Aussies Living Simply

The Figs are on !

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    trandtotrandto

well, off the tree and on the plate !

or in the greek yoghurt, with some local honey 🙂

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

I honestly do not know what all the fuss is with figs :shrug:

I have tried to like them, but just find them hideously awful things … sorry, just had to share and I am sure my comment won’t change your enjoyment 🙂

SnagsSnags

Sad to hear someone cant give a fig about figs 😆

If you have a fig ripe off a tree that hasnt been watered too much they are excellent.

Buy a big juicy one in the shops and they are just ordinary.

My tree died I need to get another I love them raw dried and cooked

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Have tasted them fresh off a fairly neglected tree.. there is no way I’d pay for them :sick:

It always amuses me, the differences in taste buds.. hehe 🙂

SnagsSnags

True Im not a fan of ripe mangos can take them or leave them

Dont mind unripe ones in an Asian salad though.

earthwalkerearthwalker
    Participant

Won’t get ours ripe until mid/late march…..then we wait and see if the wine casks and rubber snakes keep the birds off so we actually get to pick some. I love ’em fresh or grilled and I must say I make a pretty mean spiced fig jam. 🙂

BelBel

I’m not a fan of them plain, but love them with some cheese, or on pizza or something like that. We’ve had some this summer, but looks like we’ll get a good second crop soon too.

bushybushy

Semi dried = sensational

trandtotrandto

Humbug post=360024 wrote: I honestly do not know what all the fuss is with figs :shrug:

Either do I but then I am not a fan of Pumpkin either :whistle: Just thought I would throw up a photo. I am not a huge fan but my partner likes them like this, wrapped in prosciutto, stuffed with blue cheese, drizzled with balsamic and in the oven.

I had thought I had killed it after I root pruned it at the drip line 2 years ago but it’s going great guns now.

I don’t mind them fresh, with greek yogurt and honey in a bowl. The honey is from a friend down the road, the yogurt from the supermarket shelf

We just planted two more varieties of fig tree in our netted orchard (along with a dwarf black mulberry and outside we planted lemon, drumstick, stevia, rosella and black mulberry. We grabbed the new ones from Dayleys nursery when they had their 25% off sale after Xmas

Geeze it’s dry here though 🙁

trandtotrandto

earthwalker post=360052 wrote: and I must say I make a pretty mean spiced fig jam. 🙂

Ohhh. sounds interesting … could I be so bold as to ask for the recipe ?

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

A colleage at work has a fig tree she doesn’t care a fig for (sorry) so she brought some to work and was mobbed by people who love them. They gave her recipes for figs with fetta, fig jam, figs and cheese, grilled figs, etc etc. I just told her to keep on growing them and bringing them in!

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

trandto post=360071 wrote:

I honestly do not know what all the fuss is with figs :shrug:

Either do I but then I am not a fan of Pumpkin either :whistle: Just thought I would throw up a photo. I am not a huge fan but my partner likes them like this, wrapped in prosciutto, stuffed with blue cheese, drizzled with balsamic and in the oven.

I had thought I had killed it after I root pruned it at the drip line 2 years ago but it’s going great guns now.

I don’t mind them fresh, with greek yogurt and honey in a bowl. The honey is from a friend down the road, the yogurt from the supermarket shelf

We just planted two more varieties of fig tree in our netted orchard (along with a dwarf black mulberry and outside we planted lemon, drumstick, stevia, rosella and black mulberry. We grabbed the new ones from Dayleys nursery when they had their 25% off sale after Xmas

Geeze it’s dry here though 🙁

HA.. I love pumpkin 🙂

It is a nice photo.. that is, if I didn’t know it were of figs 😉

earthwalkerearthwalker
    Participant

trandto post=360072 wrote:

and I must say I make a pretty mean spiced fig jam. 🙂

Ohhh. sounds interesting … could I be so bold as to ask for the recipe ?

You’re very welcome…you can adapt and muck around with the spice mixture without any problems. I got this off Simply Recipes a couple of years ago.

SPICED FIG JAM – MICROWAVE

1 1/2 cups of diced fresh figs

1/2 cup peeled, seeded, diced orange

1 1/2 cups of sugar

1 1/2 TSP grated orange peel

3 TBS lemon juice

1/4 TSP ground ginger

1/4 TSP ground cloves

1/4 TSP cinnamon

1/2 TSP butter

1 fine grind of black pepper (this is my addition and it brings out the flavours well)

2 jam jars (sterilized)

Place all ingredients in a large glass microwaveable bowl. Leave to macerate for about half an hour.

Put in microwave uncovered and cook on high for around 15 minutes. At around 8 mins it should be boiling, at this point open up and stir every few minutes. As microwaves vary, you may need to cook it for longer. You can use the old saucer method, or just check by how the jam runs off a spoon. Basically you start with about 3 cups of liquid, when it’s done you should have around 2 cups.

Pour into jars.

This is excellent served with fresh scones and cream or chucked in marinades and stir fries…quite a nice change from the regular jams. I have thought about adding a dash of chili…will experiment when my figs ripen.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.