Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

The super trawler has arrived in Australian waters………….&*^%$ OFF!!!

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Community Activism and Self Nurturing Communities The super trawler has arrived in Australian waters………….&*^%$ OFF!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    SnagsSnags

As it relies on the discretion of the Minister and there will probably be a change to a business first, fish stocks last government within 2 years so its not all good news

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant
    trandtotrandto

gardenlen post=348282 wrote: yes robyne,

we are being sold out all over the place, china if not is about to own cuddy, more water than sydney harbour will come under their control, same in the kimberlies. selling our food land, sold out over this cli8mate hype, now more than ever our fish stocks are going to be raped, and

Soooo… We in Aus are okay with “raping” the seas of others, i.e more then 70% of the fish we eat is imported … but when others want to rape our seas we get all indignant ?

We have the longest coastline of any country on the Planet and yet we import 70% of the fish consumed, something is seriously WRONG with us.

Examples abound, we get all indignant over “CSG” (CH4) but insist “natural gas” (CH4) is the solution to a low carbon energy future ? eg here

We get all indignant of extractive industries, and then go buy petrol or diesel to put in the car, and who knows the provenience of the oil used ? Was it from the Nigeria Delta where we have helped decimate the country by our purchasing decisions ? or where does the ingredients, including the metal, in a tin of Ravioli come from ?

Farmers can’t sell their farms to make a quid to retire, because Aussies would rather spend their money buying and selling homes (real estate industry) and getting their poodle washed (service industry). We have the greatest concentration of city dwelling of any country on the Planet, who else is going to buy and work these farms aside from non citizens ? Aussies could not make a go of Cubby, it went bankrupt !

gardenlen post=348282 wrote:

the greens want to stop mum and dad and kids fishing on the east coast.

fish if not so is rapidly dissapearing on the aussie dinner plates, unless it is that polluted catfish basa from asian polluted waters.

sad time now for all the world but particularly australia.

garbage leadership we have these days. the rot is now putrid

len

and I am not having a go at you in particular Len, you raise some good points… I know you think the Scientific evidence is all wrong in regards the devastation of AGW but the depth and breath of the cognitive dissonance by the peoples of the World is truly breathtaking. The politicians are a reflection of the people. I get tired of people blaming others, we’re to blame.

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]xIraCchPDhk[/video]

Anonymous

your emotions maybe a bit off line trandto?

no it is not alright for anyone to rape their waters, all local caught fish etc.,. should go to local tables not make it a commodoty on the world market. the reason that much fish comes here is the affordablity and availability is not here many thnaks to little green people beating the wrong drum. neitehr is it ok for them to rape our waters and sell it back to us.

south africans, new zealanders and japan at least are rping other peoples oceans for food fish. probably goes in cans and ends up on our shelves, the greatest amount of fresh fish will be basa from asia grown in their polluted waters the basa is a bottom feeder like catfish.

yes the green people want no manufacturing in oz nor do they want any fishing along the east coast(they should return to tassie and try to save some trees). but they aren’t into protesting the trading of our live fishes to asia.

yes something is wrong but the gov won’t stop it.

sorry the politicains are long time not the reflection of the people they are the reflection of lobbyist and lobby groups, who take the electorates minds by creating red herrings as they push for laws that suit them, that is what secular means in our constituion, we are no longer underpinned by moral ethics, neither are our leaders, linning their pockets with red.

politics with out moral ethics is not “of the people – by the people – for the people”

yes teh real estate industry with gov’ put teh speculation of homes as the priority, if farmers still lived near our communitites they would not have to sell of the farm (which does nothing for food production) right now, it worked back in teh 50’s or so. cut out the middle man, and the farmer will live well, using no more than 20 acres.

yes it is all wrong trandto, the way we fish evolved from river trawling to bay trawling now right out to deep ocean trawling, the fish have nowhere to hide, we need a more sustainable way to provide fresh fish for local communitites and no fish farms are a blight, they pollute.

when we can afford it we only eat local fish, don’t buy take away where they don’t identify teh fish, don’t want that basa in my mouth.

len

AirgeadAirgead

Len

Sorry.. that’s bollocks again.

Greens (and I number myself firmly amongst them). Don’t want no manufacturing. They don’t want no fishing.

They just want SUSTAINABLE manufacturing and SUSTAINABLE fishing.

That means chanhing manufacturing to produce things with lower impacts. It means closing the loop to recycle and re use waste. It means sustainable catches and reserves to preserve breeding stocks.

Your ideas about “greens’ and their “agenda” are completely wrong.

Cheers

Dave

AndreAndre
    Keymaster
    Anonymous

g’day dave you can call it what you like that judgement comes from clearly judging others by your own merits, why stop recreational fishing they do no damage at all. and sustainable manufacturing means no manufacturing as they will all go off shore, you cannot force their bottom line they jsut pass that onto their consumers, dog chasing its tail syndrome. i ahve seen nothing that even indicates those greens aree wanting sustainable fishing that will only come when we look at how we supply local fish to local tables.

already as stated 70% of what gets eaten here in fish comes from asian fisheries all out of heavily polluted waters, fish, muscles, oysters prawns, that i whaat they want dangerous food to eat.

anyhow again i have my opinion, i don’t support any political party, dunno how anyone could.

len

AirgeadAirgead

Sheesh Len, you would have to be the most negative person I have ever come across.

