Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

The City of Detroit has 1200 Community Gardens……..

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Community Activism and Self Nurturing Communities The City of Detroit has 1200 Community Gardens……..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    BlueWrenBlueWren

…. as well as countless yard and verge gardens………..Come ON Australia!! ….great that it is happening here in patches but growing , selling and eating local will have to become mainstream……..

http://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/its-your-body/the-good-food-cure?utm_source=sep12&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=titleDetroitGoodFoodCure

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

There is one across the road from Brisvegas and I have a look at it

everytime we visit him, they must be feeding the plants really well

as last time we were there the cherry tomatoes were the size of

tennis balls :laugh:

The sad thing about it is that the garden got trashed just before

the official opening.

There are heaps of empty overgrown blocks of land in Brisbane and

they could put some community gardens on there it would at least

get the place looking clean and green.

Anonymous

melbourne was into community gardens some decade or more ago, most of them where to do with those high rise flats with many ethnicity’s involved all working together and sharing, can’t say as how many aussie may have been involved hands on but the new aussies were.

there was a park land not playground just a flood control area just sat there and was slashed every month or so, i did think seriously about seeing if it could be used but reckon if you don’t build it like fort knox the hoon vandals would demolish it, same with fruit trees along streets they would wreck them had hard enough time getting itinerants to ask before they pinched citrus over the fence. they got no respect for themselves so others don’t count.

anyhow we’ve moved now and not that many grow much to eat. one bloke got near 2 acres of what he calls landscaped ornamental and only pocket handkerchief garden.

anyhow reckon you’d be out of luck in brissy, the community garden they have or did have did not do much to attract others into that garden or one of their own.

len

BlueWrenBlueWren

Has anyone visited Northey St farm in Brisbane?

Anonymous

yes we did once as part of the brissy council program for pensioners to get out and about. that was a fair time ago, then they had issues with their composting toilet and those there spent much time over cups of coffee deliberating the stinky situation, they are situated on flood ground near the RBWHosp’, so not sure waht happens when it floods over their toilet, flush lots of organic matter down the river.

they were using permaculture methods, but it was not what could be deemed a food supplying garden at teh time, one group had a little room here and another elsewhere.

maybe they have changed if still there? they did have a web site. hope they fixed the toilet there toilet should have been an inspiration to others.

northey street a terrible place to get to, this type of operation need better flood free location easier to get to parking is prime that near the city and hospital.

len

SnagsSnags

Great news for Detroit ,a real inspiration and a glimpse of whats to come in our future fossil fuel decent.

Detroit (Motor City) its so apt that its happening there on such a scale.

Especially considering the affordability of cheap, crap, industrial, “food” in the US.

The great leap forward into a post consumer society has better cheaper food…because we have time and not money.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I want to go and see Northey Street but never seem to get there,

brisvegas lives within a 30min walk of the place.

I remember Downey Park and Northey Street as a kid spent a lot of

time there so I know how to get there, and in the ’74 floods

I was working just up the road and it was a big mess DH helped in

the cleanup.

RobyneRobyne

Its great it is being done in poor areas, I saw a woman in Detroit on SBS once, who bought her own house for

$85,000 now its worth $10,000 if she is lucky to get that.

The white house grows food for homeless kitchens

River Cottage hsa been pushing this for years to grow in vacant blocks and unused land, its quite big over there

WazzaWazza

The UK has an estimated 250,000 allotments. The waiting time to get one is 7 to 10 years. Makes one grateful to have a backyard in which to grow food.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Really Wazza? That long! I suppose there really can’t be much urban space still available.

I was a child in the UK just after the war and we had a large back yard AND an allotment and my Dad grew veg in both.I have great memories of walking alongside him pushing his wheelbarrow loaded up with tools etc as we walked to “the allotment” and perhaps I helped him a bit too! We had chooks at home,and I think perhaps rabbits, not sure, but I can still smell the evil bucket of scraps for the chooks that my Mum cooked up in a bucket on the kitchen stove.

When I was about four I had a bad bout of pneumonia and was in a bed downstairs during the day.One day my Dad brought in some day old chicks and put them on the bed – I can see them now, running around on the covers.Thanks Dad ..and Mum! – for a great childhood that taught me to love and respect the natural world. xxx

BlueWrenBlueWren

There’s a plan afoot for our Permie Group to visit Northey St early next year – very early …we will have to leave before 4.00am!

Anonymous

wow early start hey BW? but that is when gardeners are at their best, i did hear the allotment program in england was under threat as councils reclaimed allotments for housing or other developments, but before that the allotment idea was a good thing pity our councils don’t do it, then we have too many suburban vandals, destroy gardens pinch produce, would need a fort knox type fence around it.

anyhow BW you can maybe give us an update on northey street when the time comes?

len

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

gardenlen post=348620 wrote: wow early start hey BW? but that is when gardeners are at their best, i did hear the allotment program in england was under threat as councils reclaimed allotments for housing or other developments, but before that the allotment idea was a good thing pity our councils don’t do it, then we have too many suburban vandals, destroy gardens pinch produce, would need a fort knox type fence around it.

anyhow BW you can maybe give us an update on northey street when the time comes?

len

taking over allotments for development???

so many of their houses stand empty 🙁

sometimes whole rows of streets with empty houses – sad 🙁

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.