Aussies Living Simply

TASMANIA

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    bluezbanditbluezbandit

I am currently in the Tamar Valley but I am preparing a house down south at Primrose Sands as where I will end up to live the down to earth life when we retire. I lived a 95 percent self sufficient life just Outside of Burnie on the north west coast for over ten years but that was about 30 odd years ago.

dj3dj3

well primrose sand is pretty close..havent been in their yet…..keen to hear more self sustainable stories..was it a community in burnie,,i heard a bit of that goes on up there…

bluezbanditbluezbandit

No each of us who lived the alternative lifestyle round Burnie in the old days had stone houses built on 5 acre blocks mainly. Each independent of each other but co-operative as well. We used to get together for bartering days and jam sessions and run a food co-op as well as look after ech others kids. Lived this life for many years till University called and I had to move on. But eventually I will be back to a modest semblance of my former life.

All the best to you and your family

Deb

Hippy ChickHippy Chick

Another Tasmanian here 🙂

bluezbanditbluezbandit

Hi Hippy Chick where are you?

SonyaSonya

We want to move to Tassie one day – personally I blame the TV shows Passionate Apprentices and Gourmet Farmer!

nessienoonessienoo

My husband and I are starting to prepare for a move to Tassie in a year or so.

His work is shutting down and he’ll get a redundancy. One of his past workmates moved 2 years ago and we just visited them on our last trip (got back yesterday. :laugh: )

We’ve been thinking about it for a few years and will be looking in the vicinity of Launceston (we think).

I can’t wait! I love Tassie, it’s climate and lifestyle. Brisbane is just getting too big and busy. :ohmy:

bluezbanditbluezbandit

I hope you will love it down here. I live 20 north of Launnie in the Tamar Valley. It is magic here.

Deb

Good LiferGood Lifer

Just feel I should wave the flag for Tea Tree, near Richmond in Tasmania. Love my valley (even though it is a bit dry and windy at times). So nice to hear all the lovely comments about Tasmania, and to hear from folk who share a love of the Tasmanian seasons. Winter is one of my favourits times of year!

JessiebeanJessiebean

oh yes having seasons is the best- I like all of them!Launceston and surrounds(and probably all of Tassie in reality) changes with each season to become a different kind of abundantly beautful

We are heading over to Tassie in February for a weeks holiday. We have been looking at properties about an hour or two out of Hobart. But would be greatful of any suggested areas, as this will be the first time we have been over to Tasmania.

bluezbanditbluezbandit

what kind of things are you wanting to grow, raise etc as certain areas a better for things that others, eg there are orchard places (huon, tamar valleys), grapes (tamar valley places, soft fruit areas, sheep raising (midlands) areas. But if you want a bit of all of it, then anywhere except the west coast is good. Its drier down the east coast. Huon Valley is excellent but expensive. A good majority of out state is within 2 hrs drive from Hobart. I am sure you fall in love with it here and find the place of your dreams.

Deb

Tassie TigerTassie Tiger

Have to put my oar in the water and mention a place called “paradise peninsula” 35 minutes south of Hobart on the eastern side of the Derwent River. Sandford is a pretty but some times dry place. For those interested in properties I know where there are two for sale down this way.:) Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks Guys,

for our holiday we will be staying 3 days in Hobart and 2 days in Swansea. (intending on going back for another week at a later date)

Intension is to spend a day touring down around Huonville, Port Huon and Geeveston. Would it be worth going out to Bruny island? and perhaps out Hamilton way.

Any suggestions on sites worth considering are greatly appreciated.

Thanks Tassie, shall have a look on the map and scope out the area.

Tassie TigerTassie Tiger

We will be away for 3 weeks starting Feb 1 so if you are coming before then let me know and we can arrange something perhaps re having a look at the properties. One of them is sort of on the market but the owners are in no hurry to sell and would be happy for a very extended settlement period.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.