Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

The Firearms amendment ( Ammunition Control) Bill 2012.

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up The Firearms amendment ( Ammunition Control) Bill 2012.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    roadwarriorroadwarrior

I support firearms laws in their CURRENT format. Restrictions on semi-automatic rifles was the best thing this country ever did. If you have a valid reason for owning a semi-auto then you can still get one.

I disagree with restricting ammo sales to only calibre’s that you own. If I want to shoot a mate’s 22-250, I also shouldn’t have to borrow his ammo.

But I also disagree with allowing young kids to hunt with a firearm unsupervised. I grew up with a lot of mates from school who had guns, and they were all twisted in the head. Most of them enjoyed killing animals, including natives, in the most inhumane and sick ways possible, or they thought nothing of pointing a loaded firearm at you just to intimidate. I was the only one out of them that was registered with a local rifle range and the adult supervision there gave me a deep respect for firearm safety and security. If you have a child and you want them to hunt there’s no reason why you can’t go with them.

Am I correct in reading some posts on here that think the Port Arthur massacre was some type of conspiracy??? Come on people, wake up and smell the gunpowder. There’s nothing conspired about that event; just one sick individual with access to firearms that he shouldn’t have had. Talking about it in such a manner will easily get this topic locked out.

rw

Le LoupLe Loup

Well here is one you suporters of the latest legislation never thought about.

If this legislation goes through, all gun owners that have registered their guns will have to disclose at the gun dealers what guns they have, & the address at which they keep them. This is then registered at the dealers. This means that our home address & the guns we have will then be out there. It is a ready made shopping list for criminals.

I had not thought of this myself, this came from our local member of Parliment.

Le LoupLe Loup

roadwarrior post=343907 wrote: I support firearms laws in their CURRENT format. Restrictions on semi-automatic rifles was the best thing this country ever did. If you have a valid reason for owning a semi-auto then you can still get one.

I disagree with restricting ammo sales to only calibre’s that you own. If I want to shoot a mate’s 22-250, I also shouldn’t have to borrow his ammo.

But I also disagree with allowing young kids to hunt with a firearm unsupervised. I grew up with a lot of mates from school who had guns, and they were all twisted in the head. Most of them enjoyed killing animals, including natives, in the most inhumane and sick ways possible, or they thought nothing of pointing a loaded firearm at you just to intimidate. I was the only one out of them that was registered with a local rifle range and the adult supervision there gave me a deep respect for firearm safety and security. If you have a child and you want them to hunt there’s no reason why you can’t go with them.

Am I correct in reading some posts on here that think the Port Arthur massacre was some type of conspiracy??? Come on people, wake up and smell the gunpowder. There’s nothing conspired about that event; just one sick individual with access to firearms that he shouldn’t have had. Talking about it in such a manner will easily get this topic locked out.

rw

I agree with you on this. But the thing with the Port Arthur massacre was that the gun he was using was a confiscated gun held by the police department. That is a fact, not a theory. However, that is water under the bridge, no point going back there now. But let us fight to keep that gate closed from now on, try & keep what we have & if possible, get them to throw us some crumbs, like allowing flintlock pistols for living history use.

Sincere Regards, Keith.

trandtotrandto

roadwarrior post=343907 wrote: I support firearms laws in their CURRENT format. Restrictions on semi-automatic rifles was the best thing this country ever did. If you have a valid reason for owning a semi-auto then you can still get one

My Dad, who is passed, handed in my Grandfathers M1 Carbine that he had from WWII, had gotten it from a American GI when they served together in PNG and traded it or something (the details from my Dad were a little vague, probably meaning dodgey). in the early 90’s when we travelled around Aus together, it was in kept in the back of the 4-WD. We shot a croc with it that tried to get a little too close to our canoe for my liking way up North. It was a seminal experience to actually use a weapon that my Grandfather and Father had held and used. I wish I still had it, I have nothing of my Grandfathers.

