Aussies Living Simply

the increasing hardship of the less fortunate – CO2 forces expensive power cost

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Global warming and climate change the increasing hardship of the less fortunate – CO2 forces expensive power cost

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

mine skyrocketed and I had no idea why, for over a year, then my fridge spat the dummy big time, turns out it was the fridge all along, I replaced the fridge, power bill went down considerably, if she has a fridge over 10yrs old, she needs to look at replacing it

does not matter how well she thinks it is running, it could be her fridge

AirgeadAirgead

Yep. Very true. A faulty appliance can be a real killer. Fridges are the worst for that. A faulty seal can triple the power consumption of a fridge. A dodgy compressor or a coolant leak can push the consumption sky high.

A cheap power meter from the local electronic gizmo shop can be very enlightening.

May not even require a new fridge. If its a seal then a new seal kit will do (can install yourself). Compressors though = new fridge.

Easy way to check the seal – open the fridge door. Wait 20 seconds. Close the fridge door. Wait 1 minute. Open the fridge door. if it opens easily your seals are not as good as they should be. If it requires a bit of force to pull the door open then your seals are good. The warm air that went in when the door was opened will cool down and contract which causes a pressure drop inside the fridge – a partial vacuum. If your seals are good the lower internal pressure will make the door hard to open. If the seals are bad, the pressures will equalize through the faulty seal and the door will be easy to open. I love physics.

Cheers

Dave

BullseyeBullseye

Bullseye post=355976 wrote: The entire subject of this thread “the increasing hardship of teh less fortunate – CO@ forces expensive power cost” is bollocks.

Tony Abbott tried this line of nonsense in parliament… He was caught out very publicly too.

Opposition Leader Tony Abbott began question time on Wednesday waving a bill from Hetty Verolme, a pensioner in Perth, who told him she “nearly had a heart attack” on receiving the $1564 bill. “With an $800 increase in just one bill, of which 70 per cent is due to the carbon tax, how can the prime minister possibly say that Hetty Verolme’s compensation is in any way adequate?”

http://www.news.com.au/money/cost-of-living/tactics-turn-on-electricity-bills/story-fnagkbpv-1226493348601

Same story different source if you prefer ABC

It had more than doubled since her previous bill to $1,563 for the months of June and July, and Mr Abbott wanted to know what advice Julia Gillard had for the Perth pensioner.

He followed up with a supplementary question: “With an $800 increase in just one bill of which 70 per cent is due to the carbon tax, how can the Prime Minister possibly claim that Hetty Verolme’s compensation is in any way adequate?”

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-10-10/abbott-caught-out-on-use-of-pensioner27s-power-bill/4305908

As it turns out, regarding the huge bill shock, that was fictitiously attributed to the carbon tax was as it shows…

“It shows that Hetty’s consumption for this bill was about twice what it was for the previous bill.”

There is a copy of the bill at this URL. “Abbott’s problems go far beyond misogyny”

Read more: http://www.businessspectator.com.au/article/2012/10/12/policy-politics/abbott%E2%80%99s-problems-go-far-beyond-misogyny#ixzz2TtySIUMy

Interesting how an aspiring prime minister might think the Australian public could be that daft to not pick this up! Or is this man that daft that he can’t understand an electricity bill?

freakypetfreakypet

Airgead post=355989 wrote: Yep. Very true. A faulty appliance can be a real killer. Fridges are the worst for that. A faulty seal can triple the power consumption of a fridge. A dodgy compressor or a coolant leak can push the consumption sky high.

A cheap power meter from the local electronic gizmo shop can be very enlightening.

May not even require a new fridge. If its a seal then a new seal kit will do (can install yourself). Compressors though = new fridge.

Easy way to check the seal – open the fridge door. Wait 20 seconds. Close the fridge door. Wait 1 minute. Open the fridge door. if it opens easily your seals are not as good as they should be. If it requires a bit of force to pull the door open then your seals are good. The warm air that went in when the door was opened will cool down and contract which causes a pressure drop inside the fridge – a partial vacuum. If your seals are good the lower internal pressure will make the door hard to open. If the seals are bad, the pressures will equalize through the faulty seal and the door will be easy to open. I love physics.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for that Dave – one less thing for us to check.

