Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Teia's Garden in Portugal

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE The Garden Log Teia's Garden in Portugal

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    paulaorganicpaulaorganic

I always look forward to your updates Burra Maluca. You have so many great projects on the go, and I love reading about them all. Thanks for sharing. 😀

roundthebendroundthebend

Wondefull photos BM…………….love the stone all:)

MetuMetu

I love seeing people rolicking around their gardens, making and growing things. Love the rustic shelters you’ve built. Very beautiful and perfect for a climber or two. Are you planning on growing any over them?

I’ve got a choko sprouting at the moment, which I plan to grow over one of the chook runs. Probably the wrong time of year for us with winter approaching, to plant a choko, but I may just scrape in.

The garden is looking great and I hope all the new creations add their bit to the system.

Burra MalucaBurra Maluca

Chezza – glad you like the straw bale seat! We have a matching set of them, with one under the acacia tree and two in the pergola. They should survive the summer and then when the rains come in winter they get converted to mulch!

Metu – yes we have planted a few climbers to grow up the pergola. My other half seems to have gone a bit soppy in his old age as he’s planted me two sorts of honeysuckle and a jasmine so far. We’re going to try passion fruit if my seeds hatch, and there are a few strawberry plants around the base, too.

Marigold – glad the soap turned out ok! Perlite or pummice would probably both be good for the grow bed, but unfortunately we can’t seem to find any anywhere. At the worst we can use straw bales or bricks to support the grow bed which means we should be able to use gravel, and maybe if we play with the piping system a bit we can still get it to work. We won’t give up!

Darls – I’ve been trying to figure out why I can’t get into the idea of wicking beds, and I think it comes down to the fact that what I want to be doing is learning how to build my soil rather than just grow a few veg. To me, wicking beds seem more like container gardening (a bit my other half’s growbeds in the aquaponics system), but my dream is to get my soil teeming with life and the raised beds just *feel* better to me as they are still physically part of my soil. Working with them feels like I’m concentrating my efforts on little patches of my land and I can then extend what I’m learning to the rest of the land. So far the raised beds seem to be holding moisture very well – the peas do great in them, it’s just that we didn’t have any compost that was rotted down enough so for this year it’s peas only. We aren’t actually short of water as we have the most enormous well that has never been known to run dry, it’s just that we have to devote time and energy into pumping it so if the beds hold water well enough they should be more than adequate for what we want.

Which brings me on to the update – our solar panel for pumping the water has arrived! :metal:

I had to wait in yesterday afternoon in case it turned up, and when it did I immediately phoned the boys at the farm to come and collect it. The boys then informed me that they had just caught two baby rabbits in the veg garden. They were apparently a few weeks old, being fully furred and with their eyes open, so the plan was to bring them home, raise them for a few more weeks and then have rabbit pie. We spent a while playing with the panel – it’s 80 watts, to power a 300 watt pump for around an hour a day, so we should have a bit of power left over for playing with the hydroponics set up. Then the boys presented me with a cardboard box and I opened it to discover not the young rabbits I was expecting, but two newborn hares!!!

Here they are…

There’s no way I’m having hares breeding right in the middle of the veg garden, so I’m going to attempt to hand rear them and then release them at the very bottom of the ten acre strip of land below the farm. I’ve never reared tiny babies like these before, but they seem to be getting the hang of taking milk dripped from the corner of a cloth. Today is shopping day so we’ll see if we can find some puppy rearing milk and a dropper to feed them with.

GiannaGianna

Oh my … those two are completely adorable. :kiss1: I hope they grow up nicely and stay out of the vegie patch. 😉

BobbeeBobbee

Oh they are so gorgeous.

As always I love reading your info and lookin’ at the pics BM.

:hug::hug:

ChezzaChezza
    Participant

Very, very cute…. I hope it all goes well for them and your patch…. :tup:

jaymesjaymes

ummm, why can’t you eat hares? :shrug:

TeacupTeacup

Gee things are looking interesting …love all the photos of progress, the way you “listen” to the land and your climate. I think I also understand how you feel about working with the soil, it’s very nuturing for the soul, I reckon. Kind of impossible for some of us not to have that direct contact with earth, huh.:)

HerbmanHerbman

Looks awesome! Love all the pics. You’ve done a lot of work.

HerbmanHerbman

Looks awesome! Love all the pics. You’ve done a lot of work.

Burra MalucaBurra Maluca

Jaymster wrote:

ummm, why can’t you eat hares? :shrug:

Why can’t I eat hares? ‘Cos they are getting rare. ‘Cos they’re special. ‘Cos I think they are magical. ‘Cos to me they are the symbol of everything I hold dear – they are free, wild, noble, a part of the system of nature around me, only one step away from unicorns as far as I’m concerned, and they seem like a direct link to a world I’m lucky if I ever even glimpse.

But mostly it’s ‘cos they’re babies and I’m hand rearing them… :shy:

jaymesjaymes

good enough :tup:

Burra MalucaBurra Maluca

Anyway, how could you possibly eat anything as cute as this…

I think I might adopt this as my new signature…

BobbeeBobbee

They are so beautiful BM. :hug::hug: :hug:

Love the avatar/signature thingy also. That is so great. Is it Celtic?

:metal::metal::metal:

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.