On one hand you argue that we should stop despoiling the environment and on the other hand you argue that any action is futile and bad because it will drive manufacturing offshore and/or hurt jobs or do somethign else bad for the economy.

Its like one half of your brain is a neo consevative, tea party style, free market ecconomic rationalist and the other half of your brain is a tie dyed hippy.

Do your two personalities know the other exists? Do they take it in turns to drive? Or is there a constant battle for control going on?

You don’t want the environment damaged, you want a better deal for the poor and disavantaged. Great. What are you going to do about it? You can bitch and moan on the internet, or you can join the conversation in a constructiuve way and come up with some ideas to share. Your choice.

Cheers

Dave

Anonymous

dunno what you are on about dave?

again valuing me by your own merits.

at least i am not driven by man made doctrine of politics.

take care

len

oh! sticks and stones may break my bones – but names will never harm me. good marale(spelling)

SnagsSnags

religion is a man made doctrine

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

From Len

“why stop recreational fishing they do no damage at all”

Apparently not –

Myth: Greenies are attacking our right to ‘throw a line out’. This is harmless. it’s commercial fishers and land based pollution that’s affecting fish stocks.

Fact: Recreational fishing has only recently been recognised as having a potentially significant impact on aquatic resources.

Estimates from a recent national survey of fishing indicate that NSW recreational fishers catch around 13 million fish each year (Henry & Lyle 2003). The total NSW recreational harvest was estimated to be about 30% of the commercial harvest, but the share of the resource varied greatly among species. Bream, dusky flathead and whiting were harvested in greater numbers by recreational fishers than commercial fishers.

I think people should do some reading for themselves instead of just guessing …

:S

Anonymous

yep that’s correct snags,

i’m not into religion, so hope you are wise enough to count in all religions eg.,. evolutionary science all science, mythology and paganism, earth worship environmental worship, sun, moon etc.,. etc.,. count them all in, even hallowing politicians is a religion.

anyhow having said that none of those pollies, that andre mentions in his signature line, would want to start in the right place to save fish stocks for food, you see they are all there because of donations, the greens have their heads in the cloud trying to be noticed before teh election they ahve been losing support and after the election they’l be the whisper in the corner, not that they have much notice now.

like our climate our waters, rivers, bays, offshore reefs are affected primarily by deforestation for development, for industry, tourism, housing farming and turning trees into mulch.

then they need to look at how we fish for food for our communities, that is not many in qld can afford a mud crab at around 40 to 60 bucks a kilo'(1/2 the weight is shell) because they all go to NSW for the yuppies tables. fish need to be caught local for local, no export.

been an amateur fisher for 40+ years seen fishing spots dissapear not from over fishing but development and sludging the waters.

corrupt paid for stat’s are no evidence, i’m counting the mum dad and kids not the promoters of big fish kills and catches you need to drop those ones out, the gov’ should have stopped those jaunts a long time ago. common snese would tell you as amateurs can only reach so littel of teh marine area rivers, beaches, bays and off shore there is noway nay reasonable person could believe that sort of research, what is teh thinking teh fish jump on the hooks?? lol?

len

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

Some people should get their heads out of the sand and do some research instead of making stuff up.

Myth: Greenies are attacking our right to ‘throw a line out’. This is harmless. it’s commercial fishers and land based pollution that’s affecting fish stocks.

Fact: Recreational fishing has only recently been recognised as having a potentially significant impact on aquatic resources.

Estimates from a recent national survey of fishing indicate that NSW recreational fishers catch around 13 million fish each year (Henry & Lyle 2003). The total NSW recreational harvest was estimated to be about 30% of the commercial harvest, but the share of the resource varied greatly among species. Bream, dusky flathead and whiting were harvested in greater numbers by recreational fishers than commercial fishers.

:pinch:

GumnutGumnut

Is this the document you’re talking about Andre? http://eprints.utas.edu.au/2526/1/Henry_Lyle_Nationalsurvey.pdf

Also for those interested, here’s an article titled “Minister backflips on flathead catch but damage done”. Seems the NSW Fisheries minister recently signed off on a document removing catch limits for flathead and other species for commercial fishing… until the word got out. :dry:

http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/minister-backflips-on-flathead-catch-but-damage-done

Anonymous

thnaks gumnut,

that is waht i mean by manmade doctrine, that research is not independant of who pays winds policy then a survey is asked for teh group asking for it already has an agenda so they want to mould some paid for research to bolster their plans and mostly they are more about control of select groups than about actual fact.

i have been an amateur fisherman for 50 years or so, i have never had fish jump onto my hooks or jump into my boat, fishing is all about putting yourself in what you reckon is teh right spot(X on the side of the boat chuckle), the right fresh bait, tide and moon phase, then hope not too many fair weather wife gives them breakfast in bed loads their boaties come along at exactly the wrong time and of course show no respect. the catch figures attributed to rank amateurs is in dreamtime.

len

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.