I have no idea either way, but all i know is that in my previous houses, my powerbill was about $175 a quarter – $400 tops. Since living here, it started at $590 and three years later, our latest bill was $1500+ – we haven’t done anything different, everything the same (no heating or cooling by the way). Apparently, we use about $20 a day. If I turn any more off, I may as well be living in my outback shack I dream about. We know that this house is a power drain, but other than moving (which is hard with powerbills like that eating our cash every quarter) I don’t know what else we can do except swallow it and continue to work through it

Anonymous

so all those people out there doing with less and less power(if they are lucky enough in this lucky country, full of i’m alright jack’s, to actually have a roof over their heads)are all bollocks, all in the imagination of those who get the chance to say how hard it is, all their meters and appliances are faulty?

if their appliances are faulty or below par on efficiency then if they have trouble paying for over artificially inflated power, then how can they buy more efficient fridges/freezers.

one thine in this lucky country is the inhumainty to man sector, the at any cost, fix it club.

like i said we would like to have some solar and wind but there is no spare money, to buy something that is being sold by profiteers(should call them buckaneers). so once pwoer gets too expensive we will have to go without, we won’t be alone.

anyhow have a good one

len

SnagsSnags

Homless people dont have power bill problems though Len :whistle:

I paid back my solar over 2 years in instalments,it wasnt that much more expensive than just paying the power bill once you included the money saved on power.

With solar HW we just started putting money aside until we got there and put aside the extra money saved from the Solar Power.

Did a bit of budgetting.

The savings more than make up for the short term hardship.

And the extra money in our pockets now because of it is nice.

The major problem is living hand to mouth and breaking that cycle, so you have some wriggle room and you dont have to be “poor” to be caught in the trap, but it makes it harder to cut out the luxuries when you dont have many.

Im on heaps less money than I have ever been in my life but I feel way richer than ever before.

Our greatest ability to save is not shopping.

Start emptying the pantries/garden and get creative at meal time.

Problem is you needed to save to fill the pantries but one packet or can at a time and you can get there.

Its so easy to just blame Carbon Taxes or governments for your cost of living pressures and chase your tail and disappear up your own arse.

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

I’d like to see all those people complaining about the cost of their power bills post their actual USAGE – not just the dollar amount at the end of it.

Do some comparisons. What was your actual usage 2 years ago, 5 years ago? What is it now? Then look at the cost per kilowatt hour and your daily supply charge.

Are you on a ‘contract’ with your power company or just the standing offer? Have you contacted your power company and discussed your options?

It’s all too easy to sit on our proverbials and whinge about how hard/expensive/cruel life is, but unless we get off those proverbials and exhaust all avenues to improve our lot then we really only have ourselves to blame.

gardenlen post=356018 wrote:

like i said we would like to have some solar and wind but there is no spare money

Len, if you gave up the internet there’d be a little bit of spare money that you could put aside for a solar unit. :whistle:

By the way, I’ve edited the title to get rid of the @ symbol so that it makes more sense.

AirgeadAirgead

freakypet post=356014 wrote:

Thanks for that Dave – one less thing for us to check.

I have no idea either way, but all i know is that in my previous houses, my powerbill was about $175 a quarter – $400 tops. Since living here, it started at $590 and three years later, our latest bill was $1500+ – we haven’t done anything different, everything the same (no heating or cooling by the way). Apparently, we use about $20 a day. If I turn any more off, I may as well be living in my outback shack I dream about. We know that this house is a power drain, but other than moving (which is hard with powerbills like that eating our cash every quarter) I don’t know what else we can do except swallow it and continue to work through it

Ouch.

Get yourself a power audit. Plenty of companies will do it cheap. Your power company may even offer it free. Something is chewing power like crazy but without seeing your place I can’t tell what.

Just on the off chance… is your new place a newer one that has lots of those little halogen downlights in it? Those are a real killer.

The other usual culprits are electric hot water systems (instantaneous or storage but hooked up to on peak rather than off), heating/cooling in a badly insulated house, faulty fridges/freezers, old second fridges in the garage and to some extent, standby power on older appliances (newer ones use much less in standby).

Cheers

Dave

Edit – unlikely but the other option is an actual fault in your electrical system that is leaking power. Some sort of leakage to earth. If that’s the case then it needs to be fixed real quick because that’s how fires start.

lavmanlavman

A few years ago our power bill skyrocketed to well over twice as much as we had been paying, I didn’t know about any of these gadgets that measure each appliance (maybe they didn’t have them then ) :whistle:

I decided that the only way to find out what was using all the extra power, was to switch off everything, then with one of us standing at the meter box and the other in the house (about 20 meters away)real hill billy style yelling instructions through the window, one would turn on each item while the other watched the meter spin, anything with a heating element i.e. jug, toaster, iron etc. would spin the meter at a fair pace while other things such as the electric fence energizer and the radio would hardly move it.

One thing I did find interesting was the florescent tubes, I was told a long time ago by an electrician that it’s better to leave them on rather than turning them off when you go out of a room because they use a lot of power starting and warming up and it’s cheaper to leave them on, FALSE, according to our meter spinning test, while they don’t use a lot of power, they are still using power while they are on and the meter only sped up for a couple of seconds while starting.

