Aussies Living Simply

There is no alternative soil

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Think Tank There is no alternative soil

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Hummer
    Keymaster

“We are almost seven billion people now,” he says. “Out of seven billion, more than one billion people are hungry, out of that 300 million are in the Indian subcontinent and by 2050 there will be 9.2 billion people.

For Lal, building soil carbon will involve paying farmers to return crop residues to the land. He says it is not about turning away from chemical fertilisers. “I am a very strict vegetarian,” Lal says. “If we were to go 100 per cent organic we can feed a billion people.

“Which five billion will we choose should not have food?” he asks. “It is my duty to make sure everybody gets food.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/features/what-happens-when-the-food-runs-out/story-e6frg6z6-1226004670563

I think distribution plays a very big part, considering we in the west throw away up to half the food we produce AND yet over half of Australian adults are either overweight or obese (even the half we use is obviously still way too much). Maybe if we in the west were a little bit more responsible, things wouldn’t be so bleak for the have nots.

trandto

Reid_alderbooks post=304685 wrote: Maybe if we in the west were a little bit more responsible, things wouldn’t be so bleak for the have nots.

A noble sentiment good sir, one I support, best of luck trying to garner support for it though. Mention cutting back on our carbon pollution for example, and your pariahed 🙂

Though this was interesting

The Six-Legged Meat of the Future

Meanwhile, our food needs are on the rise. The human population is expected to grow from six billion in 2000 to nine billion in 2050. Meat production is expected to double in the same period, as demand grows from rising wealth. Pastures and fodder already use up 70% of all agricultural land, so increasing livestock production would require expanding agricultural acreage at the expense of rain forests and other natural lands. Officials at the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization recently predicted that beef could become an extreme luxury item by 2050, like caviar, due to rising production costs.

Raising insects for food would avoid many of the problems associated with livestock.

Erthgirl

There was a really good thread a while back by ‘Bullseye’ about carbon sequestering and broad acre crop management.

From what I remember that a well managed broad acre pasture, had the potential to be a lot more efficient at sequestering carbon than a forest of the same area?

I reckon if we can convert the world’s food producers to base their food production on biodynamic and permaculture principles… and reduce the ‘bad habits’ of the western world we have ‘half a chance’…. 😉

Sonya

I’m currently reading soil not oil by Vandana Shiva which discusses how it can be done.

Sustainable farming is the only way to go

Sonya

trandto

Erthgirl post=305270 wrote: From what I remember that a well managed broad acre pasture, had the potential to be a lot more efficient at sequestering carbon than a forest of the same area?

and how does broad acre farming tie in with Permeculture, it’s the antithesis ! That asdie, I and the animals of the Planet like natural forests 🙂

Erthgirl post=305270 wrote: I reckon if we can convert the world’s food producers to base their food production on biodynamic and permaculture principles… and reduce the ‘bad habits’ of the western world we have ‘half a chance’…. 😉

Nahh not a hope in hell, one of the reasons the green revolution was successfully able to feed Billions back in the ’60’s and ’70s was because of mechanisation, fertilizers and pesticides. Permeculture / Biodynamics has no chance on a Planet wide food scale, WAY to many people. Their is a glimmer of hope from GM crops, I have no problems with GM per se, just the lunacy attached to the IP by Government. The biggest is way to many people and the pollution we create that’s forever altering the bioshpere.

NB We grow our stuff organically and sell the excess at the local organic store. We have 85% of our property as natural bush.

Hummer
    Keymaster

trandto post=312802 wrote:

I have no problems with GM per se, just the lunacy attached to the IP by Government. The biggest is way to many people and the pollution we create that’s forever altering the bioshpere.

NB We grow our stuff organically and sell the excess at the local organic store. We have 85% of our property as natural bush.

I find it difficult to compute that you grow and sell your own organic produce trandto.. but have no problems with GM crops.

Do you mean you don’t have an issue with GM as long as you don’t have to consume it ?

Is there a double edged sword or double sided coin flipping around amongst these comments somewhere ?

No judgement intended here btw.. just curious questions.

Erthgirl

I’d prefer forests too matey :tup:

My comments were directed at the millions of hectares world wide, that have already been cleared and… well …. mightily stuffed up by conventional petrochemical based large scale broad acre farming methods.

By managing the pastures in a more sustainable and way… i.e by planting a myriad of different grasses/legumes/crops etc, and by sustainably grazing livestock (whilst simultaneously growing a mix of deep rooted pasture grasses, and legumes and other carbon sequestering goodies.) By managing the already millions of acres of pasture in this way… so it can regenerate without the need to to constantly plough and re-seed… to keep the microbial activity of the soil at a good level, , well… it just may be a better way of doing things on a mass scale.

By the selective and sustainable grazing of appropriately managed livestock (on already cleared land), this can hopefully contribute to enough humus building, composting activity to take place, which effectively store a whole heap of carbon….

Given that there’s been recent studies which show, this approach can sequester more carbon than a forest of the same land area…. and given the time it would take to ‘re-grow’ a forest in the millions of acres of (as before mentioned) already cleared land, this might indeed by a genuine, useful, viable alternative… dare I say a ‘solution’ to deal with the millions of acres of badly wounded earth out there…. an approach that can assist in feeding the burgeoning global population.

Just my two cents worth…

Evening all :kiss:

Erthgirl

And again…

Might I add, it is my belief … that if enough people practiced biodynamic and permaculture principles, and incorporated these methods of food production (be it on a small or large scale), then it WOULD… it WOULD make a difference.

How could it not.

It’s a matter of educating the masses and sharing the knowledge….

Geez I love being an optimist :clap: :hug: :tup:

Hummer
    Keymaster

Erthgirl post=312850 wrote: And again…

Might I add, it is my belief … that if enough people practiced biodynamic and permaculture principles, and incorporated these methods of food production (be it on a small or large scale), then it WOULD… it WOULD make a difference.

How could it not.

It’s a matter of educating the masses and sharing the knowledge….

Geez I love being an optimist :clap: :hug: :tup:

Yes Erthgirl, I agree with you.

Education, determination and a belief/knowing that it will work.. change would follow :tup:

ahning

trandto post=312802 wrote: …and how does broad acre farming tie in with Permeculture, it’s the antithesis ! That asdie, I and the animals of the Planet like natural forests 🙂

Google “broad acre permaculture”. A lot has been going on since at least the early 990s. Very heartening.

Ahning

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.