Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

The super trawler has arrived in Australian waters………….&*^%$ OFF!!!

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Community Activism and Self Nurturing Communities The super trawler has arrived in Australian waters………….&*^%$ OFF!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

may i ask a question please?

did these researchers in teh wouthern state get out from infront of their computer models and try and catch a fish any fish, even a ferel trout. now there would be a good cause, NZ are doing similar clear our water ways of trout so our native fish can be introduced trout are as bad as carp.

len

BobbeeBobbee

This may well be a piddly comment but please Len the word ‘secular’ as far as I understand, means ‘not religious’. Please can you not plop it into your posts willy nilly.

Fish in our part of the world is clearly marked with the name of the country and sometimes the Aussie state, eg Tasmanian, that it comes from. It is up to the people (again) to vote with their cash and buy only the Aussie fish.

I realize that cuts back choice, I had to choose between salmon and flathead tails last week and because of the cost I chose to only buy a very small amount of fish and I told the lass behind the counter why I chose to buy that small amount of Aussie fish.

I firmly believe my comments, added to other discerning shoppers comments, will be relayed back to the manager of the shop. People power reigns supreme to my mind at least.

As an example of this people power, the large supermarket in our town now sells more and more organic food.

🙂

🙂

Anonymous

it’s not willy nilly bobbee it is in our cosntitution so if you have a problem hearing something from our constituion then go there and complain.

we’d love to buy only local caught fresh fish(fresh the operative word not that super chilled almost frozen tasteless stuff they sell as fresh), BUT! we can’t afford when we can find it, that is, so most of my fish is that terrible stuff in cans or krill oil supplement.

be good to see generous researchers dealing with the real issues, protect breeding grounds and get rid of ferel fish that ruin breeding grounds just like developers do, up here that is the carp down south it is carp and trout at teh very least or to point out teh obvious.

and if i can point out a secular society is in trouble look to bangladesh, boston london and a start down melbourne way, that is teh fruits of secular society.

you comments may fall on barren ground teh retailer is governed by the fish market not the fisherman, i won’t comment on gmo trout and salmon.

sorry for that not my rules, we jsut live under them.

len

SnagsSnags

Carp is an important part of Asian and European diets

Maybe we could start creating recipes and a local market for them as they are in abundance.

Anonymous

didn’t even infer to erradicate them in asia and europe, they should be a banned live imprt like teh fox and ferel cat, we have our won fishes or did have.

len

AirgeadAirgead

There is plenty of really good, cheap, locally caught fish available (in our local fish shop anyways). If you are prepared to look beyond the usual “premium” varieties.

Mullet. Yellowtail, Leatherjacket. Garfish. Mackerel. Even Trevally is pretty cheap. All really tasty and dirt cheap usually. I buy Mullet for a couple of $ a kilo and things like leatherjacket are about a dollar a kilo.

The one advantage to city living is plenty of choice.

We also used go go to the fish markets and buy bulk. Had to stop though as we made the mistake of going while the missus was pregnant. She opened the car door, took one breath, threw up and had to leave. Hasn’t been able to go back since. Fortunately a really good fish shop opened up locally soon after.

If you have a fish market or fisherman’s co-op somewhat near by, take an esky full of ice and buy in bulk. Lovely, fresh and cheap. As long as you aren’t pregnant and suffering from morning sickness.

Cheers

Dave

Anonymous

g’day dave,

that is great you are very lucky to ahve such a variety available so sheaply, up here if i drive maryborough(we do when money is available for somefish) our main choice is only mullet most caught out of the muddy mary rivers but at around $5-6 per kilo i buy and enjoy eating it as it is fresh and not grey in flesh colour, hardly ever see travelly, yellow tail kingies, and mackeral, if at all, they have reef fish fillets and whole fish whole mulloway but all too expensive around 12+$’s per kilo’, for our menu. even whole mullet around $6 per k.

so as we have no idea what your locality is, wouldn’t help us anyway.

glad you are so well looked after.

len

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

:hijacked: pending …

Please excuse this brief detour of the main topic – but if one can’t find or afford the favoured fish – then go vegetarian. That way, the raping of the seas, or putting up with imported or muddy fish, won’t be an issue.

Neither will affordability.

OK.. back to the main program …

:whistle:

SnagsSnags

gardenlen post=356282 wrote: didn’t even infer to erradicate them in asia and europe, they should be a banned live imprt like teh fox and ferel cat, we have our won fishes or did have.

len

Nor did I

I said eat them here if they are in abundance

Dont just catch them and destroy them

Good cheap protein for the down trodden who cant afford fish.

Anonymous

that won’t get them out of our waterways, catch them all at once and make patties out of them maybe? but while they are there our native fishes lose breeding grounds. even better catch them all and turn them into fertiliser so better vege’s can be grown.

in teh mean time when we can afford it we will buy local caught mullet, make a special trip. when we lived in the ‘burb’s we had heaps of choice but fish was also a lot dearer and mostly not that fresh.

len

SnagsSnags

As feed for fish farms might work towards relieving pressure from declining wild fish stocks (as human and fish farm food) and managing a pest.

2 birds one stone

AirgeadAirgead

I use charlie carp on my vege garden. Its made from ground up carp from the rivers. Gets rid of a pest and grows fantastic veges as well.

Cheers

Dave

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.