Anyway a long story short, we found the culprit and it was an older fridge that was sending the meter crazy, we were lucky in that we didn’t really need that fridge as we were only using it for drinks but there were no obvious signs that it was faulty.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

lavman post=356039 wrote: A few years ago our power bill skyrocketed to well over twice as much as we had been paying, I didn’t know about any of these gadgets that measure each appliance (maybe they didn’t have them then ) :whistle:

I decided that the only way to find out what was using all the extra power, was to switch off everything, then with one of us standing at the meter box and the other in the house (about 20 meters away)real hill billy style yelling instructions through the window, one would turn on each item while the other watched the meter spin, anything with a heating element i.e. jug, toaster, iron etc. would spin the meter at a fair pace while other things such as the electric fence energizer and the radio would hardly move it.

One thing I did find interesting was the florescent tubes, I was told a long time ago by an electrician that it’s better to leave them on rather than turning them off when you go out of a room because they use a lot of power starting and warming up and it’s cheaper to leave them on, FALSE, according to our meter spinning test, while they don’t use a lot of power, they are still using power while they are on and the meter only sped up for a couple of seconds while starting.

Anyway a long story short, we found the culprit and it was an older fridge that was sending the meter crazy, we were lucky in that we didn’t really need that fridge as we were only using it for drinks but there were no obvious signs that it was faulty.

same here, – my fridge was giving out all the right signals each time I checked, – only when it died and I replaced it that I found out it was the culprit – and how bad it had been

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

gardenlen post=356018 wrote: so all those people out there doing with less and less power(if they are lucky enough in this lucky country, full of i’m alright jack’s, to actually have a roof over their heads)are all bollocks, all in the imagination of those who get the chance to say how hard it is, all their meters and appliances are faulty?

if their appliances are faulty or below par on efficiency then if they have trouble paying for over artificially inflated power, then how can they buy more efficient fridges/freezers.

len

I thought the main point of the thread was that the CO2 (I assume you mean the carbon tax?) was causing these increased electricity costs? It has been pointed out (several times) the carbon-tax is only responsible (legally) for 10% of the increase. This going-on about massive increases in the bills is therefore not attributed to the carbon-tax.

All that is happening here is that members are giving their informative feedback of alternative problems causing these excessive bills. I can say my electricity bill (and we have no gas .. except the other night when we had a curried chick-pea stew .. thing …) hasn’t increased, so why is it these ‘unfortunates’ do.

IF it was the CO2 (carbon tax) then why hasn’t everyones bills increased by a large amount? Well, obviously then, it is a localised problem.

:shrug:

WillowWillow

Lady B post=35602 wrote:

Len, if you gave up the internet …………….

Lady B, I’m shocked at your stern words to Len (regardless of the emoticons) as I find Len is the ultimate simple liver. I find him inspirational even though I totally support the carbon tax just as I support any scheme that takes from the rich to give to the poor.

Len. Don’t give up the internet.

Anonymous

g’day willow,

thank you for your kindness and sensativety to humanity, i won’t be giving up teh ‘net just yet it is my only vice, and after all if i did all those who would miss my words of wisdom and i would miss your words of wisdom willow.

yes we can all have our opnions and make them known that is a basic right seemingly at times under lots of negative pressure.

someone points out seeemingly uncharitably that the homeless don’t have bills, most are homeless because they can’t pay basic bills, like rent, power & water. someone else says they would like to see power usage evidence, most people aare creatures of habit and in the case i mentione(a friend) she has moved into a small unit and state her case, but still no compassion for her and very many others

a bit concering when the feeling of humanity thins out, singularity seems to rule.

yes andre i do mean the hardships the CO2 tax is adding to, so not just power, water food as well and now as they drive our dollar down to suit export farming fuel will rise at it to is at an artificial level too high. can only imagine what teh coming winter means to the homeless.

God bless i have much to share yet, lots of saddness and sorrow in the world ever increasing. we follow moral and ethical ethics.

len

XioXio

I’m with you Willow & keep the posts coming Len.

Seems to me that there’s a certain lack of empathy from some quarters on this forum,

which surprises me.

In NSW most electricity bills have gone up.

One reason has been the lack of maintenance & no investment in infrastructure under the ‘leadership’ of the erstwise poser Bob Carr, now the sad excuse of a federal foreign minister.

Carr was too interested in creating national parks & then provided no funding to control let alone eradicate noxious and/ or feral flora & fauna & I for one who farmed on a border with a large national park saw first hand what happened.

Xio

Anonymous

thanks xio,

yes no empathy or even sympathy sad realy that there seems such a predominance, of inhumaity, no help for the less fortunate either.

yeh that minsiter apparently failed in state politics now held aloft in the federal arena, trust none in politics.

God bless

len

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 121 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.