Aussies Living Simply

Tasmanian Residents – a few questions please

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Tasmanian Residents – a few questions please

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    calliecat
    Participant

am looking to the future here, could happen and could not – but seeing as how I have my eye on a gorgeous house in Dover (near the south pole :jawdrop: :laugh:

it’s near the ocean, does anyone here actually live near the ocean, how do you manange with all the salt in the air, and can you still manage to grow your produce without too much trouble please,

will probably think up more questions later on, so please indulge me, if I do get there, (I really really do like that house at Dover) :laugh: – or am looking at the North/East corner – sheffield, railton etc up around there

thanking you :tup:

oh my goodness, it really is near the south pole 🙁

but am very interested in hearing how people manage near the ocean anyway – thanks 🙂

mauzi

Hi calliecat, We lived near Dover for a couple of years (Geeveston) and our particular farm was not right on the water but also not far from it either. We had no problem at all with growing things. I personally found the area a bit wet for my liking (never thought I would say that :D) but that is just me. It is a very beautiful area, I would say the drive from Huonville south to Dover would contain some of the most beautiful scenes in the world. Dover itself is pretty quiet (unless you are on a main road, like we were – actually on the road to Dover :D).

Looked at the place you are interested in with the link on your post. I can see why you are interested. Good luck with your decision.

calliecat
    Participant

when you say a bit wet, did it rain a lot ??? lol –

wont be happening tomorrow, lol, need to sell here first,

really do like that house lol, it has a mud room :cheer:

does it snow down there???, and what about winds, – and how cold would it get please ???

mauzi

ha! ha! yes, it rains a lot and where we were was heavy clay soils so when you would walk out in the orchard you would come in six inches higher 😀

Check out the soil on the place as well. There is a very mixed variety from excellent soils for growing to dolerite soils with little top soil and lots of rocks and poor nutrition. Of course soils can be fixed but it is easier if you dont have that issue. I can’t remember from the picture I saw on the internet.

I agree, we have a mud room 😀 and it is fantastic. Would not be without them, so I am with you on that one.

calliecat
    Participant
    weaver

Very windy!!!!

Just a point of interest Dover has the most southern police station in the world!!!!!!! :shrug:

bluezbandit

I am setting up at Primrose Sands which is right on the beach. I have a colorbond fence around to stop the salty winds. Perfect spot here for a wind generator ( which I haven’t got yet) but it’s not windy all the time. Today for example is the most beautiful summers day, and it would be at Dover as well.

Deb

Ps: research Dover weather here.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/tas/lower-derwent/dover

bluezbandit

I just opened a group on here for Tasmanians. Join up!

https://www.aussieslivingsimply.com.au/community/groups

calliecat
    Participant

me!!!! not there yet, might never be there ??? –

mind you, if I do everyone will know where I live wont they LOL

chareaves
    Participant

bluezbandit post=333940 wrote: I just opened a group on here for Tasmanians. Join up!

https://www.aussieslivingsimply.com.au/community/groups

Hey bluezbandit, I just joined up! I have no idea what to do now. Do I win anything?

calliecat
    Participant

yeah, what happens now???? 🙂

bluezbandit

I wish!!!! Hopefully other Tasmanians will join us soon.

mauzi

Great idea bluezbandit, I have joined as well. Not sure what happens now but sounds good.

calliecat
    Participant

and how do you know when someone has posted, apart from the email ???? please.

or is the email it 🙂

bluezbandit

Beats me ! I just thought it would be a good idea to have we Taswegians all together somewhere, like a directory. Them we can pm each other if we have anything we want to chat about. I guess.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.