Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Tell Us Your Story….

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING This Simple Life Tell Us Your Story….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    ChezzaChezza
    Participant

If there is anyone amoungst us who just walked away from their old life??…. Has anyone here just walked out of their job and decided it was the last day of “working for the man”, never to return??? Even though they had a few years of working life left in them and only ever dreamed about doing it… but then did it for real…..

Just thought you might like to tell us your story…… Please…. 😀

roundthebendroundthebend

Several times:lol:………………..but not before i lined up another job! But oh the satisfaction of calmly telling someone what an animal they are to work for, even if my next job was only packing shelves at the stupid market. This was long before the days of discrimmination and workplace harrassment, at least these days you can warn off the workplace bullies with warnings of ” if you keep harrassing me i will report you”;)

Talk to us Chezza, whats this all about, maybe we can help:hug:

ChezzaChezza
    Participant

I’m guess I’m wanting to hear from people who have just walked away from the 2 cars, mortgage etc to just live the dream…. Kind of before they were ready too… Just made up their mind and did it… And survived…. :tup:

chriskchrisk

Chezza, we have not done it yet but are about to. On June 2nd we will be both leaving very well paid jobs to go back to OZ and set up a new life on 40 acres. Lots of work to do. We have lots of experience at this lifestyle as both grew up living a simple life. It is quite scary though all the same, however the drive to get away and not have to answer to “the man” is pushing us along, and we figure if push comes to shove I can always get work again for a short time to get over any unforseen humps. The most precious thing is that we have faith in ourselves and each other and have decided not being successful is really not an option. Like you I would love to hear others stories.

marigoldmarigold

If it’s before you are ready to, I guess you won’t survive.

For me the push was my mothers death. Suddenly I was a member of my families OLD section. It came as a terrible shock!

I took a look at what I was doing and decided that I couldn’t keep putting off ’til tomorrow what I wanted to do today.

(You know, loll about, read stuff, potter in the garden, sleep in etc 😆 )

We hit a financial adviser, decided we could cope with a tree change and retired to the country;)

Of course retiring – even early – is not the same as trying to do it all, i.e. work, bring up kids and do the self-sufficiency thing as well. It was still hard to walk away from a regular pay packet though.

If you are trying to decide whether to plunge off into the unknown, how about doing it in stages. Move to a bigger place not too far away so you can better gauge if you really do enjoy it , rent if you own your home and let it out to begin with so as to leave yourself an escape hatch.

Actually, here’s me doling out advice when I have no idea of your circumstances:D I ought to have one of those ‘small print’ thingies to state that ‘this advice may not suit your circumstances’:lol:

For me, it was Intimations of Mortality that got me here. I suspect everyones motivations are unique to them;)

ManniiMannii

We sea-changed 2.5 years ago. I had a well paid corporate job in Sydney and we had just put our house on the market with the plans of moving to northern NSW with the money from the house to set up our own business.

There was a restructure at work and I left with a 10 year retrenchment payout 🙁 which meant we didn’t have to wait for the house to sell (luckily as it took another year) but we wanted to be settled in our new area before my older son started kindie.

We used the payout money to move, buy a business and now we have just bought our own block of land and intend to build with a much smaller mortgage than we had down south. We peeled back the layers of consumerism and live much more simply. I can even go and help at my son’s school, something I couldn’t have done back in Sydney.

Manni :tongue:

chriskchrisk

I guess in some ways it is a bit like having babies. If we waited till everything was perfect the birthrate would probably be quite low. Somehow when a new babe comes into the family we all manage by moving a bit here, changing a bit there, borrowing a bit from this to give to that and accepting some help when needed, for the most part it all falls into place, with love and desire being the keel that steadies the ship.

Yes Marigold, intimations of mortality is the perfect motivator, I fear too many folk do not listen to that inner voice though and likely miss out on the journey to their dream life.

MetuMetu

Chezza, you’ve perfectly described our mind frame over the past few weeks! DH works in the hospitality industry, so has very unforgiving family UNfriendly hours. When he’s not working 50 plus hours a week, he’s slogging his guts out on our 5 acres, trying to live the dream, LOL.

Okay so we’ve been thinking about taking the plunge – selling up and starting somewhere small, affordable and preferrable debt free. Each time we went through the equations though (because coming here was our initial sea change, LOL) we realised not a lot would change if we hadn’t.