I support you not having a Gun if you don’t want one, I don’t support you wanting to restrict the right of others… that aside. If you don’t want your Child to hunt without supervision, then don’t let them. Every kid I knew with a daisy air gun shot a bird and was inevitably mortified afterwards, I think that experience alone teaches them something of real value. The ones that wern’t where possibly sociopaths and no mount of gun control law will stop their behaviour anyway. I was camping and shooting with a good friend from when I was 16, by ourselves.

I wonder what it would be like if the Police and Government actually tried to go after the villains for a change, instead of making more laws to restrict the rights of citizens, for example

which are wrecking efforts to control an epidemic of drugs and arms smuggling on the waterfront.

A federal and state police taskforce has uncovered rampant corruption involving customs and quarantine officials, port workers and organised criminals, which allows contraband to flow unchecked through the ports.

A top-secret report by the Polaris taskforce in February has found the maritime union – which is affiliated with and a big donor to the Labor Party – is hindering police and government efforts to clean up the ports.

The security flaws identified include several gaps that have been reported to the federal government as far back as 2008 but have never been acted on

”Attempts at enforcing existing legislation are hindered by this culture and the strong union presence in this workforce. Further regulatory or legislative action is also hampered by the opposition of the Maritime Union of Australia.”

Anonymous

this control is more to do with another agenda i reckon, but not going there i don’t agree it was done for the right reasons, and P.A was a set up that got hold of the emotions of aussies, so they voted with the heart and not the head, there are more guns around in wrong hands than ever before, look at the shootings in suburbia a daily occurrence, the crim’s still get hold of all the multi’ shot guns they need, so the application of the law is a complete waste of money and time, they need to record the addresses so like hitler they know were to come and collect them off legitimate citizens.

the crim’s don’t break into legit citizens homes to get weapons they get them elsewhere, the legislation has failed to deliver, but with our knee jerk gov’ what else would one expect? you can’t even carry a pocket knife anymore.

len

Le LoupLe Loup

It seems there is another angle to this legislation, & this came to me in a letter from our local member of Parliment. Richard Torbay is conserned that this new requirement will be putting information out there that was not available before. If this legislation goes through, our name, address & the types of guns we have at that address will be recorded by the dealer.

There is now a second legislation they are trying to push through, “Permission To Purchase” will cost us $30.00, but we will have to stipulate the make & calibre of the gun we wish to purchase. This gun may not be available by the time the paperwork comes through, or you may meanwhile find a better deal on another gun. In this case you must re-apply & pay another $30.00 for another Permission To Purchase & so on & so on! Show me the common sense in that one! So they are making money out of gun owners & giving nothing back.

trandtotrandto

I thought this interesting

I don’t know anything about the group, perhaps its just because what they are saying makes sense that I agree.

Here’s a snippet (By NFA they mean the National Firearm Agreement)

In some instances, NFA resolutions replicated practices from other countries (for example,

longarm registration in Canada’s Firearms Act 1995) which have since been abandoned due to a

lack of impact on public safety and excessive administrative costs.

It seems the same with Aus in terms of “impact on public safety and administrative costs)

Evaluations have found little or no evidence to support the effectiveness of many key NFA

resolutions, particularly in terms of crime prevention and violence reduction

It would be nice of they extrapolated a little further with links to the claims.

PS I don’t own a fiearm.

Le LoupLe Loup

trandto post=344147 wrote: I thought this interesting

I don’t know anything about the group, perhaps its just because what they are saying makes sense that I agree.

Here’s a snippet (By NFA they mean the National Firearm Agreement)

In some instances, NFA resolutions replicated practices from other countries (for example,

longarm registration in Canada’s Firearms Act 1995) which have since been abandoned due to a

lack of impact on public safety and excessive administrative costs.

It seems the same with Aus in terms of “impact on public safety and administrative costs)

Evaluations have found little or no evidence to support the effectiveness of many key NFA

resolutions, particularly in terms of crime prevention and violence reduction

It would be nice of they extrapolated a little further with links to the claims.

PS I don’t own a fiearm.

Many thanks for this, it makes good reading & sense. I have posted the link on our Living History group’s forum.

Very much appreciated trandto.

Regards, Keith.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.