Aussies Living Simply

Tell me about your slowcookers/ crockpots

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Homecooked food (Recipe Request) Tell me about your slowcookers/ crockpots

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    baringaparkbaringapark

I often make a big macaroni cheese in mine – a big hit with the kids. I also did a savoury mince last week

Could you share recipes please? 😀

MerewynMerewyn

Hi Elizabeth,

The macaroni cheese is dead easy –

Cooked macaroni (I usually use about 250g raw)

Approx 3 cups grated cheese

1 1/2 cups milk (whole will make for a creamier recipe)

Small can of evaporated milk (or you can just add bit of extra normal milk and a bit of extra cheese to thicken it up – I usually don’t bother with the evap milk)

1 teaspoon mustard (optional)

Cooked bacon or diced ham (bacon is nicer) – about 200g or so

– Grease the inside of the slow cooker with cooking spray or melted butter

– Mix all ingredients in the slow cooker

– Cook on low 3 hours or high 1 1/2 hours

It’s not quite as nice as the one done in the oven, but my kids still gobble it all up! :tup: The outsides tend to go a little bit brown, but usually ok.

The savoury mince I made by just chucking a whole heap of stuff in so I can’t remember exactly what I put in it but it was something along these lines:

– 1kg mince

– 1 400g can tomatoes

– 1 onion, chopped

– couple of cloves of garlic (I might have used about 4 I think)

– Beef stock powder mixed with water (I think I used a couple of cups worth – enough to almost cover the mince)

– gravy mix – a few tbsp

– wocestershire sauce about 2tsp

– Sweet chilli sauce about 2tsp

– Mixed herbs about 1tsp

Brown the mince, add onion & garlic, cook for 2 minutes.

Place mince, onion & garlic in slow cooker, add tomatoes. Mix gravy mix with stock, add to slow cooker. Mix in wocestershire sauce, sweet chilli sauce & mixed herbs.

Cook on low for about 5-6 hours, or high for 3 hours.

If it’s too runny towards the end, add some extra gravy mix or cornflour (mixed with a little water) about 30mins prior to serving.

Good also as a base for a shepherd’s pie.

Hope this helps!

Linda

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

Don’t forget that they make great soups. I have done a ’24 hour’ soup in which I started with some chicken bones and water, let that brew overnight, then in the morning took the bones out, added the veggies and by nighttime I had a great soup.

If I am going out early in the morning, I get it all ready the night before and put the inner lining in the fridge, then bung it all on before I leave.

The slow cooker is great for roast chicken in the summer because the whole kitchen does not heat up the way it does when you put the oven on.

baringaparkbaringapark

TY 😀

bplumbplum

I just love my slowcooker I have a Breville Avance… Bought a cheaper one first but it cooked too rapidly and didn’t turn itself off when it reached a set time. The Breville has a timer built it and will cook on slow for the time you desire then when its finished it will turn off and stay warm for up to 5 hours.

Tracie – what model is yours? I have a Breville Avance & it cooks too quickly, and th lid doesnt seal as there are two little bumps in the ceramic bowl that hold it up. Even on low it will dry out something so i cant risk leaving it alone for the day. Its SLC70 cost around $80. i am quite disappointed with it as i used to have a 1970s crockpot which was wonderful (except for non removable bowl).

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.