We were formerly in a position of having a very small mortgage in suburbia, but we kept spending money until we were in more debt. Actually being here without the extra income, has actually taught us that perhaps money was substituting for not liking ourselves very much. Changing the backdrop right now without having learned the changed behaviours fully – well, we’d eventually end up in the same boat only somewhere else at a later date.

I have health issues and my husband being home more of the time would be like a dream come true. BUT having said that, doesn’t it just make me more reliant on him to provide me with security? Having the 5 acres was meant to take the pressure off – but it didn’t – it only intensified. Why? Because we had to learn something about ourselves which we lacked.

We weren’t taking responsibility for what was in-front of us today. It was easier to look away from what we had and idealise another situation we weren’t tied to yet.

I can say that having had a sea change experience though. Well, what we thought was a see change. Turns out we just had more of the same in a different package. 😆

This personal testimony is by no means a blueprint for everyone. It’s taken us a while to reach here, after chasing many dreams. Living the dream when you’re in it though *is* the hardest part.

TheRobinsonsTheRobinsons

We have walked away from it all somewhat. We bought 100 acres with the intention of renovating and making a huge profit to fund our expensive lives. DH worked in finance and made great money working for a p**ck.

When we moved here, we really fell in love with the country and decided to live as close to self sufficiency as we can. It has been a gradual process because we did the big reno on the house first. But DH left his position after yet another falling out with the company and their ethics. We now live off our property (we sell bushrock) and DH does some occaisional renovation work for the coal mines in central QLD when we need some extra income.

We don’t completely live the simple life, in that we still have a huge mortgage to live here – but my husband gets to work here, and I am here with our 3 little kids, the cows, sheep, chickens and our new milking cow arriving next week 😀 The vegies are growing and my gumboots are covered in mud and we love it. We don’t miss city life, or the latte’s one bit!

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

We didn’t really choose to be here but this is where we ended up.

Bare bones of the story….

We were living in Pine Rivers (north of Brisbane) were paying off a house, one income and 2 teenagers, DH was working long hours (unpaid overtime) when his health started to get bad so he had to leave work and we were struggling on sickness benefit the interest rates were sky high (late 80’s) we couldn’t keep up with the house payments(struggled for 3yrs) so decided before the bank took the house we would sell, we were about to contact a local agent when one knocked on the door asking if we were considering selling (spooky) anyway we said yes and we decided on the price we needed to get, the agent came the next morning took photos and we did some paper work with him he agreed that we had priced the place right …. this is where everything went crazy…. agent came the next morning to show the place then the next morning we were told the house had sold:jawdrop: he didn’t even get the photos developed:lol: we got the price we wanted and it was what the market value was this all happened so quick, we thought we would have a bit of time to go and look for another place.

We had to get a car go looking and find another place, we would send the kids to school in the morning and we would get in the car and go we knew how much we had to spend and Nanango was the only place within a few hours of Brisbane that we could afford, so if we had to make a rush trip back to family it was possible.

That was 18yrs ago DH’s health has not improved and we are really feeling the weather now and we would love to be somewhere that we could be happy and live out our days in peace.

That is the bones of our story we had heaps of other stuff happen to complicate things.

marzmarz

Similar to Jude’s story. We also lived in Pine Rivers, for 12 years and often talked about ‘when we move to the country’. I’d surf the net and find nice ‘suitable’ places but there were areas where DH didn’t want to live and some I didn’t like.

My 2008 New Year Resolution was that we would do what we had been talking about for years – find a little place in the country and be as self-sufficient as we could. DH was worried about work – not me, I knew it would all work out.:D

Soooo, we went trekking out on weekends looking at places, but nothing clicked (one did but it was waaay to dear). Then we came to Kingaroy to see 4 places – nup no way, too much work to do, no garden, no sheds etc etc. Then the agent asked if there was anything else we wanted to look at – I said yeh one more but it’s a long way out of town, Nah 20 minutes (actually 30) he said.

As soon as we drove in I had a good feeling and after seeing all the sheds, chook pen, orchard, veggie garden and covered back patio with brick bbq I fell in love with it. I looked at DH and he had a big grin on his face too. The house wasn’t important, we had a big 2 storey house on a little block and I hate housework – so the little lowset 3 brm was great. Needs a lick of paint, but that will come.

So off we went back to the agents to sign the contract. When we eventually got back home I said Did we really do that? Sh_t now we have to sell this one!

