you end up getting ahold of Bel’s friend, Vanessa? I visited her today for a one-on-one demo, and placed my order. We are really looking forward to it’s arrival next week :cheer: . She has been a real gem, informative but not at all pushy. I can’t wait to make jam without my kitchen getting completely splattered! I’m not a tidy cook at the best of times, so this can only be a good thing!

VanessaVanessa

I think I got her details but I didnt get in touch with her, not sure if my dad did or not.

I am needing to make some more sweet chilli Sauce, so it will get pulled out shortly and used again.

Word of warning if you use it to chop dried chillies, let it settle for a few moments before you open the lid and then peer in very carefully, it can be very sinus clearing, if you breath in the vapours (both from the dried chilli and the fumes from sweet chilli sauce)

mudhenmudhen

lol I think extreme caution has to be used with anything to do with chillies! I have been hoping to get to making some more chilli cordial one of these days. Do you have a good recipe for sweet chilli sauce? I actually like the basic store bought stuff, but have just run out and really should make my own.

VanessaVanessa

Yep i got my recepie of the net, somewhere like taste.com, when I find it I’ll share it here.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.