Aussies Living Simply

Telstra got me!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    WazzaWazza

Sorry folks, this is another long Telstra rant. It doesn’t solve anything, but I’ll feel much better after venting. Feel free to close this window and move on to a more interesting topic. Another slightly annoyed Telstra customer – how boring is that?

I should have known that you can’t beat the big guys. Last month I purchased a Telstra pre-paid wireless modem to use my netbook on the Internet while travelling. I went to Telstra after considerable research showed they had the best coverage in country and outback areas. And they do! I can surf the net at good speed in all sorts of remote locations – even with a fairly marginal signal. But, here’s the rub…. Being a canny ALS member and always happy to save a few dollars, I turned off the automatic Windows and other program updates so I wasn’t paying money to Telstra for downloading big chunks of megabytes. Much better, I thought, to stop periodically at a McDonalds, public library or tourist information centre with a free, public-access wireless network and download to my heart’s content for no charge. Also, Telstra charge on the combined download and upload total, so I thought I might upload several Mb of pictures while I was at it. Ah ….. poor simple fool that I am.

The people at Telstra had thought of cheapskates like me. When you install the modem software it turns off the capability to access other wireless networks. And you can’t get around it! Thinking there must be a way to beat the Telstra software and whatever it did to my netbook, I spoke to a tech this morning who also has Telstra mobile broadband. He says the only way around it is to uninstall the software, do the free downloads, then reinstall the Telstra modem. As if I can be bothered going through that rigamarole several times a week. So, like I said at the beginning, they got me! Oh, and the nice lady at Dick Smiths didn’t tell me about this when I bought the modem.

So, how am I spending so much time on the Internet today? I’m sitting on a friend’s verandah enjoying nice rural views and watching the ducks and guinea fowl going about their pest control duties in the orchard. I can’t access her wireless network in the home, because Telstra doesn’t want me to get freebie Internet access, but I’ve got a 15 metre cable plugged into her satellite broadband modem. Isn’t that what friends are for?

(Edited for a few typos. These netbook keyboards are designed for slim, Asian female fingers – not big Aussie male hands!)

porgeyporgey

Profits first, service second. However I would consider there “restrictive access” as a form of restraint and encourage you to send an email to the Telecommunications Ombudsman and even ASIC with your issue. Worth a try. Enjoy the travelling.

bluezbanditbluezbandit

Now I have a Telstra wireless internet dongle installed on my laptop as that was my only means of access to the outside world when I am at my shack. I have absolutely NO issues accessing my wireless network once I am back home. Everything works as it should, so I don’t understand what the issue could be. I fully understand that you would want to minimise your downloads and uploads as I usually wait till I get home to install all the updates for exactly the same reason.

Deb

WazzaWazza

That’s very interesting Deb. How long have you had your dongle? I’m wondering if they’ve changed the software recently. I bought mine late December. I’m sure it’s done something to the registry, but I don’t know enough to go in there and try editing it. It simply doesn’t see any wireless networks when I tell it to search, even though they’re there. When I tell it to repair the wireless network it says “Unable to restore wireless settings. Contact your system administrator.” With the modem uninstalled it logs in to any available wireless network quite happily. It’s interesting that my tech has the same problem and you don’t. Edited to ask if you’re on pre-paid, or one of the term plans. They use a different modem, I believe.

robatclarerobatclare

Hi Wazza,

I’ve never seen this before either.

As far as I know you should be able to have the Bigpond software installed and even your dongle plugged in and use wireless networks. (Obviously you have the Bigpond software showing “disconnected” at the time.)

It seems as though you’ve looked in the right places though – I would have just checked for available wireless networks and connected.

bluezbanditbluezbandit

Wazza, I have had my dongle since they first came out two or three years ago. Mine is prepaid and I run Vista with it. I don’t know what the difference would be but I wouldn’t put it passed Telstra to have an unlevel playing field. Oh I just remembered, this dongle isn’t that old after all as I had to replace my old one 12 months ago when the usb part fell out and it became totally useless.

