Aussies Living Simply

TASMANIA

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    dj3dj3

hey we are with 3 young kids and just moved to tassie from central queensland..looking for land to staart the dream of true self sustainability well as true as in our own sense…and looking to meet people already doing it or want to do it in tasmania..very open and accepting ppl…want to bounce ideas ad get as much knowledge b4 we plunge into land purchase….and aslo want to be close to other minded ppl..cheers….cant wait to meet u

sue esue e

hi,dj+3.we are hoping to move to tassie in a year or two. it is a wonderful place for a simple life. you will meet lots of friendly, helpful people here. there are quite a few from tassie as well!where are you based at the moment?

JessiebeanJessiebean

We moved down from SE Qld two years ago. I have become much more eco friendly and community sprited since the move! Tassie does that to you. We are more self sufficient than your average folk (not compared to most on here)…we are working on it- we have chooks, a wild weedy vegie garden (the garden was neglected here for many many years before we arrived) have just planted apples and hazelnuts, have a stick in a pot which is suposed to be a lemon tree etc…

whereabouts are you?

sue esue e

Hey Jessiebean, i didn’t realize that you came from SEQ. How have you found the adjustment? have you found it too cold, as everyone I speak to up here tells me it will be? Our move is getting closer and closer. kinda excitedly terrified!!!!There are a lot of Qlder’s moving down there. As they say “quieter. cooler, greener”.

our lemon tree lost its leaves in its pot, because, even though i was watering it, the mix had dried out and wasn’t taking up the water. it was dry as a bone underneath.

lostinthefoglostinthefog

We are in the midst of moving to Tassie from FNQ-husband is already there as he found a job prior to our lease running out-I’m stuck here until January:( , my OH is a Tasmanian so we know what to expect weather wise-I lived there for about 15 years then we moved back up here (where I grew up), we are over north Qld now-too hot, too expensive and getting too frenetic for us. And I miss growing all the yummy cold climate veges-hubby has started our new veggie garden in Tassie(the job comes with a house, he is working as a gardener on one of those glorious old Tasmanian colonial properties-I can’t wait to go!) Tassie has it’s faults and it’s not for everyone-I just hope it never becomes too over popular!

Tassie TigerTassie Tiger

Hello all you Qlders. I didn’t realise there were so many of you down here:huh:

I suspose we can cope with that. Happy to share information about my wonderful state and simple living. It’s a journey not a destination and I am learning as I go so happy to help where I can:)

JessiebeanJessiebean

sue e post=297425 wrote: Hey Jessiebean, i didn’t realize that you came from SEQ. How have you found the adjustment? have you found it too cold, as everyone I speak to up here tells me it will be? Our move is getting closer and closer. kinda excitedly terrified!!!!There are a lot of Qlder’s moving down there. As they say “quieter. cooler, greener”.

our lemon tree lost its leaves in its pot, because, even though i was watering it, the mix had dried out and wasn’t taking up the water. it was dry as a bone underneath.

There are heaps of Qlder’s down here, I sometimes meet up with ladies from another forum and they are all ex Qlders.

My husband lived in NZ for the first 15 years of his life and I in Canberra for the first 22 years so the heat and humidity of Qld was always too much (I find it hard to believe that anyone really likes it!). Having said that though, our first week in Launceston had us without a fridge in 43 degree weather! At least it is a dry heat though.

Winter this year was cold,very cold ver a little while but we have one wood burner and a 113 year old house in relatively poor disrepair (draughty)but it does have roof insulation. We don’t use electric heaters very much- just an hour when the little boys go to bed in the dead of winter.. and I had to buy some woollen socks(Mongrel socks- Tasmanian made;) )as I get nasty chillblains but I just adore having “real seasons” frost and fog are so beautiful, I found that the cold just is- you know- it just is cold and not “bad” simply cold!Don’t believe what Qlders tell you, I think it is their way of making themselves feel better about living in busy hot humid bright tacky Qld!( Just my opinion of course!)

It is wonderful raising our boys here and gardening where we are is suprisingly easy- we can grow “real plants” and not worry about having to find subtropical substitutes, we can pick blackberries and there are many apple trees on the sides of country roads, the food is wonderful, the scenery second to none- defintely worth the occasional cold tootsie! Anyone who finds it too difficult needs to harden up!(ooh getting a bit militant there!)

Adjustment was easy as it is such a relief and pleasure to live here.

mumof6mumof6

Glad you made it across ok. Let me know when you are ready to come back to Wangaratta for a holiday and convert your bus to veg oil. Welcome to ASL sure to find many helpful people here

Cheers Kylie

sue esue e

we have had 3 trips to tassie at various times of the year but not in winter but as we hate the heat and humidity up here and hardly put more than a cardie on in winter we feel the cold won’t be a problem for us. it is also about lifestyle. it has just got too busy and crowded here for us. i have this mental picture of us trying to cross a road, tottering along on our walking frames while dodging impatient, angry motorists.lol. we really don’t want to end up like that and there are plenty of older Qlder’s who have.so to all you Qlder’s who have made the change- good luck and to all you tassieites who make us feel welcome- thanks. (i hope it doesn’t get over populated like SEQ has!)

bluezbanditbluezbandit

Hi! Another Tasmanian here, in fact I have been here all my life. It’s a wonderful place to build a sustainable life.

dj3dj3

hey so where are you..and how is ur sustainable life going….we are interested in meeting personally..the web is all good and well..but othing beats face to face contact…cheers

dj3dj3

we are interessted in what areas can sustain and if there are already ppl there doing it..so maybe we can live close by or in some other situation…we have found a great block close to nubeena but havent made any real connections with like minded ppl in the area..yet…and just trying to get a feel for where we want to be…

sue esue e

i will be watching this thread for advice as well. we liked up around Scottsdale, Sheffield as well as Ulverstone, Wynyard. but we also liked it around the Huon Valley. there seems to be a lot of places for sale down there. was wondering what is going on. is there some kind of big development happening down there or something?We have friends in the Tamar Valley so it would be nice to be near them but i think it may be out of our price range by the time we get down there.we are looking for reliable rainfall as well as not in the path of aerial spray etc.don’t know how much of that goes on down there but i would imagine any area that is agricultural would have a bit of it going on

dj3dj3

cool yeah loving it…..will let you know when we hit the main land again

dj3dj3

yeah well we are in nubeena at the moment..just with a friend and have found a nice block but unsure with the area yet and still getting a feel for it..we love the weather, julia is from germany and i lived there for 4 years so its a welcome change to the single season central qld life

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.