Aussies Living Simply

The Rocky experiment

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE The Garden Log The Rocky experiment

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 427 total)
  • Author
    diannedianne
    Participant

and this is from the bit of dirt that DH wonts to put the shed. It has been, lets just say, a few years in the waiting and I got sick of waiting so I put in a couple left over tomato seedling I had no room for. I figured they were extra and if the shed arrived I would just put them up. The kids also throw the left over birds seed into here. Well the shed has not appeared and I have not watered or looked after this spot at all but I know have some HUGH GL tomatoes ( I will be saving seed from one of these) and 3 different types of cherry tomatoes (these were meant to be GL) and the birds seed also came up. and this is the end result.

diannedianne
    Participant

And just to prove the garden is getting better, I have a few flowers comming up. There are a bunch of maragolds from the seeds I tried to grow a while back, guss it wasnt warm enough yet. These were seeds I saved from the plant I showed a while back. I thought the seed was no good but turns out they were. Also been trying to plant some sunflowers for a while with no results but have some come up be themselves. The last time I had sunflowers they grow about 40cm high, this one is about 1.5m high.:metal: still nowhere near where SIL has them but getting there.

diannedianne
    Participant

NOW – SOME MAY WONT TO LOOK AWAY 😉

TOMATO TALLY

so far

the GL – 2.92 KG

one im not sure what it is – 490g

cherry (different types) – 1.95 kg

yellow pear – 500g

So around 5.85kg:metal::metal::metal:

I even had to give some away to familiy :metal:

So if I go by the price in the shop the other day

slicing tomato $6 kg Ill be nice $5kg thats about $17.50cherry tomato $3 a 250g thing :jawdrop: thats $30.00 saved:jawdrop: OH MY GOSH thats a lot when you work it out like that.

geminiscgeminisc

*chokes*

geminiscgeminisc

hey dianne, i swear those bird seed plants look VERY SIMILAR to busy lizzie’s wheat attempts.

and there I was trying to find pics of huuuuge tomatoes.

regardless of your claims of kg of fruit – no piccie means it didn’t happen!! :lol::lol::lol:

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

geminisc wrote:

regardless of your claims of kg of fruit – no piccie means it didn’t happen!! :lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: So true Gem

It is similar the grassy thing but its not Wheat, Id wait till it dries out and then you will have a better idea of what it is and the use for it ( free bird seed)

The garden is looking great Di, Tomatoes down here are $10 a kg, I buy the nicest looking ones but they still never compare with homegrown. Im looking forward to planting my Luffas this afternoon, have picked a spot and am rearing to go (just gotta hope no more frosts. Have a good weekend :hug:

diannedianne
    Participant

busylizzie wrote:

geminisc wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: So true Gem

It is similar the grassy thing but its not Wheat, Id wait till it dries out and then you will have a better idea of what it is and the use for it ( free bird seed)

The garden is looking great Di, Tomatoes down here are $10 a kg, I buy the nicest looking ones but they still never compare with homegrown. Im looking forward to planting my Luffas this afternoon, have picked a spot and am rearing to go (just gotta hope no more frosts. Have a good weekend :hug:

:(:(now thats not fair. I dont have any photos remember, lost them all:(

pretty sure the “grassy thing” is millit. that is the main part to the birds seed. they look so cool swaying in the wind, would love to have a small paddock of it.

:jawdrop:$10 I think I would make DH go without:lol: hope the luffas grow well for you:tup:

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

:shy: Sorry Di, it seems Gem forgot about the photos, (naughty girl) and I as well. :kiss: :hug: You can keep your tally for the Tomatoes, we trust and believe you. 🙂

DH loves his Toms and cant wait for the season to begin, thats why I have to buy ones so expensive that atleast have a little taste to them. I only buy about 4 a week, dont forget all those Toms I preserve in Summer, they get used in recipes all the time.

diannedianne
    Participant

😆 My DH would pay that too.

diannedianne
    Participant

ok so this is the best I can do, this is a pic of what I had left in the fridge

diannedianne
    Participant

and this is what I picked yesterday. sorry photo not so good, had to use DDs ds as DH had the camara.

And look…..my first beetroot:metal: roasted for tea last night Y U M

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

Well done Di, great harvest :tup:

diannedianne
    Participant

😀

Forgot to tell you, I was digging over the little space that had the raddish in yesterday to plant some more carrots/beetroot and I found worms:metal: this used to be one of the worst spots, hard rock like clay, but it was so easy to dig and worms :metal: I havent ever had a worm in the garden bed and now there are heeps of them everwhere. before I thought the claims of biodynamics was great but was still a slite unsure but after only one application of it the difference is definitely there. The soil is better, there are heeps more animals in the soil, and the plants are growing much better. Almost cant beleave the difference.

I got all excited yesterday saying Ive got worms, Ive got worms, and was just told to go take a pill. but didnt care, still proud of myself:D:lol:

geminiscgeminisc

oh :shy: sorry i did forget about your computer woes!

i love how you took the pic of the toms on the stove and it says ‘hot surface’… 😆

check out those yellow baby pears!!

all my toms are now between 5 and 10cm tall. i’m still a bit scared to put them out. i put out a louffa two weeks back and it DIED. as did the zucchini and the squash :@

i did manage to save one louffa which i’d smartily put in the corner between the bed and the concrete path so hopefully that’s why it’s still alive – from the retained heat.

i have however moved out all my beans. but it’s the toms that i’m dying to put out! and there you are with all that harvest!!!

congrats congrats congrats on teh worms!! what did you do? i have beds of clay at my place too. so far i’ve got a layer of alpaca poo and some hay on there. but i’m not holding my breath.

only on ALS can we get fellow sympathy and joy about things like poo and worm! take a pill indeed. tut tut tut

HerbmanHerbman

Wow! That’s a lot of tomatoes. Well done :tup:

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 427 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.