Deb

MetuMetu

You guys put me to shame – I don’t know what a dongle is!!! 🙁 😆

At first Wazza, I thought you were substituting it as a colloquialism. Like the dongle-thingy goes in the whozzie-whatzit! Telstra sells dongles now? You learn something new every day. 🙂

Sorry, absolutely no help with your Telstra dongle-thingy. As a layman though, maybe it has something to do with the permissions in your networking (aka: operating system software). Have you tried looking on your operating systems main website. Microsoft, for example, if you have any of their operating systems installed on your notebook. Sometimes they announce where issues have arisen when installing other software packages.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Telstra software, automatically switches off some of the Networking permissions in the operating system’s software. And to fix it, you have to manually enable those permissions again.

Just my laymans perspective. I’ve often found that going to the source of your operating system, turns up answers you wouldn’t find so easily from the other software packages you install. Because it’s in the (OS) company’s interest, to find where conflicts arise from external programs.

All the big name company’s like Telstra, Optus, etc, would be on the books with each new release to install on a Microsoft operating system. They’d want to turn up conflicts from the Telstra software, if that’s what’s causing their clients difficulty using Microsoft operating systems.

Bear in mind though, I don’t know what a dongle is – so my advice may not have anything to do with your issues. :shrug:

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Wazza. have a look at this forum http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum.cfm If you do a thread search you may find the answer, otherwise, join up and ask (if you’re not already a member)

WazzaWazza

Metu, dongle is one of those weird words invented by some pale-skinned geek in an airless, smoke-filled basement to refer to a broadband wireless adapter. Looks like a USB flash drive, but a bit bigger. For some, the word has other connotations. When I use it my GF asks “are you playing with your dongle again?” and cracks up with laughter. I have an idea that she’s not refering to the wireless adapter. Have posted my problem on a Whirpool forum, so will see what comes back.

MetuMetu

Okay, so it’s like a wireless modem – but being an adapter, you should also be able to plug into a connection elsewhere?

Just a thought. I had a problem with my telstra ADSL modem, and what it turned out to be was a conflict with my security software. It wasn’t allowing bigpond to connect to the internet. But it wasn’t as simple as that to find the answer.

I did a search with my security software company website, and discovered it was an issue only when I used Firefox as my web browser. So I did a search on the Firefox website, where they acknowledged the conflict and was working on an update to rectify it.

What kind of webrowser are you using – FireFox, Windows Explorer, or some other browser?

It could be a combination of your security software and browser conflicting, as the modem attempts to connect to the internet.

bluezbanditbluezbandit

I always use Firefox personally and have never had a problem. I don’t use my dongle much anymore as I have a really good deal with internet tethering through my iphone, where the internet comes thru via bluetooth or a usb attached from phone to computer.

Deb

daviesgangdaviesgang

Ahh Metu…I am so glad i am not the only one who didn’t know what a Dongle was then. My story is rather more embarrassing though. About a month ago my husband says “Can you go into Morley and park behind The Cheesecake Shop and duck in a get me this? and hands me the bit of paper” Without looking at the paper I hop in the car and go and park where I was told and then as I about to get out of the car I figure I should have a look at what I need to get so I know what shop I need to go into. My husband wanted batteries (of various sizes) and a wireless dongle……now without thinking I have rung my husband and given him a right dressing down about sending me out to buy him some perverted sex toy thingy he wants:@. My rant petered out though when I heard hysterical laughter on the other end of the phone:shrug: when I ask what is so funny I am informed I need to go to Dick Smith to get the dongle and he explained what it was.:shy::shy: I still haven’t lived it down and now everytime we drive past that Dick Smith store my hubby asks if we need to drop in and buy anything perverted:p:p.

Sorry I can’t help you out with your Telstra problem wazza but I hope you at least got a giggle out of my dongle disaster.:wave:

MetuMetu

That’s hysterical daviesgang. 😆 Your husband has a sense of humour I see. Very funny.

bluezbanditbluezbandit

Loved your story daviesgang!

Deb

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

So, have you fixed the problem yet, Wazza?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.