We set to re-tiling the kitchen floor, coat of paint in the downstairs bathroom, fortunate I’d done the family room just before Xmas.

The house sold in a week close to the price we wanted – and we had 3 weeks to pack and go.

I believe it was all meant to happen for some reason or another – everything fell into place.

We are now the proud owners of a 40 acre ex-flower farm with everything we need except a decent tractor. And I’ve been back to Bris once since we left 12 months ago.

I JUST LOVE IT HERE!!

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

Hi all .. yay.. a chance to rant …

My intention is to go all out for a tree-change (I say ‘tree’ as being in the Navy .. I am over the ‘sea’ bit), but, as was said earlier, if I haven’t planned for it properly, then it will probably fail.

As with most, we have debt to get rid of first. And we’d like to have a semblance of a life during that time. Recent negotiations and advice from our financial advisors gives us a 5 year plan to work on.

This is longer than what I would like, but in the long run, it will be far more successful.

All I can do is hope that PO & CC hasn’t kicked in too drastically before then.

I won’t be sitting on my hands though, and anything I can do during this period is that much less for me to do once the ‘big bucks’ stop. Get the house plans drawn and approved etc. wold be a good start.

In a nutshell, I have 60 acres in Clunes to play with. Like most here I guess, I want to be as self-sufficient as possible. I know we say it (self-sufficient) without a second thought most of the time, but my intention is to grow everything myself, and if it won’t/can’t grow then find a substitute. if that fails and I can’t do without, only then will I look at purchasing it.

Part of the plan is to utilise my Permie Design certificate, but the other big part was -for me- to go vegetarian. I love eating meat, but I know my limits; I know i will not kill an animal with my own hands just for a meal (when the veggies can supply exactly the same thing), and getting someone else to do it isn’t being self-sufficient. And yes, I could barter with someone to do the killing/butchering for me, but then I will still be responsible for an unnecessary death just for my appetite…mind you .. (I will also establish dams for fish)

An not being totally naive – I know that unless I choose to live in a cave/mud hut and cut myself off from the world – there will always be some requirement for assistance/input from others at times.

Thanx for ‘listening’

BobbeeBobbee

Hey Andre ‘input and assistance’ from others is all part of the self-sufficient way of life, in my mind anyway. Networking and building ‘community’ and then sharing knowledge, fun and recreation, tools, muscle etc and helping and caring and supporting each other is the way I believe the world needs to go.

That community can be wide like ALS and small, like neighbours and others of like mind near and not so near.

You will still have to kill your fish so maybe you will be able to barter/swap fish for meat or whatever for whatever.

I love the way you are preparing sensibly for the future and that you are generously sharing your journey with us. I lurve that house of yours also AND that you recognize the need to ‘live’ now while preparing for your dream.

:hug::hug::hug:

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

Thanx Bobbee

I appreciate your comments.

Still ‘modifying’ the house plans ‘as we speak’.

BUT, all this is digressing from Chezza’s original request. Could it be that those that have simply walked away, are no longer able to or inclined to get on the internet anymore?

:shrug:

well I walked away. I had a dream many years ago of having a life where I had paid off the mortgage, had a little land, some animals, and the tools to do what I wanted to do. Somewhere along the line that got lost in the system. The house I had then, I would have paid off the mortgage 10 years ago, but I sold it and went to uni and started chasing a career. That career took me to various states, countries and through various stages of hell with bullying managers, narrow-minded colleagues who could not see the big picture and so on. I had concluded that I would work for 8 years in the UK before returning home with sufficient funds to set myself up for life. I lasted two years. And here I am. Sitting in my caravan, freezing my tushie off, spending my days pulling apart and rebuilding my derelict cottage or planting trees or chatting to new friends and spending time with my animals, and I am more happy than I have been in a long time. Of course the crunch will come when I run out of money and have to do some work, lol. But hopefully by then I will be in a position to do the work at least in a warm room (that Bakers Oven is being collected this Saturday even if it won’t be installed for a wee bit longer).

I wake up every morning with a smile on my face, I know what I am going to do and I can do it without interference, I can change my plans on a whim and no-one complains, and if I don’t feel like doing anything, then I can sit on the caravan steps and enjoy the view.

Doesn’t get much better than this I have to say …:tup:

But yes, you have to be happy in yourself, because doing this is not going to solve any of life’s deeper problems. Those you have to have worked out of your system before you make the change …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.