Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

The mutton renaissance

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    casalentacasalenta

As some of you may know, I get raw milk from a local farmer, and a couple of times a year he has meat for sale. This time it was lamb, mutton, beef and veal.

Well, I bought a few cuts of beef and veal and a mutton (whole sheep cut up). I had the first meal from the mutton a few days ago, and it was divine!

Yes, it has to be cooked slowly, but it has so much flavour that nothing else needs to be added. Unlike tasteless lamb, you don’t need to smother it in rosemary or mint sauce to make it taste of something.

Why is it that we prefer to send our sheep overseas on torture boats to lands where they tend not to consider the animals’ welfare, rather than eating the mutton ourselves?

I’m having people to lunch tomorrow for a roast leg of mutton. I’ll be slow roasting it for 5-6 hours. I’ll post the recipe tomorrow, but basically slow roasted with a lemon and garlic marinade/baste.

Here’s a link about the mutton renaissance happening in Europe: http://www.muttonrenaissance.org.uk/

It needs to happen here too, so ask your butcher for mutton, and cook it slow!

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

used to eat it in perth as a child, it was much cheaper to buy at the supermarket than lamb.

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

I’d love to get hold of some mutton or even hogget. Just never see it around.

What cut did you use, Casalenta and how did you cook it? (Go on, make me drool) 🙂

jaden62jaden62

Mutton is gorgeous – especially saltbush mutton, but hard to find. There was a butcher in Modbury (SA) who had mutton regularly, but not many of them do anymore. And there no longer seems to be “country-kill” butchers around who do their own dressing.

BronBron

Can’t agree lamb is tasteless 😉 (funny that you chose to buy veal if you think lamb is tasteless??)

I’d love to do mutton (love my slow cooker) but we don’t really do lamb in Qld so I’ve never seen it for sale 🙁

AirgeadAirgead

I love mutton but it is hard to get (unless you are in the country). Fabulous flavour.

And you dont’ always need to slow cook it. Some cuts you can just sear quickly and eat rare (like you do for Kangaroo). I did a peppered fillet of mutton once with colcannon and an irish whiskey sauce. Boy was it good.

Cheers

Dave

purplehatpurplehat

They call it Two-tooth at our local supermarket (when they have it). I cooked it like a normal roast lamb (a little oil, salt and rosemary on top) and it was just beautiful. I’d buy it again anytime! 🙂

casalentacasalenta

Lady B post=355118 wrote: I’d love to get hold of some mutton or even hogget. Just never see it around.

What cut did you use, Casalenta and how did you cook it? (Go on, make me drool) 🙂

Maybe if you ask the butcher for it they might be able to get it in for you?

For my first one I used meaty chops and cut the meat off the bone and cubed it. I followed this recipe http://www.sheepdrove.com/434.htm, except that I did it in the slow cooker instead of the slow oven and left it in all day.

For Sunday lunch I slow roasted a leg of mutton. I made slits in the joint and inserted sections of garlic clove and then poured over the juice of a couple of lemons, plus olive oil, pepper and turmeric. I covered the roast and pan with foil for the first 20 minutes at 180 degrees and then turned the temp down to 110 degrees and took the foil off for another 5 1/2 hours (my oven is fan forced – the recipe said 120 degrees). I basted it about every 1/2 hour and used the juice of another lemon and later added a little water. When done I let it rest for 1/2 an hour before carving. It was beautiful and very tender and moist, and my visitors said they’re going to order mutton next time. They all loved it.

PS. I did get the recipe off the Internet and wrote it down in my book. Can’t find the link now, but will post if I find it.

casalentacasalenta

Bron post=355120 wrote: Can’t agree lamb is tasteless 😉 (funny that you chose to buy veal if you think lamb is tasteless??)

(

I haven’t tasted veal for years so I just bought a few cuts to see what they taste like. I guess veal is to beef as lamb is to mutton though.

casalentacasalenta

Airgead post=355135 wrote:

And you dont’ always need to slow cook it. Some cuts you can just sear quickly and eat rare (like you do for Kangaroo). I did a peppered fillet of mutton once with colcannon and an irish whiskey sauce. Boy was it good.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the tip. I’ll try that. And thanks for introducing me to colcannon too. Must try that.

harooneyharooney

Last week I bought a boneless leg of hog get for just $4.99kg. I grabbed a few of them and one for my Mum. It was from The Meat Market, South Rd, Edwardstown, SA. They have had hogged sides and wholes before but not all the time. I’m looking forward to making something tasty. 🙂

roundthebendroundthebend

Gotts sgree that mutton has more flavourhttps://secureservercdn.net/198.71.233.195/167.b41.myftpupload.com/media/kunena/emoticons/smile.png

We do our own home kill and put lambs in the freezer last month but put the rest of them back out into the paddock to grow on to develop more taste.

If you like hogget( 2 tooth ) and mutton you are more likely to see it on the market over the next couple of months as farmers cull out excess mouths to feed over the winter months.

RobyneRobyne

Hubbywill be down around Edwardstown tomoorrow will send him in to see if he can get us some hogget

Love it slow cooked. So tasty.

can’t buy it down here Not trendy enough.

The super markets tend to cater for the holdiay makers only

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.