Aussies Living Simply

Tasmanian Residents – a few questions please

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Tasmanian Residents – a few questions please

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    bluezbandit

weaver post=333902 wrote: Very windy!!!!

Just a point of interest Dover has the most southern police station in the world!!!!!!! :shrug:

This is no true!!!! What about the police station at Ushuaina in the Terre del Fuego province of Argentina.

Deb

mauzi

:D: Do we have a little group thing on the left hand side so that we can access it and chat? I have no idea about these things :D:

bluezbandit

Looks like we can have a conversation in the group on the wall there, if we wanted, but mainly I thought it would be like a directory of fellow Tassie ALSers.

mauzi

OK. It is a good idea.

weaver

bluezbandit post=333991 wrote:

Very windy!!!!

Just a point of interest Dover has the most southern police station in the world!!!!!!! :shrug:

This is no true!!!! What about the police station at Ushuaina in the Terre del Fuego province of Argentina.

Deb

I was told that by a policeman stationed there :blush: :blush: :blush:

Must be the most southerly in Australia then??????????

calliecat

weather, – what is the weather actually like please, both summer and winter, when I first came here, winter got down to minus 8/9 grass temp, with mega frosts, the summers are just getting hotter –

would like an idea of the actual weather please 🙂

including the chance of snow anywhere

mauzi

Do you mean in Dover, or generally in Tas. Dover will not snow, ever, but 1/2 hr away in the Hartz Rangers there will be snow. You get light frosts down to about -3 is about the extreme, and generally about -1. No hard frosts. We were around the Glen Innes/Guyra, northern NSW area and we had hard frosts and snow so it is nothing like that. Where we are in the Central Highlands, near Ouse, we get heavier frosts, but still nothing like where we came from with -12 a regular event with a record of -18. Nothing like that either where we are or Dover. Summer in Dover is relatively cool with the occasional hot day, (think someone put a link up to the weather in Dover for you to check out). I think the good thing I have noticed is that even if you get a hot day or two, it is just that, a cool change comes in pretty quickly, so that is good news.

calliecat

not just dover, but anywhere on the eastern side or up the top –

googled Dover, – it’s only got 500 people, not sure if it would be a tad isolated for me – not sure :shrug: did google the actual road

there is only me

wherever I end up, I will be checking it out first, lol – not just packing up and going :huh:

guess I’m just doing some research for the possible future

thanks all 🙂

chareaves

calliecat post=334054 wrote: weather, – what is the weather actually like please, both summer and winter, when I first came here, winter got down to minus 8/9 grass temp, with mega frosts, the summers are just getting hotter –

would like an idea of the actual weather please 🙂

including the chance of snow anywhere

Hi calliecat

We’ve lived in Tassie for around 8 years now, most of it in the Kingston area, but now recently moved to Huon Valley. In those 8 years, there was I think one, or possibly 2 days when school was shut due to a snow day. That one day was absolutely magical mind you, and we were all gobsmacked by it, having never really seen snow, let alone snow all over everything.

People say Tassie is cold but it’s not really. The winters are cool but you adjust quickly. We came from Adelaide where they had two weeks straight of 42 degree days. Never again. Having said all that, we like rain and cool much more than heat.

I’ve never heard of Tassie weather going below 0 and that would be rare. I do know that where we used to live, the guy next door had a lot of success with heatlovers growing them in a hothouse he made. I think that’s almost the only way for them.

Does this help?

calliecat

I would only be growing things suitable to the climate, nothing gets executive/pampered treatment in my house, – except the dogs lol

I have been wanting to move to Tassie for the last 6yrs, (thankyou Peter Cundall), people tell me straight away, “oh it’s too cold for me, – but not as extreme cold/hot as here – :shrug:

and for all my questions/research etc, I could even end up in NSW :laugh:

chareaves

Well for us it was by far THE best move we ever made. No regrets at all (apart from the ridiculously high food and petrol prices and the incredibly way-overhyped-and-overpriced tourist attractions wherever you go.)

mauzi

Yes, Dover is pretty quiet, probably depends what you are looking for. I think the thing to remember that in Tassie, everywhere is relatively close “in mainland terms anyway” so it is a different mindset. I think that is one of the really great features – so much diversity within relatively easy reach.

I agree chareaves, it also was THE best move we made as well. We love it here.

It is funny that people think it is cold here. We came for the warmer weather :D: but most people will not believe us.:D:

calliecat

well nightlife is not what I’m after LOL

I live back off the road here, lovely and quite, but only a couple of minutes to town, like anywhere, you need to actually look at a place before you make your mind up

thanks again everyone, it is appreciated 🙂

man – i’ve just been all over Tassie, lol – I have no concerns about not having a house in price range, – goodness – talk about spoilt for choice :tup:

bluezbandit

Read these blogs, these people come from Dover or near by.

http://www.lintrezza.blogspot.com

http://www.bakers8.blogspot.com

calliecat

oh I used to read lintrezza, but she stopped writing for a while, then i forgot about it –

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.